• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] INFJs: what's your enneagram type?

What is your Enneagram type?

• Total voters

Motor Jax

MBTI Type
INFJ
i never took the time to understand the numbers

i would have to see what they mean first

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
so we have

1 type 9
1 type 6
8 type 4

and me, a type 1. interesting.

I'd say that type 1 makes plenty of sense for INFJs... we tend to be principled and perfectionist...

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
My sister, who types as INFJ, is Enneagram Type 9.

cheers,
Ian

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd say that type 1 makes plenty of sense for INFJs... we tend to be principled and perfectionist...

Yes, for a long time I thought I was a One.

The Enneagram goes on to describe our "Prime Addictions", which every type has. They are careful to point out that we have always had these specific addictions and we always will have these same ones. When we endure stress, have out "string pulled", etc., we take on negative traits of another designated type that intensifies it.

In the instance of Fours, our prime addiction is Envy (for example: feeling that others are happier/smarter/better than we are and so we wish we had everything they do without having to work for it). Fours tend to take on the negative traits of Twos to intensify this Envy: Seeks approval, craves attention, find identity through another. People who intensify their prime addiction are considered as being in an unhealthy state. Here's a quote from a book:

"When they have not received enough attention, when life makes them feel ordinary and dull, when they have not been able to own and cherish the qualities that make them unique, [Fours] cling to another person, hoping to become the center of the other's life. They attempt to manipulate the other by sharing deep feelings of love and caring. These emotion-filled expression carry the unspoken message and expectation that a similar response be forthcoming. Clothed in the aura of wounded fragility, they endeavor to impose guilt on the one who fails to care for them."

(Of course the above paragraph would make much more sense of you could read all the other sections about Fours. It is probably slightly harder to apply this statement to yourself when you don't know everything they have said about Fours up to that point.)

We also have a way we neutralize these "Prime Addictions" by taking on the positive traits of another type. Fours in this case take on the positive traits of Ones: Attempts to change the world, hard-working, direct. Taking on these qualities are part of the process of becoming the best self we can be. Here's another quote:

"Ones are preeminently doers, doggedly persevering against all odds. It is through striving to overcome inner conflict and turmoils that [Fours] enter the narrow passageway to perfection. Healthy [Fours] get involved in projects that turn their attention outward [instead of inward]. As they focus on other people and the world, their own energy is activated. No longer expecting to be the center of the universe, they become involved in the betterment of society. This effort releases their natural strengths, heretofore held hostage by their myriad of feelings. Self-sacrifice allows them to achieve goals that benefit both present and future generations. From their inner storehouse of emotions and perceptions, [Fours] can provide insightful analysis and clarity needed to resolve difficult problems and improve existing structures."

This was more descriptive of me than a One. I find I feel like I am at my best when I do things that are very One-like, though I am not always at my best and therefore not always One-like. I guess my mistake was that I figured the "me" that was at my best was the true me.

By the way, this was not an argument that all INFJs are 4's. o_O I just thought this would help other 4's clarify some things.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm a 9w1... but it's been years since I've taken the test so I wonder if anything's changed.

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
According to information contained in The Enneagram Made Easy by Renee Baron and Elizabeth Wagele, the frequency of enneagram types among INFJ's is as follows:

Most common: 4
Quite common: 6 and 1
Less common: 2, 5, 8, and 9
Least common: 3 and 7

A graph can be found at the bottom of this page.

I have most frequently scored highest on 4 and 9, and recently an occasional 2. There is one test that consistently places me as a social 6. In the past I have had the most resonance with type 4 related primarily to the fear of being flawed or defective. I spent some time a few weeks ago exploring other types I'd dismissed previously and found a fairly strong sense of resonance with the fear aspect of type 6 as it concerns social interaction.

For the moment I'm resting as a 6, but keeping the possibility of type 4 open.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
This was more descriptive of me than a One. I find I feel like I am at my best when I do things that are very One-like, though I am not always at my best and therefore not always One-like. I guess my mistake was that I figured the "me" that was at my best was the true me.

By the way, this was not an argument that all INFJs are 4's. o_O I just thought this would help other 4's clarify some things.

I found my enneagram type using a similar process. What really convinced me is the disintegration point. At my worst, I am definitely an unhealthy two. It makes me cringe.

dancinglissa

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm a 4w3. Although that's kind of weird because I'm don't feel the need to be in the spotlight. But when I read a description of a 5, I'm like, "I have no idea what they mean." So I went with the 3 wing.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm a 4w3. Although that's kind of weird because I'm don't feel the need to be in the spotlight. But when I read a description of a 5, I'm like, "I have no idea what they mean." So I went with the 3 wing.

Maybe this could help:

Four With a 3 Wing
Fours with a 3 wing can sometimes seem like Sevens. May be outgoing, have a sense of humor and style. Prize being both creative and effective in the world. Both intuitive and ambitious; may have good imaginations, often talented. Some are colorful, fancy dressers, make a distinct impression. Self-knowledge combines well with social and organizational skills.

When more entranced, often have a public/private split. Could conceal feelings in public then go home to loneliness. Or they could enjoy their work and be dissatisfied in love. Tendency towards melodrama and flamboyance; true feelings can often be hidden. Competitive, sneaky, aware of how they look. Some have bad taste. May be fickle in love, drawn to romantic images that they have projected onto others. Could have a dull spouse, then fantasize about glamorous strangers. Achievements can be tainted by jealousy, revenge, or a desire to prove the crowd wrong.

Four With a 5 Wing
Healthy side of this wing brings a withdrawn, complex creativity. May be somewhat intellectual but have exceptional depth of feeling and insight. Very much their own person; original and idiosyncratic. Have a spiritual and aesthetic openness. Will find multiple levels of meaning to most events. May have a strong need and ability to pour themselves into artistic creations. Loners; can seem enigmatic and hard to read. Externally reserved and internally resonant. When they open up it can be sudden and total.

When entranced or defensive, Fours with a 5 wing can easily feel alienated and depressed. Many have a sense of not belonging, of being from another planet. Can get lost in their own process, drown in their own ocean. Whiny - tend to ruminate and relive past experience. Prone to the emotion of shame. Air of sullen, withdrawn disappointment. May live within a private mythology of pain and loss. Can get deeply morbid and fall in love with death.

dancinglissa

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks so much, wedekit! I've figured out I'm a 4w5. That makes me feel better now. Now I just need to engrave "4w5" into my brain. What type are you?

sych0

MBTI Type
INFJ
Just learned mine yesterday; 4w5. Actually explains a lot...

"i fear that i am ordinary, just like everyone"
Story of my life billy :)

S

Sniffles

I keep forgetting mine. I often get 4 or 9 I believe.

For those who aren't clear about their type, Identifying Your Personality Type : The Wisdom of the Enneagram was helpful to me way back when I was first trying to identify my type. I normally identified myself as a 1w9, but I see why I am not now. Scroll to the very bottom and take the 2-question test without cheating. I would read the questions slowly so you don't jump to inaccurate conclusions. :)

Thanks, I scored BY which according to that means Im a 4. Sounds rather accurate. I remember the first time I read about the archetypes, and upon reading about that type - a chill came over me.

redacted

well i've decided i'm a 9w1 now, so this whole thread seems kinda pointless...

i was feeling very detached from people at that point in time.