• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Birth order and enneatype

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The youngers in my family (both sides) tend to be withdrawn types. I think it is just coincidence, though. Established professionals even explicitly say there's no definitive link between birth order and type.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do think the theory that oldest siblings are often 6 stands as a guideline. There are obviously no hard and fast rules when it comes to birth order and type, but perhaps certain types are more likely in older or younger siblings (though no combination is impossible certainly). I can see type affected much more by circumstances, types of other family members etc.

Just to add my sibling observations:
Older brother - 6w7 So/Sp, 628
Me - 4w5 Sx/Sp, 458
*workaholic, physically absent Father.

Eldest Aunt - 4w3?
Middle Aunt - 7w6
Mom - 2w3, Sp/So, 269
*Parent death in childhood.

Dad - 8w7 Sx/Sp
Uncle - 9
Aunt - 6
*very meek single Mother household.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm an only child. 7w6 so/sx (ENFP). My mom is 2w3 so/sp (ENFJ) and my dad is 5w6 sp/sx (ISTJ).

Here's my family friends' birth order:

1st born: 1w9 sp/so (ISTJ)
2nd born: 4w3 so/sp (INFJ)
3rd born: 7w6 sp/so (ESFP)
4th born: too young to type, but the relationship he has with his parents (parenting) might produce 8w7

counting foxes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Interesting idea. I'd go with the theory that first-borns are most likely to be ones or sixes, though I think "quality" of parenting would play a large part, whether or not the child's needs are being met by the parents etc on what type is developed by the child. My mum's family has a pretty stereotypical representation of this: the eldest daughter is a one, the middle daughter is a seven and the youngest is a nine, bringing more weight to the 'parents (and therefore their children)are more chill the more experienced they become' theory.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I'm a 4w5 and my brother (3 years younger) is a 7w8.

á´…eparted

passages
I am an only child, and 1w2.

My mother is the oldest of 3 and is 9w8.

My father is youngest of 6 and is 1w2.

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a 5w4, my younger brother is a 9w1.

The oldest of my cousins is 8w7 or 7w8.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a 4w5 sx/sp only child.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm oldest and a 7w6 sx/sp. Also the only perceiver in my family. <- Not exactly the typical "responsible oldest", but i've always been the peaceful one. easy going, peacemaker type. i'm the weird one, the "free spirit" that nobody understands and is simultaneously praised and punished for being so. but always very affectionate to everyone.

My middle sister is 6w7 sp/so ISFJ <- the "responsible one", also the most difficult as a child. lots of tantrums, refusal to do things, etc., but the most caregiver-y one of us all. natural born mom. has always been very fearful.

Youngest is 9w8 sp/sx. She's ISTJ. <- she was overwhelmed by all the chaos i think. being the youngest, she very much wanted to just be left in peace, not dragged around too events and surrounded by conflict that was over her head. she's always just done her own thing, the only one of us able to fly under the radar and get away from family without it being a major issue. (i of course have 7-ish escapist desires that were looked on as my attempt to rebel agaisnt or abandon my family). she's chill and strong willed.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am the oldest and an enneagram 9 sp/sx. My younger sister is a 1w9 sp/so(ISTJ), my youngest sister is a 9w1 so/sx(ENFP) and my younger brother is a 9w8 sx/so(ENFP).

My parents are both the second youngest in their respective families and are both 6w7's as well.(Father= ENFJ, Mother= ISFP)

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am the oldest and an enneagram 9 sp/sx. My younger sister is a 1w9 sp/so(ISTJ), my youngest sister is a 9w1 so/sx(ENFP) and my younger brother is a 9w8 sx/so(ENFP).

My parents are both the second youngest in their respective families and are both 6w7's as well.(Father= ENFJ, Mother= ISFP)

That's a shit ton of 9s. How did your parents do it?? :ohmy:

Aurora James

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In my family:

Eldest: 4w5 so/sp

Youngest: 3 sp

velveteen

Senior citizen
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was the only child for 12 years. My sister is only 14, and therefore a bit hard to type, but I'm fairly certain she's an ISFP e9 (possibly 9w8).

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
We're pretty much all over the board. No 6s or 7s though. Lots of heart and gut types. That explains SO much. :laugh:

Me (22): 3w2
Brother (20): 4w3
Brother (17): 5w6

Mom (oldest of 3): 9w8
Dad (oldest of 3): 1w2

Paternal Grandma (oldest of 3): 4w3
Paternal Grandpa (Only): 1w9
Maternal Grandma (5 of 6): 2w3
Maternal Grandpa (2 of 3): 8w9

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm the oldest out of two kids and I'm 7w8,3w2, 8w7. My little brother is an INFP, but for enneagram, he seems like he could be a 6 or a 4.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Father: ENTJ e8 sx/sp
Mother: ISTJ (unsure IV and enneagram, possibly e5)

Sister: INTP e5 sp/so
Me: INFP e9 so/sx
Sister: ISFJ e1 sp/sx (mistyped her as e6 for long, now that I know her better, she's as e1 as you can get).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Only child, 1w2 so/sx.

Dad is the oldest of 2, and is 5w6 so/sp with a strong 6 wing, strong Fe, and VERY strong so. Never met another 5 who felt such a strong need to serve their local, regional, and global community. His younger sister is probably 7w6 or 9w1.

Mom is the youngest of 3 -- though effectively an only child because of the huge age difference between her and her siblings -- and is 1w2 so/sp. Her older sister is likely a 1w2 sp/sx? and I have no idea about her older brother. Maybe 7w6.

g0lightly

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Speaking from experience as an only child, I think that we have some very four-ish tendencies. Babied in youth (and sometimes into adolescence... oops) but still very individualistic and like to come off as such. No real desire to compete with others because we never competed with siblings for our parents' attention, but this can also mean that we're inattentive to the needs of others. At the same time, we have a strong need to be seen as refined and DO need to clamor for attention when we learn that people in the real world won't automatically dote over us like our parents did.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Birth order mainly takes presidence in my opinion in more organized "nuclear" families from single family homes after WWII. In my family, we grew up extended, knowing cousins, half raised by other relatives, our old people dying at home. That's how my youngest sister ended up being an ESFJ 9w8 who feels it's her duty to caretake the family. She's the BABY yet she says things like why don't I get to be weak, when she constantly volunteers to mother her own mother and nag her sisters, and keep the family together. Though my one middle sister is the typical mess of a middle child (actually, not a mess, more of a sociopathic asshole) my other middle sister is an ISFJ who is possibly a 4, who is an artist but used to be a super hard worker, she managed Taco Bell when she was like twenty, always gently unobtrusively giving too much to others, and a natural married mom without much ambition. She could be a 2, but it doesn't explain her artsy streak or teenage leather outfits.