Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    Actually, it is about motivation. I don't see there is anything else to it.
    no, that's like saying MBTI is about 4 letter dichotomies (in which case, I would be an INTP and an 8w7)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

The problem is I don't see anything else other than motivation. Motivation decides your personality, it influences what choices you make and where you want to go in life. It has everything to do with motivation.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    The problem is I don't see anything else other than motivation. Motivation decides your personality, it influences what choices you make and where you want to go in life. It has everything to do with motivation.
    enneagram is not about personality either
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    enneagram is not about personality either
    I mean, it's called the Enneagram of Personality.

Although, I personally agree more with your OP than with descriptions of Enneagram as a set of inborn personality traits. First and foremost, it's a flippin' lens that distorts how we see reality, yes.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I mean, it's called the Enneagram of Personality.

Although, I personally agree more with your OP than with descriptions of Enneagram as a set of inborn personality traits. First and foremost, it's a flippin' lens that distorts how we see reality, yes.
    The enneatype is a structure of inner patterns which regulate our outter behavior on a type of personality or a style of personality. So, yes it's about your personality, but the point of the enneagram is that it's simply the
    aquired personality and that the real self is behind that.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

This seems an issue of how people are using this phrasing. I always saw emotional motivations to mean a "veil", as something that prevents us from being our true selves because our mindset is preoccupied with maintaining an ego to deal with false beliefs about the world & ourselves. To be freed of the restrictions of the ego, we have to let go of the false belief, which enneagram helps us identify, partly by using personality patterns in how these manifest in people So I never saw enneagram as conscious motivations that drive our literal actions.

Jungian theory seems to deal with the cognitive aspect of the ego & enneagram deals with the emotional part of the ego. Since emotions & cognition are not clearly divided in the mind, then there's obvious overlap with these theories.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    enneagram is a lens that distorts the way that we view reality. in other words, your enneagram describes why and how you are prone to be delusional. knowledge of the enneagram and integration allow us to "lift the veil" so to speak and begin to view the world clearly.
    Yes that's right. However, this distortion causes you to act in certain ways. Motivation is:

Noun:
    1. The reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.
    2. The general desire or willingness of someone to do something.

If we're talking about #1 then, it absolutely has a great deal to do with motivation. It's not your only motivation to be sure but it is motivation nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post

I agree with your point obviously. I hope people here will undestand that Enneagram is NOT about motivations.
    So, it isn't the foundation for our motivations. It does however had a good deal to do with how we behave in certain circumstances - which very much can be said to be what "motivates" us do do something.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

It's true that the enneagram types are about how we distort reality, but with this also comes a specific personality and specific motivations. These are not your "true motivations" - we've created them to cope with the issue that comes with our type.
    Fives, for instance, distort reality by seeing the outside world as too harsh and danger-filled for them (distortion); they then detach and observe (personality), hoping they'll be able to learn how to deal with it from a safe distance (distorted motivation).

I believe instinctual variants, on the other hand, represent our true motivations. That's why we often see variants that seem at odds with the type, such as sexual Fives or Nines, or social Fours.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, I agree. When I thought it was motivation, I thought I was a 4. I'm motivated to be unique, interesting, artistic, etc.

But I'm not deluded that I'm all that unique. What I'm deluded about is that THINGS MUST BE THIS WAY SO I CAN BE SECURE. I MUST HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THESE PEOPLE TO BE SECURE. IF I DO NOT HAVE THESE PEOPLE, I MUST FIERCELY CLING TO THESE VALUES/GROUPS/ORGANIZATIONS. My straight up neurosis is anxiety, and when I was having panic attacks, one of the best ways to get me to be "sane" was for someone very close to me (like my boyfriend or my sister) to hug me very tightly. I am safe as long as I have the support of another. I am a 6.

Integration requires inner centeredness at 9.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes, I agree. When I thought it was motivation, I thought I was a 4. I'm motivated to be unique, interesting, artistic, etc.

But I'm not deluded that I'm all that unique. What I'm deluded about is that THINGS MUST BE THIS WAY SO I CAN BE SECURE. I MUST HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THESE PEOPLE TO BE SECURE. IF I DO NOT HAVE THESE PEOPLE, I MUST FIERCELY CLING TO THESE VALUES/GROUPS/ORGANIZATIONS. My straight up neurosis is anxiety, and when I was having panic attacks, one of the best ways to get me to be "sane" was for someone very close to me (like my boyfriend or my sister) to hug me very tightly. I am safe as long as I have the support of another. I am a 6.

Integration requires inner centeredness at 9.
    I made the same mistake with independence, making me think I was core 8, but 8 is about so much more than that. I am clearly much more 7 than 8.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!