User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type does the paragraph seem to depict?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • It sounds like a 4

    1 12.50%
  • It sounds like a 5

    5 62.50%
  • It sounds like a 6

    1 12.50%
  • It sounds like a big blur of the above types

    1 12.50%
  • It sounds like another type entirely

    0 0%
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 41

  1. #21
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    OK that sounds a lot more like 6.

  2. #22
    Member Alternatum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    Ixxx
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    What does "in with a shot" mean?
    It just means in with a chance, or more specifically here that I would entertain it as a possibility for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    The 6w5 is the "more independent" side of the type 6. The quote provided in the OP sounds vaguely fourish (problem with identity) and more five-ish at the end (minimizing involvement). But from there on out, your comments come across strongly as type 6, and with the independent/withdrawing aspect you've mentioned along the way, definitely 6w5.

    If I may, it doesn't sound like you have a problem with identity, but rather an internal conflict between the underlying motives of your primary and wing types.
    I have a blurred identity and poor self-image, but I don't see these as incompatible with 6 anyway. The independence streak you mentioned is partly manifest by wanting to define myself on my own terms, and I don't feel very engaged with my external self, like it doesn't represent me well enough and is too 'conditioned'. I would say I ultimately seek an identity with which to engage/relate with others that internally resonates and feels truly myself. This is the part of me that is four-ish, but I don't feel it's negative enough to be four.

  3. #23
    Senior Member VagrantFarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    OK, let's not get caught up in insignificant details. Keep it simple.

    • Do you ever feel removed or detached from others, or perhaps get "tired out" by other people easily, and want to retreat into your own head or private space as a result?
    • Do you ever feel as if something fundamental and unspecified about who you is missing, and that you can't help but express your own tragic existence as a result?
    • Do you ever find yourself worrying over whether other people are trustworthy or dependable, and that their lack of dependability will somehow affect you negatively?


    There's a gun to your head - which one?
    Hello

  4. #24
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alternatum View Post
    It just means in with a chance, or more specifically here that I would entertain it as a possibility for me.



    I have a blurred identity and poor self-image, but I don't see these as incompatible with 6 anyway. The independence streak you mentioned is partly manifest by wanting to define myself on my own terms, and I don't feel very engaged with my external self, like it doesn't represent me well enough and is too 'conditioned'. I would say I ultimately seek an identity with which to engage/relate with others that internally resonates and feels truly myself. This is the part of me that is four-ish, but I don't feel it's negative enough to be four.
    The key to understanding Fours is the need for authenticity or living authentically, which is what you mean by "feels truly myself." The need to engage/relate with others is a key motivating factor for the Six. My reading indicates that the Six attempts to put on a shallow social facade, but fears that this facade will readily be seen through and revealed for what it is.

    This has to tie into identity somehow. Because a facade isn't the truth about you. And perhaps it has something to do with the conflict between the needs of the 6 and its 5 wing. A "blurred identity" might describe a person who has invested energy into putting forth various and ever-changing faces, as with the chameleon-like 3 (except for the 6 need to be liked). I'm not suggesting you're a 3, but the 6 uses certain abilities of the 3 for this purpose. So the tie with identity is through the Feeling triad but not the type 4 of that triad.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #25
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    OK, let's not get caught up in insignificant details. Keep it simple.

    • Do you ever feel removed or detached from others, or perhaps get "tired out" by other people easily, and want to retreat into your own head or private space as a result?
    • Do you ever feel as if something fundamental and unspecified about who you is missing, and that you can't help but express your own tragic existence as a result?
    • Do you ever find yourself worrying over whether other people are trustworthy or dependable, and that their lack of dependability will somehow affect you negatively?


    There's a gun to your head - which one?
    Gun to head... Mine would implode first. (over the first two. )

  6. #26
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alternatum View Post
    Yes, but I also fear mistakes in general (though it depends on the enormity of the mistake), and the fact that there is nothing you can do to absolutely ensure physical safety, or things like not getting wrongly convincted of a crime/going to jail.
    Wow, that sounds so six it's nuts. My type six sis also has these totally irrational fears of being wrongly accused of something and being thrown in jail. I don't get it at all.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Wow, that sounds so six it's nuts. My type six sis also has these totally irrational fears of being wrongly accused of something and being thrown in jail. I don't get it at all.
    Now you know where the 6's positive law-and-order attitude comes from.

    Sometimes you may read about this without reference to a deeper cause, such as fear of the law, of the preacher, or whatever,

    I was talking to a salesman at work a couple weeks ago, who was describing himself to me as a hard-working, honest kind of guy. I think I asked him why he was so honest (I don't recall exactly what I asked). He replied that it was more practical to be honest. Because being honest keeps him out of trouble, and such.

    I said, "So really, you're not honest, you're just being practical."

    Although my own honesty with him may not have been very practical - people don't usually take too kindly to such statements, but he's a salesmen and so he has to put up with me - what he said was just such a blatant statement of a policy that can change when, for whatever reason, honesty is not practical. Virtue is not its own reward, it's not any kind of ideal, just a practical element of reality.

    I don't know if the OP can identify with any of this. But as a type 6 OP, it's in like a shot.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #28
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Now you know where the 6's positive law-and-order attitude comes from.

    Sometimes you may read about this without reference to a deeper cause, such as fear of the law, of the preacher, or whatever,

    I was talking to a salesman at work a couple weeks ago, who was describing himself to me as a hard-working, honest kind of guy. I think I asked him why he was so honest (I don't recall exactly what I asked). He replied that it was more practical to be honest. Because being honest keeps him out of trouble, and such.

    I said, "So really, you're not honest, you're just being practical."

    Although my own honesty with him may not have been very practical - people don't usually take too kindly to such statements, but he's a salesmen and so he has to put up with me - what he said was just such a blatant statement of a policy that can change when, for whatever reason, honesty is not practical. Virtue is not its own reward, it's not any kind of ideal, just a practical element of reality.

    I don't know if the OP can identify with any of this. But as a type 6 OP, it's in like a shot.
    Is that what really a type 6 is like? I was considering type 6 for a few months. lol

  9. #29
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Is that what really a type 6 is like? I was considering type 6 for a few months. lol
    In my experience, 6's sometimes speak so highly of principles they seem to be 1s. It depends on the person, but as with my childhood friend, whom I shall call "D," the speeches about principles got tiresome.

    I agree with the whole facade idea as describing 6s, the way they borrow from the abilities of the 3. As for myself, I was a naive 20 year old, who had never heard of typology, and who didn't understand the inner contradictions of my type 6 friend. I don't suffer from contradictions, so they just didn't compute.

    A type 1, on the other hand, is real all the way down. They will simply evaluate and rationally justify anything unusual in their psyches, or in some cases, seek professional help to root out the source of the contradiction with their value-system. Integrity is a way of life for 1s. The 6s, in my experience, hide their contradictions from themselves and others, creating a dual identity for themselves. Sixes become walking contradictions in terms. Even the hypocritical Ones still want to be true to themselves; Sixes want to be "true to themselves" also, at least in the eyes of others. The source of integrity for the One is internal, but for Sixes, it is external, usually social (or tribal).

    Other people are essential to forming the identity of the Six. This is a kind of herd identity. Type 6 hipsters (most likely 6w5) still have to know what the mainstream is doing so they can fly in opposition to it and find their identity in the act of rebellion against the mainstream. Rebellion is another type 6 tactic used in an attempt to convince themselves that they really are "all that," and are not living a lie after all.

    I'm not bashing 6s and favoring 1s here. I did say that 1s can be hypocrites, after all. The problem with 1s is moral perfectionism, which is impossible to humans, so hypocrisy is inevitable.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #30
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    In my experience, 6's sometimes speak so highly of principles they seem to be 1s. It depends on the person, but as with my childhood friend, whom I shall call "D," the speeches about principles got tiresome.

    I agree with the whole facade idea as describing 6s, the way they borrow from the abilities of the 3. As for myself, I was a naive 20 year old, who had never heard of typology, and who didn't understand the inner contradictions of my type 6 friend. I don't suffer from contradictions, so they just didn't compute.

    A type 1, on the other hand, is real all the way down. They will simply evaluate and rationally justify anything unusual in their psyches, or in some cases, seek professional help to root out the source of the contradiction with their value-system. Integrity is a way of life for 1s. The 6s, in my experience, hide their contradictions from themselves and others, creating a dual identity for themselves. Sixes become walking contradictions in terms. Even the hypocritical Ones still want to be true to themselves; Sixes want to be "true to themselves" also, at least in the eyes of others. The source of integrity for the One is internal, but for Sixes, it is external, usually social (or tribal).

    Other people are essential to forming the identity of the Six. This is a kind of herd identity. Type 6 hipsters (most likely 6w5) still have to know what the mainstream is doing so they can fly in opposition to it and find their identity in the act of rebellion against the mainstream. Rebellion is another type 6 tactic used in an attempt to convince themselves that they really are "all that," and are not living a lie after all.

    I'm not bashing 6s and favoring 1s here. I did say that 1s can be hypocrites, after all. The problem with 1s is moral perfectionism, which is impossible to humans, so hypocrisy is inevitable.
    Thanks for the explanation.... quite interesting. I am definitely not a 6 but it definitely sounds intriguing.

Similar Threads

  1. Each type in 3 words.
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-02-2016, 07:32 AM
  2. No Type
    By paulwhy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 09:01 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM
  4. Help figuring out your type?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 354
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 12:12 PM
  5. [NF] What sort of topics are NF type topics?
    By Alienclock in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO