I actually find 1s & 3s easy to confuse, especially when a person is a Feeling type. Both can seem driven, organized, holding high standards, etc.
I want to generally compare & contrast them, but also with a view to typing my INFJ.
I was leaning towards 3w4 for my INFJ, but now I'm thinking 1 (1w2?) is very plausible after reading about possible misidentifications between the two. I went through the descriptions & find them both equally applicable in some areas & equally not applicable in others...so needless to say, I am stumped.
A few things about him:
- has a strong need to be in some position of authority, and tends to resent those who are authorities whom he doesn't see as qualified
- strong need to be admired & seem inspirational to others, likes to feel useful & needed
- can appear very status conscious & ambitious, but denies these as motivations
- when stressed, has mini emotional meltdowns where he'll wallow a bit, but then suddenly regroups quickly
- is definitely aware of his emotions (3s supposedly are not so aware...?)
- can appear cool & aloof with people at first, but can get mawkishly sentimental with those close to him
- hates the idea of not being unique....likes to be different from others & goes out of his way to be different
- can neglect close family/friends by being distracted by "lesser" people seeking his help
- can be paranoid about how others view/treat him, thinking people are out to get him or have some personal bias against him
- can be very insistent on organization, but is not mean about it & is more principle-oriented than stuck on rules....friends affectionately call him "Nazi" and "pitbull"
- can be overly critical of things because his taste is narrow & picky, but he'll admit this flaw
- has expressed he gets tired of "putting on a performance" in order to get ahead with people he thinks dislike him
- places this huge emphasis on being sociable & friendly & interacting with people, but then is very quiet & reserved socially, hanging back at parties to observe
- people often view him as a bit snobby
- sometimes complains people don't do as much for him as he does for them in a half-joking manner, but it's not true
- he seemed a lot less aware or interested in others' expectations of him when he was a child (according to him) & even rejected the avenues of achievement set before him,; as a child he sounded very Ni, but as an adult his Fe is quite obvious, so this definitely could account for that difference