User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

  1. #1
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default If there were a fourth instinct, what would it be?

    I have a couple possibilities:

    Migration Instinct

    General Attitude: Things will be better if I go to another place
    Description: The migration instinct is the desire to solve one's problems or improve one's conditions or chances by traveling to another location. It's the instinct that leads people to drop everything and travel to another country in the hopes that they will have better opportunities there. This may manifest in daily life as restlessness, or an urge to go places seeking excitement. Someone with a strong migration instinct may feel drawn to exploration, which could include anything from going for a stroll through the park to traveling to a foreign country. These are people who can't bear to sit at home all day--they feel a constant tugging to go out somewhere.
    Unhealthy: May feel restless, act on an urge to go someplace for no reason, wander aimlessly with no planned destination, place all one's hopes on the belief that going somewhere new will solve all one's problems
    Evidence in Nature: Migration, immigration, exploration

    Introspection Instinct

    General Attitude: I can solve my problems on my own by thinking about them
    Description: This is the most introverted of all the instincts. People with a strong introspection instinct spend a lot of time reflecting and thinking about issues. They feel that if they think about their problems enough, a solution will come to them. This attitude can cause them to resist help or change even when they clearly need it, stubbornly insisting on solving it on their own. They tend to trust their own judgement and feelings, looking inside themselves for answers. They may do this because they believe that the way to self-improvement and happiness is to attain a better understanding of themselves, or they may simply believe that their minds are key to greater knowledge and understanding of the world. The introspection instinct is responsible for fantasies and daydreams, which may become a way of exercising their creativity.
    Unhealthy: Too much reflection leads to brooding and pessimism. May dwell on past mistakes or overindulge in fantasies and daydreams. They may focus too much on their problems or negative feelings, causing them to feel anxious or depressed. Low self-esteem is likely. May become reclusive.
    Evidence in Nature: This cannot be observed, since the process is entirely internal. However, what human does not introspect? Clearly this is not learned behavior, but some inborn trait or instinct.

    Based on this, I would be In/Mi/Sp/So/Sx.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Aren't there more than 3 instincts anyway? Perhaps hundreds or even thousands?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #3
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    There's thousands, but the enneagram choose to stay at three.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  4. #4
    Senior Member VagrantFarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    They're just one interpretation - there's going to be an infinite number of ways of organising our thoughts, perceptions, behaviours, desires etc. - I'm sure one could spend a lifetime inventing them.

    Whether that'll do anyone any good is another question. It's fairly easy to "think" something into any sort of position or category you want, so long as you perform enough mental backflips.
    Hello

  5. #5
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Ooh! I have another one!

    Procrastination Instinct

    General Attitude: I don't feel like doing this right now/Things will be better if I do this another time
    Description: People with a strong procrastination instinct have a tendency to put things off until later. They can be quite laid back and enjoy taking things as they come. They also like to have fun and generally dislike work. The procrastination instinct often manifests itself in daily life through putting off homework until the last minute to play WOW or some other form of video games, type up useless threads such as this on internet forums, read a book that you find much more interesting than the ones you were supposed to read for English class, or some other form of entertainment. It can also take the form of putting off taxes and bills until later because that stuff's really boring and you'd much rather spend your time taking online personality tests and figuring out your instinctual variant. Who needs taxes anyways?
    Unhealthy: May lead to late assignments, overdue bills, messy houses, and so on. Desire for instant gratification may cause the individual to make poor decisions and miss opportunities. Could risk getting in trouble with boss or parents when important things are put off for too long.
    Evidence in Nature: Lazy students, lazy people, laziness, that feeling when you just don't feel like it, umm...procrastinators unite!...tomorrow!

    This one's a spoof, of course.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    I have a couple possibilities:

    Migration Instinct

    General Attitude: Things will be better if I go to another place
    Description: The migration instinct is the desire to solve one's problems or improve one's conditions or chances by traveling to another location. It's the instinct that leads people to drop everything and travel to another country in the hopes that they will have better opportunities there. This may manifest in daily life as restlessness, or an urge to go places seeking excitement. Someone with a strong migration instinct may feel drawn to exploration, which could include anything from going for a stroll through the park to traveling to a foreign country. These are people who can't bear to sit at home all day--they feel a constant tugging to go out somewhere.
    Unhealthy: May feel restless, act on an urge to go someplace for no reason, wander aimlessly with no planned destination, place all one's hopes on the belief that going somewhere new will solve all one's problems
    Evidence in Nature: Migration, immigration, exploration

    Introspection Instinct

    General Attitude: I can solve my problems on my own by thinking about them
    Description: This is the most introverted of all the instincts. People with a strong introspection instinct spend a lot of time reflecting and thinking about issues. They feel that if they think about their problems enough, a solution will come to them. This attitude can cause them to resist help or change even when they clearly need it, stubbornly insisting on solving it on their own. They tend to trust their own judgement and feelings, looking inside themselves for answers. They may do this because they believe that the way to self-improvement and happiness is to attain a better understanding of themselves, or they may simply believe that their minds are key to greater knowledge and understanding of the world. The introspection instinct is responsible for fantasies and daydreams, which may become a way of exercising their creativity.
    Unhealthy: Too much reflection leads to brooding and pessimism. May dwell on past mistakes or overindulge in fantasies and daydreams. They may focus too much on their problems or negative feelings, causing them to feel anxious or depressed. Low self-esteem is likely. May become reclusive.
    Evidence in Nature: This cannot be observed, since the process is entirely internal. However, what human does not introspect? Clearly this is not learned behavior, but some inborn trait or instinct.
    These are excellent; I seriously think that the should be incorporated into the instinct schemata

    Based on this, I would be In/Mi/Sp/So/Sx.
    I'd be In/Sx/Sp/So/Mi or something like that

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Aren't there more than 3 instincts anyway? Perhaps hundreds or even thousands?
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    There's thousands, but the enneagram choose to stay at three.
    So why the hell are only three being utilized? Isn't that just arbitrary and confusing?

  7. #7
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Yes, it's just a way of categorizing, but they all share the same foundation. They are all about relationships, with the self, another individual, and the group. SP = me, SX = us, SO = them.
    There are simply 3, and everything becomes an extension of them. The relationships can be with objects also. "Me" can be projected onto the environment, which is why the sp may identify with objects & seek to make their home a sanctuary, or find independence in hoarding supplies (ie. food). "Us" can be the person & an experiences. There can be an intensity & passion occurring in an experience similar to an intimate relationship with another person. The sx-dom person is seeking a "high", like you'd get from sex or emotional intimacy (that's partly why it's called the sexual instinct). "Them" can be the world or a vague, undefined "other" the person seeks to identify with or in relation to. It doesn't have to be a specific social group.

    The problem with your examples is they are extensions; they can boil down further to the more basic instinct. If the reason to migrate is new experiences & exploration, then it may be sx (seeking intensity & passion, including experiences, not just relationships). If the reason is to assert independence or seek a more secure life, then it's sp (seeking physical security & self-sufficiency). If the reason is to find a place where one fits in better, to use travel experience as a status marker, to be more aware of other cultures, then it's so (to define self in relation to a group). The solving own problems one reeks of sp, BTW.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  8. #8
    Senior Member Vizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    229

    Default

    If there's a Denial Instinct, then I have it.
    I can deny myself of insurance, intimacy and society.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

  9. #9
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    I thought the instincts were specifically about how we relate to people (or don't). I guess a good 4th instinct would be "The Narcissism Instinct". Always and forever focuses on self and automatically frames all situations around "how does this effect me, how do I feel?"

    *edit* Lol "narcissism instinct" sounds like a very negative way to say "self-preservational" now.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    me
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Yes, it's just a way of categorizing, but they all share the same foundation. They are all about relationships, with the self, another individual, and the group. SP = me, SX = us, SO = them.
    There are simply 3, and everything becomes an extension of them. The relationships can be with objects also. "Me" can be projected onto the environment, which is why the sp may identify with objects & seek to make their home a sanctuary, or find independence in hoarding supplies (ie. food). "Us" can be the person & an experiences. There can be an intensity & passion occurring in an experience similar to an intimate relationship with another person. The sx-dom person is seeking a "high", like you'd get from sex or emotional intimacy (that's partly why it's called the sexual instinct). "Them" can be the world or a vague, undefined "other" the person seeks to identify with or in relation to. It doesn't have to be a specific social group.

    The problem with your examples is they are extensions; they can boil down further to the more basic instinct. If the reason to migrate is new experiences & exploration, then it may be sx (seeking intensity & passion, including experiences, not just relationships). If the reason is to assert independence or seek a more secure life, then it's sp (seeking physical security & self-sufficiency). If the reason is to find a place where one fits in better, to use travel experience as a status marker, to be more aware of other cultures, then it's so (to define self in relation to a group). The solving own problems one reeks of sp, BTW.
    Precisely. Migration seems sx/sp and introspection sp/sx,

    I don't think we need more than three instincts because how a person approaches one thing, is how they will approach others (resulting in as you mentioned, projection).

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] What would it be like if NF's were the majority?
    By sych0 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM
  2. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 09:30 PM
  3. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 09:07 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 05:49 AM
  5. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 07:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO