User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Default Do you catch your habits?

Have you started to recognize your own habitual thought processes and patterns of behaviour, and break free from them? I think this is the most fundamental step towards integration, once you know yourself, and know how your 'system' works, you can then work on controlling it's energy (that's obviously the 5 in me speaking, oh the irony)

I am sure now that all 9 types do this (I've been listening in to concioustv, which has been very enlightening), all of the types have described in some way that they have habits, which can sometimes be beneficial (like for example an 8 acting without thinking too much). Other times it may be best to break out of that habit and make a concious effort to do what you are not familiar with doing.

I'm just in the process of doing this now. At first, without guidance I just tried to break free from my own type, without realizing the importance of embracing it when it is working effectively. I can snap out of it, but more often than not, but often I can't help but indulge in the patterns, and I get an intense fear in my gut when I do sometimes.

This morning, while on the bus, I noticed a guy caught in multi-lane traffic pushing his broken down car. Normally, I would watch, but not engage when things like this happen, but this time so I got off the bus and headed towards him to offer help, but he was already gone. I couldn't help feel that fear, and I had so many doubts, typical of 5s, but I pushed through it. I don't know how the 8s can do it so easily, but I could kind of feel what drives them to do it, I just had to quiet my damned head and do it.
    5 3 9

I'm getting better at it, for sure. Trying my best to be emotionally receptive and available - it's growing on me!

I guess this is what maturation is all about - catching the extremes of your behaviour before they take hold of you. You taste the entire spectrum, instead of gorging on one part of it.
    Hello

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 sx/so

I think you're right. I've started getting in the habit of saying, 'This is a 3 thing to say but…'. It's my way of acknowledging my instinctive reaction to a situation and then weighing it up from there so I can take a more measured approach. I think changing habits is all about little things like that—changing it one bit at a time.
    3 INTP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I think you're right. I've started getting in the habit of saying, 'This is a 3 thing to say but…'. It's my way of acknowledging my instinctive reaction to a situation and then weighing it up from there so I can take a more measured approach. I think changing habits is all about little things like that—changing it one bit at a time.
    Well, to every one habit, you can learn a counter habit of snapping out of it

Interesting to see an INTP 3, I heard that it's somewhat common, and I've seen one on INTPc, but I can't imagine what the mix would be like precisely.

It is said that we learn these habits to tackle the world as children, and when we grow up, we keep them with us where they might not be so applicable. But I think that suggests that we don't adapt as quickly to the world as we could when we grow older.
    5 3 9

Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    Have you started to recognize your own habitual thought processes and patterns of behaviour, and break free from them? I think this is the most fundamental step towards integration, once you know yourself, and know how your 'system' works, you can then work on controlling it's energy (that's obviously the 5 in me speaking, oh the irony)
    Yes because how can you change if you don't know how you are? Sometimes just take a step back and realize that you sometimes do the same thing over and over. I'm working on confrontations (9 here - haha).
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Yes because how can you change if you don't know how you are? Sometimes just take a step back and realize that you sometimes do the same thing over and over. I'm working on confrontations (9 here - haha).
    You can change towards what other people tell you to change into, you try to become 'normal', or you try to become a super star etc.. Sometimes people expect you to be extraverted, and they value that quality, so you value that quality too. There are plenty of spiritual guides out there that have their own ideas and values, even if they are not thought out very carefully. I think the main difference between those guides and the enneagram, is specificity. I think the enneagram at heart is subjective, I suspect that there is a point where certain valued traits are picked based on how happy or useful people report they are. This is probably why the system can't be used in psychology, it's foundations are spiritual, like a religion. So it is a religion, disguised as science, that's not a bad thing at all though. Shit, I'm rambling, lol. But this is what I've been clasping at in the other thread I made, something wasn't settling quite right.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Interesting point.

Once I saw all of the little habits that I had locked myself into on print or in type, it became a little easier to recognize my little 1-ish pitfalls and step back from them. So perhaps there's something there, in this spiritual improvement concept. One thing's for sure, it's not a science. But that doesn't mean that it can't be useful once in a while.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

Yup, which is why I've deliberately moved 5 from 8, rather than band-aiding with 2.

Enneagram

Unfortunately, one of my worst habits is constantly monitoring my habits and then I just get trapped in this cycle that makes me cripplingly self-conscious.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Interesting point.

Once I saw all of the little habits that I had locked myself into on print or in type, it became a little easier to recognize my little 1-ish pitfalls and step back from them. So perhaps there's something there, in this spiritual improvement concept. One thing's for sure, it's not a science. But that doesn't mean that it can't be useful once in a while.
    Religion and spirituality are both very important anyway. I wouldn't have thought so before recently though.
    5 3 9