Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Differences between dominant types with different wings

it seems like the wing can completely change the character of people with the same dominant type (in particular 3s, 7s and 8s seem to be drastically different depending on the wing). how to relate to and consider yourself different from your opposite wing?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

brainheart

i don't think it makes as huge of a difference as people like to think, really.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    i don't think it makes as huge of a difference as people like to think, really.
    I agree. People with the same dominant type are going to be more similar overall than different. The wings, along with the variants, allow for more nuances. That's not to say there aren't any differences but I don't think they are as great as people sometimes make them out to be.

If you put two random enneagram type 5's together, chances are two 5w6's are going to be more alike than a 5w6 and a 5w4. But the 5w6 and 5w4 will probably be more alike than a 5 and someone of another enneagram type.

I'm a 5w6. Compared to the 5w4s, I tend to be more technical, precise, and scientific in my way of thinking. I am less tolerant of ambiguity and look for ways to reduce it. I'm less artistically inclined and care more about security and acceptance.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post

If you put two random enneagram type 5's together, chances are two 5w6's are going to be more alike than a 5w6 and a 5w4. But the 5w6 and 5w4 will probably be more alike than a 5 and someone of another enneagram type.
    I'm curious, SuchIrony... Do you think 5w4s relate more to 5w6s than to 4w5?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I think it would depend on how strong their 4 wing was. Some 5w4's might relate more to 4w5 if their wing was particularly strong. Others don't identify as much with their wing even though one may be dominant.

I'm a 5w6 and I identify more with 5w4 than with 6w5. I think my wings are fairly balanced but 6 is most likely my dominant wing. I don't have an extremely strong wing either.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Variant will have impact on perception so bear in mind that my comments about this have been pulled straight out of my ass.

8w9's appear to be less in your face than 8w7's although off the top of my pointy head, I can't recall any 8w7's who don't lead with sx.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I has a bigger impact on how different you perceive yourself, rather than on how others perceive how different you are from the other-wing variant.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

brainheart

I'm not such irony, but... I think initially it can seem that way sometimes but as the two types get to know each other the differences of being a heart vs a head triad type become pretty obvious. As my 5w4 friend says of me, I'm too much of a poet to be a 5w4, while he's too analytical to be a poet. (I'm not saying he can't write poetry, he was talking in a romantic poet sort of way. He can't let go of his head, I can't let go of my heart.)

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I'm not SuchIrony either...but, I think this is a good question I relate much more to 8w7 and don't relate to 7w6 at all. similarly, I relate to 1w9 but not 1w2, 3w4 but not 3w2, 4w3 but not 4w5, 5 but neither of the wings and 8w9 more than 8w7. my initial reason for thinking 8 was it was the only type were I at least kind of related to both wings, but in reality I could just have a stronger/more developed wing than main type
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    IsFJ

Thanks for the responses! I didn't mean to derail the thread or anything...