• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

7 or 8?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, the title pretty much says it all. I am having a difficult time deciding of I am a 7w8 or an 8w7. Or maybe I am neither! I don't know an incredible amount about enneagram, so it would be great to have input.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ring 7: Primary fear is of pain and deprivation. Life's purpose is to avoid both pain and deprivation, to seek, to enjoy, to explore, etc.

Ring 8: Primary fear is of being controlled. Life's purpose is to be in charge, to be on top of things, to be the force of order.

I am ESTP 7w8.
One of my best friends is ENTP 8w7.

We are VERY similar.

BUT - when push comes to shove, I'm a fun-loving person who has their shit together and makes things happen, and he is a very motivated person who also happens to have a bit of a wild streak.

We have THE SAME "innate motivations," but my primary motivation is his secondary, and vice versa.

SO - you might be a 7, 8, 7w8, or 8w7.

Wadda' think so far?

:happy:

-Alex

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ring 7: Primary fear is of pain and deprivation. Life's purpose is to avoid both pain and deprivation, to seek, to enjoy, to explore, etc.

Ring 8: Primary fear is of being controlled. Life's purpose is to be in charge, to be on top of things, to be the force of order.

I am ESTP 7w8.

We are VERY similar.

BUT - when push comes to shove, I'm a fun-loving person who has their shit together and makes things happen, and he is a very motivated person who also happens to have a bit of a wild streak.

We have THE SAME "innate motivations," but my primary motivation is his secondary, and vice versa.

Wadda' think so far?

-Alex

I'm not sure! I think when it comes down to it, I am more of a fun loving person. But I very very VERY strongly oppose being controlled.

I can't tell if that makes up my being. I don't *think* it does.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I am ESTP 7w8.

We are VERY similar.

Wadda' think so far?

-Alex

my 8w7 best friend and I are the same way :yes:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If control isn't the center of your motivation's attention in some way, shape, or form at all times.. I'd consider 7w8. I'm not sure how strongly you really oppose to being controlled, but thinking about it: everything I do in life can be summed up in that single word.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You sound like an Enneagram 7 to me.
Roughly speaking, if an ENTP is more like an ESTP he is usually a 7 and if he is more like an ENTJ he is usually a 8.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'd venture to say seven, just going off the general tone of your posts here. A great number of people are opposed to being controlled, but what I think separates the eight is that it's their primary fear, so the more unhealthy ones will overcompensate by controlling everyone around them too.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You sound like an Enneagram 7 to me.
Roughly speaking, if an ENTP is more like an ESTP he is usually a 7 and if he is more like an ENTJ he is usually a 8.

Hm, I suppose that would make me a 7 :cheese:

By function, I am strong in Ne, Ti, slightly so in Fe and fairly strong (and growing) in Se.

Te only comes in when I am stressed out over procrastinating.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hm, I suppose that would make me a 7 :cheese:

Muhahahaa! Welcome to the best club in the Universe!!! :woot:

By function, I am strong in Ne, Ti, slightly so in Fe and fairly strong (and growing) in Se.

You might even be 7w8, as you've got the Ti and Fe going on... :newwink:

I like being a 7w8, to me it's the best of both worlds.
By nature I am a free spirited adventurer, but I am also very ambitious and motivated.
When properly balanced, these traits allow one to create a very fun, satisfying and successful life.
I'm sure 8w7s do just as well, I don't know any who are a stick in the mud, or a workaholic.

Now then, have you figured out your instinctual variants? (e.g. "SX", "SO, and "SP") :thinking:

:solidarity:

-Alex

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah, 7w8 is by far the best enneagram type out there. I mean really if I read the descriptions...who wouldn't want to be one??

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, 7w8 is by far the best enneagram type out there. I mean really if I read the descriptions...who wouldn't want to be one??

I like it too. w8 cancels out most of the bad aspects of 7 :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION]: yeah, I really don't think I am a 7w6. It was either 7, 8, blah blah. Ti and Fe? I think I am SX/SO, but am not sure. Will take test again :) What about yourself? I don't know much about the variants.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION]: yeah, I really don't think I am a 7w6. It was either 7, 8, blah blah. Ti and Fe? I think I am SX/SO, but am not sure. Will take test again :) What about yourself? I don't know much about the variants.

You're way too assertive to be 7w6.
A very good friend of mine is 7w6, and she has all the fun loving zeal of a 7 or 7w8, but is totally devoid of being brash.
She's nice as can be.
7w8's are nice as can be too, but "our nature" in being as such is just "different," we're definitely headstrong and decisive at a moment's notice.

My Enneagram w/ instinctual variants is 7w8 sx/so. :cheese:
Remember two years ago when I tolf you it seemed we had alot in common, similar attitudes?
Looks like I was right! :newwink:

Cheers,

-Alex

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like it too. w8 cancels out most of the bad aspects of 7 :)

:puppy_dog_eyes: The wing 6 has to help with something, right?

[MENTION=7197]Antimony[/MENTION]: A couple things I've seen on other threads so far have me leaning 8w7. Your resistence of being controlled seems to far overpower any tendencies to avoid pain. Whether you are a fun person or not really doesn't have so much to do with it. But the style of your fun approach to things and possible motivations behind them could. There is kind of a blur because 7w8 and 8w7 are both very big on "freedom" but I think with the 7w8 you get a little more of an 'escapist' quality to it and still some faint sense of an underlying anxiety. 8w7 will have a stronger assertive quality, and more of a sense of an inner rage than anxiety. Or something like that. I'd look at the descriptions and try to get a sense of which triad you are in.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:puppy_dog_eyes: The wing 6 has to help with something, right?
of course it does. 7w6s are adorable, fun and more refreshing than all the other types. many of my favorite people are 7w6 :hug:

A couple things I've seen on other threads so far have me leaning 8w7. Your resistence of being controlled seems to far overpower any tendencies to avoid pain. Whether you are a fun person or not really doesn't have so much to do with it. But the style of your fun approach to things and possible motivations behind them could. There is kind of a blur because 7w8 and 8w7 are both very big on "freedom" but I think with the 7w8 you get a little more of an 'escapist' quality to it and still some faint sense of an underlying anxiety. 8w7 will have a stronger assertive quality, and more of a sense of an inner rage than anxiety. Or something like that. I'd look at the descriptions and try to get a sense of which triad you are in.

don't forget that 7 like 8 is in the assertive/aggressive triad. 7 and 8 are both assertive, high energy and focused on acquisition. 7w8s can look like 8s or 3s because they tend to be very ambitious, strong willed and hard to stop. the difference is, 8s are ambitious for the sake of conquest and 3s are ambitious for it's own sake; 7w8s are ambitious because they have expensive tastes and want to get what they want. we are also like 8s in that we can be VERY aggressive in pursuing freedom and any desired material possessions. the main difference I see between 7 and 8 is that 8w7s pretty never stop. they will fight from the time they wake up to the time they go to bed and do whatever it takes/endure any hardships to get what they want. 7w8s on the other hand aren't quite willing to go as far. this one reason my most entrepreneurs are 8w7s. 8w7s have a lot more grit and endurance and can go years fighting until they reach the top.
also, 7w8s tend to be a lot more chill than 8w7s. 8w7s can be a lot of fun, very silly and playful and be great to have a good time with, but they're never really "chill" so to speak. if things aren't fast paced and intense, they get bored pretty quickly whereas a lot of 7w8s enjoy their down times and breaks (particularly if they're Sp dom)

[MENTION=7197]Antimony[/MENTION]: I think you're 7w8 :hifive:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
of course it does. 7w6s are adorable, fun and more refreshing than all the other types. many of my favorite people are 7w6 :hug:

:yay:

don't forget that 7 like 8 is in the assertive/aggressive triad. 7 and 8 are both assertive, high energy and focused on acquisition. 7w8s can look like 8s or 3s because they tend to be very ambitious, strong willed and hard to stop. the difference is, 8s are ambitious for the sake of conquest and 3s are ambitious for it's own sake; 7w8s are ambitious because they have expensive tastes and want to get what they want. we are also like 8s in that we can be VERY aggressive in pursuing freedom and any desired material possessions.

Oh, the 7 is also in an assertive/aggresive triad? I know that the 7w8 can definitely be assertive and aggresive in pursuing our wants and freedoms, but I was talking about more of these triads: http://www.mindtransformations.com/index.cfm?GPID=12 7 is still in the thinking triad, so still more security seeking, and with the underlying feeling of fear.... and 8 is still in the instinctive triad, so more autonomy seeking and an underlying feeling of rage.

the main difference I see between 7 and 8 is that 8w7s pretty never stop. they will fight from the time they wake up to the time they go to bed and do whatever it takes/endure any hardships to get what they want. 7w8s on the other hand aren't quite willing to go as far. this one reason my most entrepreneurs are 8w7s. 8w7s have a lot more grit and endurance and can go years fighting until they reach the top.
also, 7w8s tend to be a lot more chill than 8w7s. 8w7s can be a lot of fun, very silly and playful and be great to have a good time with, but they're never really "chill" so to speak. if things aren't fast paced and intense, they get bored pretty quickly whereas a lot of 7w8s enjoy their down times and breaks (particularly if they're Sp dom)

I pretty much agree with these differences.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:yay:

Oh, the 7 is also in an assertive/aggresive triad? I know that the 7w8 can definitely be assertive and aggresive in pursuing our wants and freedoms, but I was talking about more of these triads: http://www.mindtransformations.com/index.cfm?GPID=12 7 is still in the thinking triad, so still more security seeking, and with the underlying feeling of fear.... and 8 is still in the instinctive triad, so more autonomy seeking and an underlying feeling of rage.

I pretty much agree with these differences.

I guess my main point was, 7w8s are more like 8s than 8w7s are like 7s. it's much more common for 7w8 to mistype as 8 than the other way around

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

interesting, I got more of an Sp/Sx vibe from your posts, but if you are Sx/So, it makes even more sense that you could mistake yourself for an 8. Sx/So is the most intense, throw caution to the wind instinct variant that could make you appear like an 8.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Type 1 Perfectionism 58%
Type 2 Helpfulness 42%
Type 3 Image Focus 74%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity 66%
Type 5 Detachment 66%
Type 6 Anxiety 42%
Type 7 Adventurousness 78%
Type 8 Aggressiveness 74%
Type 9 Calmness 58%

EVERY TIME I TAKE AN INSTINCTUAL VARIATION TEST I GET A DIFFERENT RESULT *fumes*

This time, I got So/Sp/Sx

The first time I took it, I scored almost nothing on Sp, and scored really high on Sx, and almost as high on So.

Retook the big five- I did a word test.

Extroversion 78%
Orderliness 52%
Emotional Stability 64%
Accommodation 48%
Inquisitiveness 88%

Normally score lower on accommodation and orderliness, higher on emotional stability, I think.

Extroversion results were high which suggests you are overly talkative, outgoing, sociable and interacting at the expense too often of developing your own individual interests and internally based identity.

Orderliness results were medium which suggests you are moderately organized, structured, and self controlled while still remaining flexible, varied, and fun.

Emotional Stability results were moderately high which suggests you are relaxed, calm, secure, and optimistic.

Accommodation results were medium which suggests you are moderately kind natured, trusting, and helpful while still maintaining your own interests.

Inquisitiveness results were very high which suggests you are extremely intellectual, curious, imaginative but possibly not very practical.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Type 1 Perfectionism 58%
Type 2 Helpfulness 42%
Type 3 Image Focus 74%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity 66%
Type 5 Detachment 66%
Type 6 Anxiety 42%
Type 7 Adventurousness 78%
Type 8 Aggressiveness 74%
Type 9 Calmness 58%

EVERY TIME I TAKE AN INSTINCTUAL VARIATION TEST I GET A DIFFERENT RESULT *fumes*

This time, I got So/Sp/Sx

The first time I took it, I scored almost nothing on Sp, and scored really high on Sx, and almost as high on So.

Retook the big five- I did a word test.

Extroversion 78%
Orderliness 52%
Emotional Stability 64%
Accommodation 48%
Inquisitiveness 88%

Normally score lower on accommodation and orderliness, higher on emotional stability, I think.

Extroversion results were high which suggests you are overly talkative, outgoing, sociable and interacting at the expense too often of developing your own individual interests and internally based identity.

Orderliness results were medium which suggests you are moderately organized, structured, and self controlled while still remaining flexible, varied, and fun.

Emotional Stability results were moderately high which suggests you are relaxed, calm, secure, and optimistic.

Accommodation results were medium which suggests you are moderately kind natured, trusting, and helpful while still maintaining your own interests.

Inquisitiveness results were very high which suggests you are extremely intellectual, curious, imaginative but possibly not very practical.

the instinctual variant tests suck. I get a different results about every time too. my guess is still 7w8 Sp/Sx. your high emotional stability points to Sp/Sx