• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you idolize...

Do you idolize your secondary enneagram type (tritype)?

• Yes! I do, I wish I could be like that all the time!

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Err...no, there's a reason I'm mainly the first type here.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No, I idolize my third type actually.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Don't know, who cares.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Not sure...sometimes, perhaps :)

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

rav3n

Isn't a component of the theory of tritype, having multiple coping tools, if the first set doesn't work, etc?

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't a component of the theory of tritype, having multiple coping tools, if the first set doesn't work, etc?
Isn't the whole thing based on how you switch strategies when the initial approach isn't working?

Let's say you're an 8 and things aren't working out. You change strategy to something similar to a 6. But does your motivation change?

rav3n

Isn't the whole thing based on how you switch strategies when the initial approach isn't working?

Let's say you're an 8 and things aren't working out. You change strategy to something similar to a 6. But does your motivation change?
Agreed on the first rhetorical question.

Isn't it possible to have multiple motivations? Are we all singularly focused or are we multi-dimensional?

G

Ginkgo

I think the point is, how you would characterize your "heart" motivations, "head" motivations, and "gut" motivations, seeing as everyone encapsulates all three, but uses one gear over the others.

Eh... it gets a bit tedious and makes the process of growth enneagram nourishes too complicated. You become more aware of yourself and clear the fog off the windsheild by recognizing your vices, virtues, and coping strategies. I don't know about you guys, but mine are pretty habitual. Adding in the tritypes would be useless; the wing is significant, but just only.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed on the first rhetorical question.

Isn't it possible to have multiple motivations? Are we all singularly focused or are we multi-dimensional?

Problem is that contrary to a popular belief, the enneatype is not about motivations. It is about the way you see the world and toward what angle you perceive information, it represents your mode of attention. The 9 enneatypes represent 9 pieces of the whole map of human condition, everybody, as a human being, is confronted to human condition and is potentially able to see the world toward the 9 point of view, and to be multidimensional. Enneagram say that when you are entranced, you are stuck in the attention mode of you enneatype at the point that you lose your ability to consider another way to deal with life and see the world, and lose your ability to be multidimensional.

So, it's useless to determine what are your "3 dimension" because the enneagram show you what your personality is when you are "uni-dimensional" and because enneagram say that when you leave your trance, you can be multidemensionals, but in 9 ways, not only 3. In comparaison with the original enneagram, the "trifix" theory is actually limitating, and wrong.

G

Ginkgo

Problem is that contrary to a popular belief, the enneatype is not about motivations. It is about the way you see the world and toward what angle you perceive information, it represents your mode of attention. The 9 enneatypes represent 9 pieces of the whole map of human condition, everybody, as a human being, is confronted to human condition and is potentially able to see the world toward the 9 point of view, and to be multidimensional. Enneagram say that when you are entranced, you are stuck in the attention mode of you enneatype at the point that you lose your ability to consider another way to deal with life and see the world, and lose your ability to be multidimensional.

How about we call them "fixations"?

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

So, it's useless to determine what are your "3 dimension" because the enneagram show you what your personality is when you are "uni-dimensional" and because enneagram say that when you leave your trance, you can be multidemensionals, but in 9 ways, not only 3. In comparaison with the original enneagram, the "trifix" theory is actually limitating, and wrong.
When are we entranced and how do we become multidimensional? Does this also make integration/disintegration useless theory?

rav3n

By your subjective perception, trifix is wrong. This isn't to say that it doesn't work for others. And who's to say that we don't have three dominant "fixations", as defined by Gingko.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about we call them "fixations"?

Fixations are the way you perceive the word. Simply another way to call it.

When are we entranced

You are entranced when you are focused on the attention mode of your type at the point to be unable to act differently.

[quoteand how do we become multidimensional?[/quote]

Simply when you make efforts to be open to other dimensions of life. Or when specific situations of life make you experiment the point of view of another type. For example, a breakup or a feelingo of rejection from people can make you feel that a source of happiness have been denied to you, like a 4, confrontation with a teacher with a very square teaching can make you think that there's one good way and one wrong way to do everything, like a 1, a victory in a fight can make you feel that protection and respect are gained when you are powerful, and indentify with that feeling of strength, like a 8. etc.

Does this also make integration/disintegration useless theory?

No. It's part of the original model, and it show what point of view we adopt in stress/security situation.

By your subjective perception, trifix is wrong. This isn't to say that it doesn't work for others. And who's to say that we don't have three dominant "fixations", as defined by Gingko.

It's basically impossible to have any interesting discussion with you because you have never any arguments to explain why your ideas are better except "you opinion is subjective, everything is subjective, blablabla", which is wrong.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ya know what, I'm all for constructive debate and derailing if need be, but let's stick to the topic in this case and see if people wanna explain how they feel tritype works for them and if the second one in particular is their fav (kinda like in mbti where people tend to be proud of their aux as they don't even notice their dom)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have to admit I don't understand tritypes, but I'm a 4w5 and I greatly admire 1s. I like myself better when I'm 'integrating' towards 1. They seem to have their stuff together and have this inner firmness and strength that I aspire to have :blush:

Little_Sticks

I once thought tritype might have merit and then I realized I wasn't a 9w8, but a 6w5 and that when I got this right, my integration point was 9 and my disintegration point was 3, which are the types that were in my supposed tritype.

So at best I would say your secondary tritype is going to be a manifestation of your development in your original type. And I also agree with Speed Gavroche that there doesn't seem to be a tritype.

Plus there's really no scientific validity for the way that enneagram divides the types into heart, gut, and thinking - the types are much more than that and categorizing them so simply to logically justify tritypes seems rather absurd.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see evidence of using 9....

1) as 6w5, ask for information
2) don't obtain it, but obtain the wrong answers from the wrong people
3) as 9, agree with them just to get out of the situation, because you realize that trying to pry answers out of them would be too much work and you are tired. And/or, agree with them just because you don't want to deal with their crap lol.....

I need to actually look more into tritype. I know that I am using more 8 and 4 in the past 10 years.... definitely. I test with high 8 and 4 as well, but it seems to be that I do use 9 more than those, when something else isn't working.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have high score on 4 and 8 because 4, 6 and 8 for the reactive triad, not because you have 4 and 8 on your "trifix", that's bullshit. 6s often get high score on 4 and 8 because they are reactives, you're far to be alone in that case.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have high score on 4 and 8 because 4, 6 and 8 for the reactive triad, not because you have 4 and 8 on your "trifix", that's bullshit. 6s often get high score on 4 and 8 because they are reactives, you're far to be alone in that case.

So you don't think that when 6w7 isn't working, you go to an action more like another type to try to get what you want, or to deal with the situation?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's two part in your personality : the aquired personality, and the essence. The acquired personality is your enneatype, with the mental fixation and the passion of the heart. The essence is the holy idea and the virtue of your type. When your acquired personality stop working, you move to your essence, not to another fixation. Of course there's the integration/disintegration point but that has nothing to do with the "trifix" shit.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's two part in your personality : the aquired personality, and the essence. The acquired personality is your enneatype, with the mental fixation and the passion of the heart. The essence is the holy idea and the virtue of your type. When your acquired personality stop working, you move to your essence, not to another fixation. Of course there's the integration/disintegration point but that has nothing to do with the "trifix" shit.

Ahhh ok.... I have to look into this more..... and I suppose, observe my behaviors more closely.