• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram Phases?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I too, relate to more than one basic desire in types. In my case, 6 and 7.

You can figure out which type you are by asking yourself, "If I had to, which desire would I give up?" For me, I would have given up the 7 desire if push came to shove, leaving my enneagram type as 6.

6w7.

I can relate to the drivers of my w8 as well as my E7, just not as strong.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION]: what are 9's fear/desires?

:)

Nines are accepting, trusting, and stable. They are usually creative, optimistic, and supportive, but can also be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace. They want everything to go smoothly and be without conflict, but they can also tend to be complacent, simplifying problems and minimizing anything upsetting. They typically have problems with inertia and stubbornness. At their Best: indomitable and all-embracing, they are able to bring people together and heal conflicts.

Basic Fear: Of loss and separation
Basic Desire: To have inner stability "peace of mind"
Key Motivations: Want to create harmony in their environment, to avoid conflicts and tension, to preserve things as they are, to resist whatever would upset or disturb them.

From here

A

Anew Leaf

Nines are accepting, trusting, and stable. They are usually creative, optimistic, and supportive, but can also be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace. They want everything to go smoothly and be without conflict, but they can also tend to be complacent, simplifying problems and minimizing anything upsetting. They typically have problems with inertia and stubbornness. At their Best: indomitable and all-embracing, they are able to bring people together and heal conflicts.

Basic Fear: Of loss and separation
Basic Desire: To have inner stability "peace of mind"
Key Motivations: Want to create harmony in their environment, to avoid conflicts and tension, to preserve things as they are, to resist whatever would upset or disturb them.

From here

Thank you!!

I can see some 9 in me, but 4 is the strongest motivator/fear combination.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I relate to your confusion, Sat - I used to be more 5-like when I was a kid, but college made me less intellectually secure and more 6- and 9-ish in my behavior. :/

From what you've described in your blog, you've been having some internal conflict lately... I suppose that can create a certain "bi-polarity" (in a non-clinical sense) in your behavior ([MENTION=10500]Thunderbringer[/MENTION] once made an excellent post about how every Enneatype had its "counter-vice", not just the Six, I suggest asking him).

Hope you find your "center of balance" soon. :hug:

Silveresque

I relate to your confusion, Sat - I used to be more 5-like when I was a kid, but college made me less intellectually secure and more 6- and 9-ish in my behavior. :/

From what you've described in your blog, you've been having some internal conflict lately... I suppose that can create a certain "bi-polarity" (in a non-clinical sense) in your behavior ([MENTION=10500]Thunderbringer[/MENTION] once made an excellent post about how every Enneatype had its "counter-vice", not just the Six, I suggest asking him).

Hope you find your "center of balance" soon. :hug:

Ooh, I like this counter-vice idea. I just looked up "counter-sloth" and it actually fits me very well, and solves one of the main issues I had with type 9. :)

I've come to the realization that I'm a particular kind of 9 that is not described at all in the literature, which I have given the term "counter-slothic nine." It is exactly as you described. Counter-slothic 9s focus so much on being aware, and fear not being aware of themselves, that they over-indulge in introspection to the point that they actually become asleep to themselves and living their lives. Introspection becomes a substitute for actually living their lives and showing up and drawing attention to themselves.

VagrantFarce

Remember that nines are part of the body/instinct triad -it's not enough to say peace of mind, it's an entirely serene state of being where their whole drive switches off and they collapse into their own body and state of inertia. They become like rocks in a riverbed - no drive of their own, sinking ino the mud, moving with the current when it becomes strong enough but never of their own volition. It isn't fear that drives them, it's a lack of drive, a reliance on inertia, that they must battle with.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think of nines as people with no anger, no anxiety and no shame... they have nothing, which is both good and bad. Not sure if I'm right or not though.

Silveresque

I think of nines as people with no anger, no anxiety and no shame... they have nothing, which is both good and bad. Not sure if I'm right or not though.

I may or may not be a 9, but that's not true at all for me.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think of nines as people with lots of anger that they try to ignore... actually, a lot of things, which they try to ignore.