User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I think the motivations (basic fear/desire) is the heart of the enneagram. I look deep down and ask myself, what the *real* reason I think/feel/want this? Sometimes the reason is masked by an even deeper underlying reason. I peel all the layers until I've reached the core. I know I've reached the core when I discover a desire that I essentially can't live without. I think the characteristics described by a certain enneagram type stem from the basic motivations of that type.

I don't put too much account into tests. They can be a good starting point and help you narrow it down but I wouldn't solely rely on them. Not all of them are that accurate.

If you're having difficulty deciding on a type, feedback from people who know you well can be useful. Sometimes they can see things you can't always see.
    +1. I agree with this entire post. Motivations are definitely the most important, followed by fixation (although I feel like fixation and motivations are so closely linked that you could hardly separate them, but maybe that's just me). If you try to type based on anything else (e.g. external behavior, personal values), I can guarantee that you'll mistype. I would actually advise you, from my experience:

1) Don't trust any Enneagram tests (since each time I took it I got 8<3<1 (EDIT Whoops I meant 8>3>1 -- why do I always mess up those Vs?!), which is totally wrong), and
    2) Regarding the bolded: make sure they REALLY know you well (since I made a "type me" thread and remained mistyped as a 6 for months!).

What I did was only rely on descriptions online -- and there are only certain ones that I like. The enneagram institute ones can be misleading, from my experience, but enneagram.net worked wonders for me.
    Last edited by EJCC; 11-29-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I always tested as a 9, but didn't identify with the description at all. Then, I read the 4 description and ouch, it hurt. I had a very strong emotional reaction to it and I knew instantly I was a 4.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I think the motivations (basic fear/desire) is the heart of the enneagram. I look deep down and ask myself, what the *real* reason I think/feel/want this? Sometimes the reason is masked by an even deeper underlying reason. I peel all the layers until I've reached the core. I know I've reached the core when I discover a desire that I essentially can't live without. I think the characteristics described by a certain enneagram type stem from the basic motivations of that type.

I don't put too much account into tests. They can be a good starting point and help you narrow it down but I wouldn't solely rely on them. Not all of them are that accurate.

If you're having difficulty deciding on a type, feedback from people who know you well can be useful. Sometimes they can see things you can't always see.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    +1. I agree with this entire post. Motivations are definitely the most important, followed by fixation (although I feel like fixation and motivations are so closely linked that you could hardly separate them, but maybe that's just me). If you try to type based on anything else (e.g. external behavior, personal values), I can guarantee that you'll mistype. I would actually advise you, from my experience:

1) Don't trust any Enneagram tests (since each time I took it I got 8<3<1, which is totally wrong), and
    2) Regarding the bolded: make sure they REALLY know you well (since I made a "type me" thread and remained mistyped as a 6 for months!).

What I did was only rely on descriptions online -- and there are only certain ones that I like. The enneagram institute ones can be misleading, from my experience, but enneagram.net worked wonders for me.
    That's what I thought too. Everything stems from the motivations, which makes the motivations the core of the type. Everyone else thinks I'm a 9 because what they see are the surface characteristics. I may be agreeable and indecisive like a 9, but I have 5's motivations (I think, I'm still trying to work this out).

I found Timeless's descriptions on PersonalityCafe very helpful. Those descriptions emphasize the motivations that lead to the characteristics, which is something other descriptions I've read fail to do.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    I may be agreeable and indecisive like a 9, but I have 5's motivations (I think, I'm still trying to work this out).
    My roommate had a conflict like this, when she was trying to figure out the Enneagram. She thought she was a 5 for a long time because she acted like one -- but she knew 100% that the reasons listed were not the reasons why she acted like that. Turns out she's a 1!

So -- you are definitely on the right track.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I thought I wasn't idealistic enough and didn't have high enough standards to be a 1.

It turns out that's a sign for it, not against it, if your behaviour and argumentative focus suggest otherwise.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Enneagram
    5w4

About motivation, everyone fears loneliness. But each type has a different focus in the way they deal with it. E.g. Twos help people so they feel needed, Nines try to avoid conflict as much as they can to keep the peace. Maybe.

I guess the reason why many think you're a 9 is because, apart from being reserved and detached, you don't relate to the qualities that 5s are well-known for - being critical (even if quietly), cautious, cynical, on the negative side, suspicious, and a strong (almost desperate) desire to challenge ideas and figure something out just for the fun of it.

What's the worst thing someone can say to you? What would really hurt you?
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

Glycerine

I picked one that felt the most correct to me. I related to the stress/growth/vice of the five. I listed as a 9 for over a year but I just thought I seemed way too critical/negative/suspicious/argumentative for a 9. Once I settled on a type, I went from to because they all kinda sound like shit after awhile.

MBTI
    ENTP

Look at the integration/disintegration points for each type, and then figure out which one sounds most like you when you get stressed or relaxed. It also helps to see which type fits you closest at your most natural, without any emotional issues getting in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    About motivation, everyone fears loneliness. But each type has a different focus in the way they deal with it. E.g. Twos help people so they feel needed, Nines try to avoid conflict as much as they can to keep the peace. Maybe.

I guess the reason why many think you're a 9 is because, apart from being reserved and detached, you don't relate to the qualities that 5s are well-known for - being critical (even if quietly), cautious, cynical, on the negative side, suspicious, and a strong (almost desperate) desire to challenge ideas and figure something out just for the fun of it.

What's the worst thing someone can say to you? What would really hurt you?
    It's not what people say...It's what they don't say that hurts. In my experience, people are generally too nice to say what they really think if it's something negative. When I feel like I said something stupid or weird and nobody says anything, I'll start imagining what people must think, and it's probably worse than anything they would actually say. So I guess perceived or imagined disapproval from someone I respect is what hurts most.

A lot of my motivations seem to come from fear of being disliked, or of people having a low opinion of me, which may or may not be type related...

Wait a minute...
    I'm VERY cautious. And I'm not usually cynical, but I'm not particularly optimistic either; I tend to be more of a realist. And about the last part...Am I not demonstrating that with the way I've been trying to figure out my type? I'm practically analyzing it to death all the time. How much more analytical do I need to get? :P

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    It's not what people say...It's what they don't say that hurts. In my experience, people are generally too nice to say what they really think if it's something negative. When I feel like I said something stupid or weird and nobody says anything, I'll start imagining what people must think, and it's probably worse than anything they would actually say. So I guess perceived or imagined disapproval from someone I respect is what hurts most.

A lot of my motivations seem to come from fear of being disliked, or of people having a low opinion of me, which may or may not be type related...

Wait a minute...

I'm VERY cautious. And I'm not usually cynical, but I'm not particularly optimistic either; I tend to be more of a realist. And about the last part...Am I not demonstrating that with the way I've been trying to figure out my type? I'm practically analyzing it to death all the time. How much more analytical do I need to get? :P
    I can really relate to this. I found that the only way through this was to forcefully separate my thoughts from my actions and place in the world. It's all about choosing what defines you - your mind and your thoughts, or your body and your actions.

Or, in the immortal words of THE GOD-DAMNED BATMAN

[youtube=PmwLPU5H6_Q]![/youtube]

[youtube=ZG9UrjqyMzw]Get out of your head, and back in your boogie[/youtube]
    Hello