• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying to think of names of groups of Enneagram types

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
In my system there are 12 enneagram types, each organised into 3 boxes of 4, Ive worked out names of these groups allright, but now I just need need help trying to name a more traditional grouping of these types.

I'll just describe the 3 boxes first so you can see how it all fits together,

1>8>12>3 Controlling
2>5>13>7 Composure
4>11>6>9 Deprivation

Basically the types seem to be grouped based on how one might expect someone to adapt to a traumatic situation; one can try and exert more control over your environment, one can focus on the self and attaining a particular aura or composure and lastly one can give up, or give way (relent) to the forces that hinder you, perhaps most exemplified in the type 11 (psychopathy).

I think wanted to organize the types into another 4 categories more similar to the gut-head-heart typology...

I don't suppose anyone has a convieniant 4 levels of thought/thinking in their back pocket?

I think the types could look something like this (please bear in mind i'm organizing these groups based on how similar the state of mind is, not behavior[so for example, try imagine the very intellectual nature of the critical mind running in a 1to the very gut feel of mistrust a 6 must undergo)

1-9-13 Intellectual
3-4-2 Emotional
8-6-5 Disposition-al
12-11-7 inclination-al

Can anyone come up with better words.....

resources on my theory: http://ge.tt/8947GG7

Last edited:

Silveresque

Interesting. I'm not sure what all this means, but maybe you should consider a new name for it. If you have 13 types, enneagram (ennea = 9) doesn't really work anymore. Maybe you could call it a dodecagram?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1>8>12>3 Controlling
2>5>13>7 Composure
4>11>6>9 Relenting

Eh. I do not relent. I adapt or entrench. I cannot relate to that archetype umbrella.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
Eh. I do not relent. I adapt or entrench. I cannot relate to that archetype umbrella.

I will presume your a 4... 4's have relented their temperance (perhaps Loss is a better group title), your behavior, infused with the passion of envy probably leads you to be precise and exacting in how you calculate coming off well to others, rehearsing conversations in your head etc. All because you are trying to make up for a (perhaps unconscious) lack.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will presume your a 4... 4's have relented their temperance (perhaps Loss is a better group title), your behavior, infused with the passion of envy probably leads you to be precise and exacting in how you calculate coming off well to others, rehearsing conversations in your head etc. All because you are trying to make up for a (perhaps unconscious) lack.

Yes, 4w5.

There is something else I don't strongly identify with. Envy. It doesn't mean I don't experience it, I just don't think it's the engine that powers my missing link motor boat. Perhaps it's just a semantics issue because I think of envy as wanting what others have because you think it's better. I find myself cherry-picking skills or qualities I admire, trying them on for size, and either discarding them or "evolving" them because ultimately I trust my own judgment more than others about what suits my purposes or what is a best fit. Envy seems to imply a naive or non-critical longing for whatever others possess. Hrmm, I will have to think more on this.

Interesting system.

FYI, I tried to click your link, but my security software said it was a malicious site.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, 4w5.

There is something else I don't strongly identify with. Envy. It doesn't mean I don't experience it, I just don't think it's the engine that powers my missing link motor boat. Perhaps it's just a semantics issue because I think of envy as wanting what others have because you think it's better. I find myself cherry-picking skills or qualities I admire, trying them on for size, and either discarding them or "evolving" them because ultimately I trust my own judgment more than others about what suits my purposes or what is a best fit. Envy seems to imply a naive or non-critical longing for whatever others possess. Hrmm, I will have to think more on this.

Interesting system.

FYI, I tried to click your link, but my security software said it was a malicious site.

The website is a google utility site from the Google web store... try google "ge.tt" to view the google listing description.

Anyway, I like to believe language, when it comes to the passions, has been confused by modern connotations and conversational usage etc. Envy means desiring to be seen in a better light, often invoking a rather sad tone in 4's, and if one happens to suffer from mistrust aswell, the tone in the voice can often be ascertained as lonely. This general sadness in 4's (not an emotion but the tone) I believe emanates from the unconscious longing (produced by an ever present lack). A lack that impels a desire, and let me add a lack can not be posited without recourse to the idea of a whole... so we have an idea that one is not whole, which impels a desire to compensate for this lack... Does this not seem exactly like what the originators of the term envy could mean, that was then adapted to fit functional conversations about conscious thinking?