User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I am not wrong, they blend mostly, but sometimes they want different things. they are not always in agreement with each other. So wants to blend in with the group, but an So 4 is going to be more tentative about blending in because they don't want to loose their identity. I don't need to be an expert on the enneagram to know that, nor do I claim to be. it's a simple concept and common sense to anyone who knows even a little bit about it.
    it's not nearly as simple as you're making it, social instinct doesn't mean 'blending in' necessarily, especially not for a 4. you're just making up your own definitions like in the ISFPs are more N than INFPs thread.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    it's not nearly as simple as you're making it, social instinct doesn't mean 'blending in' necessarily, especially not for a 4. you're just making up your own definitions like in the ISFPs are more N than INFPs thread.
    no shit Sherlock, I already said that. I have not made up definitions for anything, you are putting words in my mouth. noticing correlations and irony is not making up definitions, but if you are unable to make even that distinction, then I've wasted too much time already.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

if you would like a classic example of conflicting enneatype and instinct variant:
    Judge Claude Frollo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, 1w9 Sx/Sp. the conflict between his Sx infatuation with Esmerelda and his unhealthy 1 tendencies towards hatred of Gypsies and rigid morals and behavior drove him insane
    Hmm, yes unhealthy sexual 1's can find themselves in such conflict between their superego and desires, I'll give you that. But that is the only type.
    INFP 5w4 Sx/So

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Hmm, yes unhealthy sexual 1's can find themselves in such conflict between their superego and desires, I'll give you that. But that is the only type.
    no, there are plenty of other examples.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

no, there are plenty of other examples.
    Such as?
    INFP 5w4 Sx/So

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Talking

no shit Sherlock, I already said that. I have not made up definitions for anything, you are putting words in my mouth. noticing correlations and irony is not making up definitions, but if you are unable to make even that distinction, then I've wasted too much time already.
    good, we agree that you're wasting your time glad we could find some common ground, holmes.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Such as?
    off the top of my head

1) Self Preservation 7s when faced with the option of doing something thrilling but potentially dangerous. the 7 pull is saying "hell yeah! that looks fun!" but the self preservation instinct is saying "ah HELL no! there is no way I'm going to do that and risk dying". this happens to me all the time. going to amusement parks in particular is like a war between Self Preservation and 7

2) Self Preservation and 8 can come into disagreement when someone is holding leverage over you and treating you like shit. a classic example (that applies to all types, but especially 8s) is when your boss is just being a douche bag. Self Preservation says "just stay cool, you don't want to loose your job" while the 8 tendency is "fuck this, I'm verbally bitch slapping this fool"

3) Social and 4 come into discord when the Social instinct wants to fit in or do something to fit in with the group that the 4 desire for individuality would be opposed to. for instance, the social instinct want to dress in a way that is relatable to their friends and identifies them as one of the group, but the 4 desire says "no, I want to dress in a way that expresses me. I want to stand out and be outrageous"
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

off the top of my head

1) Self Preservation 7s when faced with the option of doing something thrilling but potentially dangerous. the 7 pull is saying "hell yeah! that looks fun!" but the self preservation instinct is saying "ah HELL no! there is no way I'm going to do that and risk dying". this happens to me all the time. going to amusement parks in particular is like a war between Self Preservation and 7
    The basic desire of type 7 is to be happy and fulfilled, not having fun. If it happens to you often, it is more likely because of your Sp/Sx instinct.

2) Self Preservation and 8 can come into disagreement when someone is holding leverage over you and treating you like shit. a classic example (that applies to all types, but especially 8s) is when your boss is just being a douche bag. Self Preservation says "just stay cool, you don't want to loose your job" while the 8 tendency is "fuck this, I'm verbally bitch slapping this fool"
    That's a question if integrity more than anything.

3) Social and 4 come into discord when the Social instinct wants to fit in or do something to fit in with the group that the 4 desire for individuality would be opposed to. for instance, the social instinct want to dress in a way that is relatable to their friends and identifies them as one of the group, but the 4 desire says "no, I want to dress in a way that expresses me. I want to stand out and be outrageous"
    Social instinct wants to have a place within a social structure that transcends themselves but that does not mean So-doms adjust their behaviour to fit in.
    INFP 5w4 Sx/So

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

The basic desire of type 7 is to be happy and fulfilled, not having fun. If it happens to you often, it is more likely because of your Sp/Sx instinct.
    you're right, but the overlap is tremendous between fun and happiness. it is very much a 7 vs Self Pres war

That's a question if integrity more than anything.
    I agree, but complying with the wishes of authority goes against the nature of 8; whereas defying the authorities and risking loosing one's job would go against the nature of self preservation. thus, 8s have a more difficult time in subordinate positions than other types do (although I'm sure no one likes it)

Social instinct wants to have a place within a social structure that trascends themselves but that does not mean So-doms adjust their behaviour to fit in.
    it does if adjusting their behavior is required or perceived as such to fit in. just look at an american high school. you cannot deny that adjusting behavior to fit in is not So motivated.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

brainheart

I know exactly what elf boy is talking about, actually, and I've read way too many books about the enneagram. (I'd guess around ten.)

While you guys were arguing (unbeknownst to me) I was thinking about me and my social instinct, facing the disturbing possibility that crap, maybe it is my dominant instinct. It's a bitch and I hate it because more than anything I want to be honest and open about expressing myself but I'm overwhelmingly self- conscious (how will others react) and I don't want to insult or offend those I love aka my social group. It's not just wanting to be part of the elite crowd, we fours (like anyone) aren't so one- dimensional, but also consideration of those who matter in our lives. I think that's why social fours can often be anti-social: wanting to be unique and honest while being accepted isn't so easy. Not to mention, sure yeah, I'd love to be a part of the expats in paris or the beats or hang with current musicians, writers, etc, but I'm too freaked to try because my stuff probably isn't as good and I'm not cool enough, so it becomes this unattainable longing as I spend too much time moping on sites like this.