• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Odd Enneagram/MBTI combinations, all the oddballs rejoice!

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't understand why people don't want to admit to being 6s. Is it because it's so common? I feel like 6 fits me so well, even better than 4, and I thought I was a 4 for a long time, but I was just one of those 4w3/6w7 mix-ups. 4w3 is still in my triad though.

I'm proud to be a 6.

I don't think it's even because it's supposed to be common. Having googled a lot about it on the internet, it seems a lot of people think it's "not nice" or "cowardly" or even that it's not a real enneagram type but only an unhealthy manifestation of others. Sigh.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Spoken like a true introverted thinking five... :) some of us like the messiness of life.

So you're content with occasional doom and gloom feelings? That's self-acceptance then, although I don't think you explained how you achieved it, did you?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The general forum's accuracy in typing individuals have disintegrated within the past year.

B

brainheart

So you're content with occasional doom and gloom feelings? That's self-acceptance then, although I don't think you explained how you achieved it, did you?

I'm a four... I feel most ' me' when I'm in the depths of despair, or extreme feelings of any kind. I don't like it as much as I used to, so I don't trigger it so much anymore, now I engage in it primarily via creative pursuits vs personal. I do know, though, I'm going to go there sometimes. I just make sure I don't do anything life-altering in those moments, try to channel it into art instead.

Edit- also I take mood stabilizers, which was a really tough thing for me to convince myself to do. I was terrified that I would no longer feel things as strongly and therefore I would no longer be me. My muse would be dead. And it did flatten things out, and I did change, which makes me a little melancholy, I mourn the old me. But for the sake of my marriage, the health and happiness of my children, and so I wouldn't go and kill myself, I figured it had to happen. So the pros outweigh the cons.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think it's even because it's supposed to be common. Having googled a lot about it on the internet, it seems a lot of people think it's "not nice" or "cowardly" or even that it's not a real enneagram type but only an unhealthy manifestation of others. Sigh.

I don't understand why? 3s at their worst level are basically sociopaths, 4s get a bad rap for being depressed and self-absorbed, and an unhealthy 9 seems MUCH more cowardly to me than a 6...so I'm not buying any of that.

6 is very nice at healthy levels...has more to do with loyalty, community building, trust...I just looked at the health levels for 6 in another thread, and 6s are actually made to sound like the suburban good citizens starring in a 1950's sitcom.

B

brainheart

I don't understand why? 3s at their worst level are basically sociopaths, 4s get a bad rap for being depressed and self-absorbed, and an unhealthy 9 seems MUCH more cowardly to me than a 6...so I'm not buying any of that.

6 is very nice at healthy levels...has more to do with loyalty, community building, trust...I just looked at the health levels for 6 in another thread, and 6s are actually made to sound like the suburban good citizens starring in a 1950's sitcom.

Maybe it has to do with the modern stigma associated with the words, "loyal, responsible, steadfast", as if those qualities make you boring or conservative or something. Those traits, however, are beautiful, noble qualities which can actually make for a very controversial, revolutionary figure. Or, just a very nice good person. My type six daughter can fall into a lot of the six traps: she's very afraid, gets very anxious, can be suspicious of people's motives, but she would also never turn on a friend, she is not afraid to speak her mind and go against something if it could potentially cause her harm, and she is the opposite of a sheep- she's not going to do something just because everyone else is. She knows her values and she lives by them. And she is very likeable, knows how to work with others. Not to mention, she has a great sense of humor. I admire her in many ways.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I'm an ENTP enneagram 9 with 7 and 2 wings (if they can be called wings), sx/so/sp.

In another thread, someone didn't think that was possible, and ENTP was not listed on the chart with 9, so I guess it is kinda weird. Someone else suggested maybe I'm counter-phobic. From what little I know about enneagram, that made sense to me.

Is it healthy to be counter-phobic?

Edit: I'll give some background info. When I was younger, I used to be very blunt and honest. When I moved to the west coast and discovered people's extreme aversion and negative emotional reactions to blunt honesty here, I learned to tone it down a lot. It does bother me to inadvertently cause discord that way. I have the urge to be a peacemaker when there is conflict. I can also be very paranoid about political difficulties at work and find it incredibly stressful to deal with, which is probably typical of both ENTPs and E9s, except that most ENTPs probably find it less stressful than I do.

Having said that, I'm also very determined, and people have called me fearless, so maybe that supports the counter-phobic argument? I dunno.

In my 20s, I tested as E7 (more typical of ENTP), but I think that was just a phase. For most of my life, I've felt like I have a purpose to fulfill (haven't figured out yet what it is :laugh:), but I went through a phase in my 20s when I figured my purpose was just to have as much fun and discover as much as possible, which seems pretty typical of E7 and ENTP. Now I'm back to trying to figure out a better purpose than that, some way of improving the world around me, which seems like an E9 way to be.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am apparently a 2w3 Sx/So. Is that weird for an ExFJ?

fairly common yes, although you don't strike me as very 2-ish. that's not to say you're not, but I don't see any of the negative aspects of 2 in you. if you are a 2, you're pretty integrated to 4 :yes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
fairly common yes, although you don't strike me as very 2-ish. that's not to say you're not, but I don't see any of the negative aspects of 2 in you. if you are a 2, you're pretty integrated to 4 :yes:

Met him in person. Even from that brief exchange I have no problem seeing him as 2w3 and an Fe dom.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an ENTP enneagram 9 with 7 and 2 wings (if they can be called wings), sx/so/sp.

In another thread, someone didn't think that was possible, and ENTP was not listed on the chart with 9, so I guess it is kinda weird. Someone else suggested maybe I'm counter-phobic. From what little I know about enneagram, that made sense to me.

Is it healthy to be counter-phobic?

Edit: I'll give some background info. When I was younger, I used to be very blunt and honest. When I moved to the west coast and discovered people's extreme aversion and negative emotional reactions to blunt honesty here, I learned to tone it down a lot. It does bother me to inadvertently cause discord that way. I have the urge to be a peacemaker when there is conflict. I can also be very paranoid about political difficulties at work and find it incredibly stressful to deal with, which is probably typical of both ENTPs and E9s, except that most ENTPs probably find it less stressful than I do.

Having said that, I'm also very determined, and people have called me fearless, so maybe that supports the counter-phobic argument? I dunno.

In my 20s, I tested as E7 (more typical of ENTP), but I think that was just a phase. For most of my life, I've felt like I have a purpose to fulfill (haven't figured out yet what it is :laugh:), but I went through a phase in my 20s when I figured my purpose was just to have as much fun and discover as much as possible, which seems pretty typical of E7 and ENTP. Now I'm back to trying to figure out a better purpose than that, some way of improving the world around me, which seems like an E9 way to be.

2, 7, and 9 would be your tritype (heart, head, body). If your 9 has wings, it would be 9w1 or 9w8.

Did you look at the thread on "levels" that was posted in this section? Perhaps you should read through both 9 and 7 and see which one has the most levels that have consistently fit you in varying phases of your life. :)

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
2, 7, and 9 would be your tritype (heart, head, body). If your 9 has wings, it would be 9w1 or 9w8.

Did you look at the thread on "levels" that was posted in this section? Perhaps you should read through both 9 and 7 and see which one has the most levels that have consistently fit you in varying phases of your life. :)

OK I'll read more about it when I get a chance, thanks!

G

Glycerine

I don't understand why people don't want to admit to being 6s. Is it because it's so common? I feel like 6 fits me so well, even better than 4, and I thought I was a 4 for a long time, but I was just one of those 4w3/6w7 mix-ups. 4w3 is still in my triad though.

I'm proud to be a 6.
For me, I considered 6 for awhile but I didn't feel that the "motivations" truly fit me. Sure, I can be very anxious and neurotic at times but the "being prepared" because I thought people/things were out to get to me was rarely the true reasoning for things I do. I wanted to have things and plans ahead of time for my own security and comfort.... I can relate to the stinginess/hoarding/ambivalence of the social relationships of the 5's descriptions more than the 6 description of socially engaging the world.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, I considered 6 for awhile but I didn't feel that the "motivations" truly fit me. Sure, I can be very anxious and neurotic at times but the "being prepared" because I thought people/things were out to get to me was rarely the true reasoning for things I do. I wanted to have things and plans ahead of time for my own security and comfort.... I can relate to the stinginess/hoarding/ambivalence of the social relationships of the 5's descriptions more than the 6 description of socially engaging the world.

the behaviors you described are more Sp than 5 :yes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Well I related to 4 because I thought "yes I am creative and I feel different and unique!" I actually get 4 on a lot of enneagram tests.

I never even considered 6 until Aramis mentioned it in vent. Then some other people who have interacted with me a lot said "heh no not 4." And then Simulated World suggested I might be a 7w6 like him (and I didn't think I was quite extroverted or a rock star enough to be a 7). I had to look it up, and I realized that 6w7 made a ton of sense since it frequently gets confused with 4w3 (which is what I thought I was).

But what really convinced me is that several years ago, in college, before I really got into type theory, I jokingly referred to myself as sounding like a female, liberal Rush Limbaugh in one of my Live Journal posts...and I thought with sudden self-awareness "this is me. This is absolutely me." I even have a history of anxiety and panic attacks.

G

Glycerine

I guess I don't relate to the phobic/counterphobic dimension much and needing to find some sort of authority/group. I am fairly compliant until I feel like I am being controlled/smothered, then I lash out. That was the deciding factor for me.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I don't relate to the phobic/counterphobic dimension much and needing to find some sort of authority/group. I am fairly compliant until I feel like I am being controlled and I lash out. That was the deciding factor for me.

that tendency is definitely connected to the 6 wing :yes:

G

Glycerine

that tendency is definitely connected to the 6 wing :yes:

That makes sense but couldn't that also be a connection to eight or would the eight have completely different motives? I am just curious. :)