• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Differences between dominant types with different wings

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it seems like the wing can completely change the character of people with the same dominant type (in particular 3s, 7s and 8s seem to be drastically different depending on the wing). how to relate to and consider yourself different from your opposite wing?

B

brainheart

i don't think it makes as huge of a difference as people like to think, really.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i don't think it makes as huge of a difference as people like to think, really.

I agree. People with the same dominant type are going to be more similar overall than different. The wings, along with the variants, allow for more nuances. That's not to say there aren't any differences but I don't think they are as great as people sometimes make them out to be.

If you put two random enneagram type 5's together, chances are two 5w6's are going to be more alike than a 5w6 and a 5w4. But the 5w6 and 5w4 will probably be more alike than a 5 and someone of another enneagram type.

I'm a 5w6. Compared to the 5w4s, I tend to be more technical, precise, and scientific in my way of thinking. I am less tolerant of ambiguity and look for ways to reduce it. I'm less artistically inclined and care more about security and acceptance.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
If you put two random enneagram type 5's together, chances are two 5w6's are going to be more alike than a 5w6 and a 5w4. But the 5w6 and 5w4 will probably be more alike than a 5 and someone of another enneagram type.

I'm curious, SuchIrony... Do you think 5w4s relate more to 5w6s than to 4w5? :thinking:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm curious, SuchIrony... Do you think 5w4s relate more to 5w6s than to 4w5? :thinking:

I think it would depend on how strong their 4 wing was. Some 5w4's might relate more to 4w5 if their wing was particularly strong. Others don't identify as much with their wing even though one may be dominant.

I'm a 5w6 and I identify more with 5w4 than with 6w5. I think my wings are fairly balanced but 6 is most likely my dominant wing. I don't have an extremely strong wing either.

rav3n

Variant will have impact on perception so bear in mind that my comments about this have been pulled straight out of my ass.

8w9's appear to be less in your face than 8w7's although off the top of my pointy head, I can't recall any 8w7's who don't lead with sx.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I has a bigger impact on how different you perceive yourself, rather than on how others perceive how different you are from the other-wing variant.

B

brainheart

I'm not such irony, but... I think initially it can seem that way sometimes but as the two types get to know each other the differences of being a heart vs a head triad type become pretty obvious. As my 5w4 friend says of me, I'm too much of a poet to be a 5w4, while he's too analytical to be a poet. (I'm not saying he can't write poetry, he was talking in a romantic poet sort of way. He can't let go of his head, I can't let go of my heart.)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm not SuchIrony either...but, I think this is a good question :yes: I relate much more to 8w7 and don't relate to 7w6 at all. similarly, I relate to 1w9 but not 1w2, 3w4 but not 3w2, 4w3 but not 4w5, 5 but neither of the wings and 8w9 more than 8w7. my initial reason for thinking 8 was it was the only type were I at least kind of related to both wings, but in reality I could just have a stronger/more developed wing than main type

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Thanks for the responses! I didn't mean to derail the thread or anything... :blush:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a 5w6. Compared to the 5w4s, I tend to be more technical, precise, and scientific in my way of thinking. I am less tolerant of ambiguity and look for ways to reduce it. I'm less artistically inclined and care more about security and acceptance.

Yeah, I don't think the Fives are as vastly different as the Eights, for example. But I'm definitely on the 5w4 end of things, I need the infusion of Four to feel alive; what feels good and right to a 5w6 (as you describe here) to me holds far less interest and feels empty/bleached out in some way. (To pick one particular shared field where focus differentiates, in speculative fiction it seems common for 5w6 to veer into the scifi angle and 5w4 into fantasy/horror even if both are highly imaginative and explore "human" issues). It's diving into the ambiguity and passion/intensity of emotional dynamics and meaning that catches my interest, and there's a very "personal-ness" to things, where I am looking for what makes people uniquely them, and special, which fits with Four focus -- the need to be recognized and/or set apart in some way.

When I deal with 5w6, I feel they are cooler/colder in the analysis, need clearer delineation, whereas I like everything hotter and jumbled together into one textured resonance; they're more digital to my analog, in a way.

And, like SI mentions, I think yes, if there's a strong 4w5, I can make a connection there.

Alternatum

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Enneagram
I can see both 6w5 and 6w7 within me.

I only say the former is slightly dominant due to 'persistence' of thoughts - I'll tend to stick with a general line of thought until I'm satisfied I've properly explored or analysed it (for the time being), but am easily distracted if not really interested in something.

The differences between 6w5 and 6w7 are over-defined - there is a definite 'smudging' effect that means someone with a 5 wing can have some 6w7-ish traits and vice-versa. I assume it's the same for all types.