• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Plastic Personalities

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This non-Enneagram related page describes the type 3 person really well.
http://www.abovehisshoulders.com/plastic-personalities/

"Perpetrators are notorious for developing an effective plastic, superficial personality. They are charming, engaging and willing to go to any extreme to gain the persons trust. The classic stereotype of the plastic personality is the car salesman. Stereotypes are usually unfair, however are based in a grain of truth. We have all seen the plastic personality type. We have them at our employment, in our families and with our neighbors. Individuals have lost the ability to be REAL. In order to be real and authentic you have to be comfortable in your own skin and you must have some knowledge of who the hell you are as a person..."

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
http://www.abovehisshoulders.com/plastic-personalities/

"Perpetrators are notorious for developing an effective plastic, superficial personality. They are charming, engaging and willing to go to any extreme to gain the persons trust. The classic stereotype of the plastic personality is the car salesman. Stereotypes are usually unfair, however are based in a grain of truth. We have all seen the plastic personality type. We have them at our employment, in our families and with our neighbors. Individuals have lost the ability to be REAL. In order to be real and authentic you have to be comfortable in your own skin and you must have some knowledge of who the hell you are as a person..."

4000083099_0f927272d6.jpg

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Either you haven't read any Enneagram or you're trolling me, because this is too obvious to miss.

"Fearful of losing the positive regard of others because of their increasing competitiveness, average Threes begin to submerge their feelings and authentic self-expression even further, and become preoccupied with creating a favorable impression of themselves."

"After meticulously crafting a 'new, improved' self that others can affirm and accept, Threes may fear that others will see through them and discover that they are not really the fantastic, 'all-together' image that they are trying to project... They want others to admire and envy them, to think that they are absolutely outstanding in every way, that they have it all, that they are nothing less than perfect." (All quotes from Riso.)

Consider the image portrayed by a politician running for office, or Charlie Sheen affirming the "fact" that he is "winning."

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The definition of real will always be the problem. Cause what to some is plastic and to some is real to others is not and never will be.
"Being real" is exactly the same stereotype like "being a car salesman" and people who arguement that way actually do a logical tautology. Its one of the most fundamental questions to philosophy and there is no way to answer it. What is "real" ?

I have no idea why you all mock Edgar.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The definition of real will always be the problem. Cause what to some is plastic and to some is real to others is not and never will be.
"Being real" is exactly the same stereotype like "being a car salesman" and people who arguement that way actually do a logical tautology. Its one of the most fundamental questions to philosophy and there is no way to answer it. What is "real" ?

I have no idea why you all mock Edgar.

I for one have not engaged in any mocking (i.e., derisive imitations) of Edgar's post. "Plastic Personality" is simply another word for "chameleon-like personality." In other words, the type 3 at average level or lower. This is very old stuff.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I for one have not engaged in any mocking (i.e., derisive imitations) of Edgar's post. "Plastic Personality" is simply another word for "chameleon-like personality." In other words, the type 3 at average level or lower. This is very old stuff.

ya and you are my hero, do i not tell you that often enough every day ? :)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The OP sounds condescending. There is no point in discussing anything if you don't have an open mind...

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The OP sounds condescending. There is no point in discussing anything if you don't have an open mind...

Where's your own open mind? Work on cleaning up your own backyard before worrying about someone else's.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Where's your own open mind? Work on cleaning up your own backyard before worrying about someone else's.

[...]

And all the things you listed scream "plastic" and "fake" -- all negative qualities. How is that not stereotyping? :huh:

But meh, whatever. I hate to argue.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And all the things you listed scream "plastic" and "fake" -- all negative qualities. How is that not stereotyping? :huh:

I don't conform to false social standards of speech and behavior.

"Plastic personality" is an old psychiatric term which you've never heard of until now, obviously.

Feelers prefer harmony over arguing - until they get angry.

This stereotyping me as closed-minded is getting really old around here. Back in my day the PC crowd hadn't taken over typology as yet. It would be nice to go back 20 years or so when everybody was fighting over ideas and not merely manners of speech, and there was no attempted thought-control through language. Of course we couldn't say "nigger" and such (not that I would anyway), but standard typological terms were in use and nobody got all huffy over them. I don't need to be educated, thank you.

This is one hell of a prophetic video. Perhaps these students are being sent off to learn that "stereotyping is bad":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YR5ApYxkU-U#t=147s

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The whole point of 3s is that they are "fake". Enneagram is very negative. It seeks to point out in which way you are a deluded human being.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The whole point of 3s is that they are "fake". Enneagram is very negative. It seeks to point out in which way you are a deluded human being.

The Riso Enneagram has levels of development. So it seeks to point out who you are on many levels - 9, to be exact. The type 3 has its good and its bad, just like any other e-type.

G

garbage

I don't see where the OP is so off the mark. The negative traits of 3 are captured pretty well by that concept; they grow into healthier "Levels" by recognizing that such "fakeness" only gets them so far.

As Owlfin hints, the core of all Enneagram types' descriptions (by many authors, at least) are 'negative'; that's exactly the point. All types have some negative traits that get them by in the short term and that they're comfortable with, but that they need to eventually surpass. Elaborating on the 3's negative traits doesn't mean that we view all 3s as fake and shallow.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see where the OP is so off the mark. The negative traits of 3 are captured pretty well by that concept; they grow into healthier "Levels" by recognizing that such "fakeness" only gets them so far.

The OP is condescending and closed-minded. I should request to have this entire thread removed, after which I shall conform my entire life to the Fe way of thinking by conforming to whatever the latest social fads happen to be.

G

garbage

The OP is condescending and close-minded. I should request to have this entire thread removed, after which I shall conform my entire life to the Fe way of thinking by conforming to the latest social fads.
I'd like to think that 'Fe can be used' to mediate and bring people to agreement ;)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to think that 'Fe can be used' to mediate and bring people to agreement ;)

Fe can be used peacefully or angrily. I kind of mentioned that higher up.