User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    It's sort of like expecting a crisis to break out any minute and fretting and preparing feverishly for the inevitable moment when everything is going to go horribly wrong. You can't be comfortable because you know it's not going to last, so you need to be ready for it and have your defences up and running, etc.
    Are all 5's like that? I don't necessarily expect things to go wrong, and I don't worry about letting my guard down. When there's something I have to get ready for that's making me nervous, I usually just don't think about it so I don't get stressed out.

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Are all 5's like that? I don't necessarily expect things to go wrong, and I don't worry about letting my guard down. When there's something I have to get ready for that's making me nervous, I usually just don't think about it so I don't get stressed out.
    Oh, I don't mean to suggest that all 5's are completely neurotic though I guess my description sounds that way. (What can I say, I'm given to hyperbole.) I think there's a kernel of truth to it though; 5's are typically quite reluctant to engage especially in unfamiliar situations, they're just not the "jump in and get your hands dirty" type, and they like to collect and process information, lots and lots of it.

Why?

I can't believe it's not symptomatic of some sort of anxiety. It's not crippling anxiety by any means (usually) but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Yeah, fives tend to be emotionally and physically very reticent, but mentally very fixated and engaged. That's pretty much what it's talking about. Pathological Fives need to learn that it's OK to engage emotionally and physically (or at least remind themselves to), instead of distracting themselves with meaningless obsessions.

Speaking of which

/logs off
    Hello

MBTI
    IsFJ

The more I find out about the Enneagram, the more depressing it sounds...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

I decided to go through these and bold the ones that apply to me. As usual, the results were wonderfully conclusive.

Type One: It's not okay to make mistakes.
    Type Two: It's not okay to have your own needs.
    Type Three: It's not okay to have your own feelings and identity.
    Type Four: It's not okay to be too functional or too happy.
    Type Five: It's not okay to be comfortable in the world.
    Type Six: It's not okay to trust yourself.
    Type Seven: It's not okay to depend on anyone for anything.
    Type Eight: It's not okay to be vulnerable or to trust anyone.
    Type Nine: It's not okay to assert yourself.

Type One:…. “You are good.”
    Type Two: …“You are wanted.”
    Type Three: .“You are loved for yourself.”
    Type Four: …“You are seen for who you are.”
    Type Five: ….“Your needs are not a problem.”
    Type Six: … ..“You are safe.”
    Type Seven:..“You will be taken care of.”
    Type Eight: ..“You will not be betrayed.”
    Type Nine: ...“Your presence matters.”
    Last edited by 011235813; 10-15-2011 at 08:11 PM.

MBTI
    IxFP

I relate with 4 and 5.
    Easy... 4w5

6w5(sw5w4) Sx/Sp
    INTP

"Some people never go crazy... What truly horrible lives they must lead"- Charles Bukowski

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I relate to absolutely none of the quotes in the OP. If I were to pick a lost childhood message for type 1, it would be "You are imperfect and that's okay", or "No one hates you for being wrong sometimes".

A good one for 1w2 or 2w1 might be "You deserve to be loved."

(Also, here's the ones I related to in the second set:
    Type One: It's not okay to make mistakes.
    Type Two: It's not okay to have your own needs.
    Type Three: It's not okay to have your own feelings and identity.
    Type Four: It's not okay to be too functional or too happy.
    Type Five: It's not okay to be comfortable in the world.
    Type Six: It's not okay to trust yourself.
    Type Seven: It's not okay to depend on anyone for anything.
    Type Eight: It's not okay to be vulnerable or to trust anyone.
    Type Nine: It's not okay to assert yourself.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Type One:…. “You are good.” - Got it from most everyone
    Type Two: …”“You are wanted.” - Got it from my mom, didn't get it from my dad
    Type Three: ...“You are loved for yourself.” - Might have missed this due to the 4 message....but I always felt loved by my mom & other family, that unconditional kind of love too.
    Type Four...“You are seen for who you are.” - Definitely did not feel this. I felt misunderstood a lot by my mom & other family, despite their good intentions. I still don't feel like my dad has a clue about who I am.
    Type Five: ...“Your needs are not a problem.” - I did not get this message from my dad at all, who was wholly unconcerned with my needs; and sometimes I may have lacked it from my mom when she had her depressive periods (again, despite her good intentions). Sometimes my mom smothered also; the inconsistency is interesting....I always felt I couldn't go to people with my needs though. I took to speaking through my older sister at times.
    Type Six: … ..“You are safe.” - I generally got this message.
    Type Seven:..“You will be taken care of.” - I sometimes lacked this, but it did not seem intentional. Sometimes it seems like my parents were unable to care for me due to financial struggles. I felt like a burden at times in that way, even though they never said anything of the sort.
    Type Eight: ..“You will not be betrayed.” - I felt betrayal from my dad when he left, but never by my mom.
    Type Nine: ...“Your presence matters.” - I got this message from my mom & others, but not my dad, as he made little effort to see me growing up.

I don't particularly agree with the following, as I think some miss the core motivation for the type.

Type One: It's not okay to make mistakes. - I didn't get this message.
    Type Two: It's not okay to have your own needs. - I didn't get this message.
    Type Three: It's not okay to have your own feelings and identity. -I sometimes got this message.
    Type Four: It's not okay to be too functional or too happy. - I got this message indirectly.
    Type Five: It's not okay to be comfortable in the world. - I sometimes got this message.
    Type Six: It's not okay to trust yourself. - I didn't get this message.
    Type Seven: It's not okay to depend on anyone for anything. - I didn't get this message.
    Type Eight: It's not okay to be vulnerable or to trust anyone. - I didn't get this message.
    Type Nine: It's not okay to assert yourself. - I sometimes got this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as this, cuz I think that some of the negative versions of these ideas can affect someone no matter how good their parents are
    Agreed. Unless you & your parents are perfect, then they probably sent less than positive messages at times, even if indirectly & very subtly or if it was simply your perception of it; and your emotional motivations will be affected by these messages, even if only a little, so that you're still a generally well-adjusted person.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

I don't understand any of this.

It could my fault, but it's pretty damn vague. Exactly who is supposed to be telling me these things? My parents?

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't understand any of this.

It could my fault, but it's pretty damn vague. Exactly who is supposed to be telling me these things? My parents?
    Authority figures in general, I think.