• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Birth order and enneatype

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone read anything about birth order and enneatype, regarding any consistent correlations? Any books to recommend, or links to share? What brings this to mind is I was wondering the other day if e8s tend to be older siblings, but I'm curious about whatever correlations exist for any type.

I'm also wondering about instinct variant. I'd be surprised if birth order played much of a role in variants, though I am curious about similar stackings between siblings.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1st born: 1, 3, 8
middle born: 2, 4, 6
last born: 7
only child: 5, Sp 8

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm the eldest, and I'am a 6, my young brother is a 7. Actually, it's a pattern I often see actually: the eldest child is a 6, the second one is a 7, especially if they are of the same sex.

I think it's because the eldest have to deal with an inexperienced, unpredictable, more severe and less prepared authority, and receive more reponsability, while the second have to deal with a more stable, more carefree and safe environment and can use charm and manipulation more easily to disarm authority because they are more cute and the parents are more at ease and friendly with them.

G

Glycerine

Eldeat, 7w8
2nd: 4w5
3rd (youngest for 8 years):6w5?
youngest: 5w6

Starry

Has anyone read anything about birth order and enneatype, regarding any consistent correlations? Any books to recommend, or links to share? What brings this to mind is I was wondering the other day if e8s tend to be older siblings, but I'm curious about whatever correlations exist for any type.

I'm also wondering about instinct variant. I'd be surprised if birth order played much of a role in variants, though I am curious about similar stackings between siblings.

Interestingly...the only thing I have ever come across with regards to enneagram and birth order...did have to do with with instinct variants. It was just this little blip that stated 'e7s that were oldest siblings were most likely to be self-preservation first' (not very helpful for your thread - I know...but I will still see if I can find where I got that).

^^other than that...I've never read anything on this subject...but I haven't been searching either. I am now very interested in what people might know about this.

Keeping in line with the responses...(my family)

Oldest 7w6
2nd counterphobic 6 (unsure of wing)
3rd 7w6
4th 1w2

My father was an only child of a domineering ExFJ mother...and he is INTJ 5w6 (counterphobic 6 wing)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One example I can think of:

Oldest - 7
Middle - Counterphobic 6
Youngest - 4

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's because the eldest have to deal with an inexperienced, unpredictable, more severe and less prepared authority, and receive more reponsability, while the second have to deal with a more stable, more carefree and safe environment and can use charm and manipulation more easily to disarm authority because they are more cute and the parents are more at ease and friendly with them.

I've noticed this too. Older siblings are like trial subjects, and then parents become more laid back with the younger ones. It's really frustrating for the oldest to watch the younger ones get away with things they would never have gotten away with. I can remember several of my eldest-sibling friends constantly complaining about that when we were younger.

As for me:
Older sister 9w8 sp/so (not certain of instinct variant, certain of etype)
Me 5w4 sp/sx

Starry

One example I can think of:

Oldest - 7
Middle - Counterphobic 6
Youngest - 4

This example is similiar to mine and thus is of interest to me. Do you know the MBTI's involved? Or the parents MBTI's? No biggie if you don't...but like I said it is of interest to me :)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't seen anything about how birth order influences enneatype, but I'm an only child and 4w5 sp/sx.

B

brainheart

I'm the youngest of six and I'm a 4w5. There's a four year span between me and my closest sibling. I think it contributed to my feeling of disconnect. They were this big established group before I came along. I always felt like I showed up late to the party. And then they all left for college so pretty much every year for most of my childhood someone was abandoning me.

In my family the offspring goes-

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an only child, enneatype 1. I'm still not entirely sure of my wing, which annoys me, but my variant is probably sp/sx.

My father was generally supportive, but very often away on business. My mother was a stern disciplinarian and somewhat overbearing; I knew when I'd done something right because instead of criticizing me, she would say nothing. I remember getting a B+ on a science test once, and she asked me what had happened (meaning I had failed). I've really only scratched the surface here, but I don't want to come off as angsty - it just makes sense to me that this contributed to the development of my one-ness. My parents, by the way, are most likey 5w6 (father) and 2w1 (mother).

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm the youngest child of two. 6w5, phobic sp/sx (not quite sure of instinct stackings but think that's it).

My older brother (four and a half years older) is probably ISTJ, probably a 5, not sure of wings, probably sp-first.

My mother is probably INTJ 5w4 sp/sx.

Dad is IxFJ and hmmm...I think he's either 6w5 like me, or a 1, not sure of wings. Probably sp/so or sp/sx. He's a lot like me. It almost wouldn't surprise me if we were both 6w5 sp/sx and maybe even both INFJs, though I am not sure. I think it's just possible he's an ISTJ with strong F, but I really think he's a Feeler.

FWIW, I think my parents genuinely treated us pretty equally but were a little harder on my brother. My brother clashed more with our dad and I clashed a little more with our mom, probably pretty typical. We were good kids, really. I like to remind them that we gave them a much less hard time than many kids do their parents. ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a 7 and my younger sis is a 4... doesn't follow you guys' rules :)

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
older sister 7w6 so/sp
older brother 5w6 sp/sx
me 8w7 sx/so
younger brother 8w9 sx/so

even though my younger brother and i are both 8s,
we're very different in so many ways. i'm more of a
firecracker. and he... well... he's a volcano.

mom 2w3 so/sx (but maybe 3w2...)
dad 9w1??? or 1w9??? sp/??

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm the eldest of 4, 6w5 sp/sx as far as I can tell.

I have no idea on my siblings' enneatypes, though. I know too little of both enneatyping and their personalities.

If I were to hazard a guess,

2nd eldest - 5, maybe 4. possibly even 6.
3rd eldest - really not sure, since she's extremely, extremely introverted and anxious (especially socially). possibly a 9 since she's extremely conflict-avoidant. maybe 6 since she's terrified of everything.
youngest - whatever type fits the ExFP temperament best. 7? 8?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1st born: 1, 3, 8
middle born: 2, 4, 6
last born: 7
only child: 5, Sp 8

1st born: 7, 5, 1
Middle: 6, 8, 2
Youngest: 9, 4, 3

Wild guess

L

LadyLazarus

Eldest(me)- 4w3 sx/sp
2nd oldest- 1w9 sp/so
2nd youngest-9w1 so/sp
Youngest- 7w6 so/sx

I don't think birth order has too much influence on a person's enneatype, although I do kind of see how being the eldest may cause one to develop 8-ish traits. I'm not an 8 but I am the only one of my siblings with 8 in their tritype as well as being the only one who is sx first. I think being the eldest may have played a hand in being the only one to develop(I believe we develop our personalities and are not just born the way we are)an 8-fix; I had to learn to be the assertive, decisive one, and being the eldest is probably also why I've grown up to be kind of bossy.

gromit

likes this
I have no idea what all my siblings' enneagrams are... if I had to guess I'd say (in birth order)

• Older brother: ???
  • Me: e9
  • Sis: e4
  • Sis: e2
  • Bro: e9 or e5
  • Sis: e7

This is all made up though, so I wouldn't even use it for data [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION]...