123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default The Enneagram - We Are Not Our Type

I've been learning a little on Enneagram lately and recently read/heard that we are not really our Enneagram type. It is a "learned personality." Our type is just a template that we fit into. It's not the real us. It's a distortion or immature development of our true and basic nature.

By understanding our type and how that manifests itself in our daily lives, we gain greater self awareness and move towards freeing ourselves from the tyranny of how we overcompensate. We gain an appreciation for our default way of responding and are able to observe how we react from an outside perspective, considering things in a broader context. We learn to have more compassion for ourselves, begin to acknowledge our gifts more fully and better appreciate our own inner wisdom.

I wonder how some of this might relate to MBTI or functions.

Any reactions on this?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I once took a test that told you your actual MBTI, your projected MBTI, and your preferred/desired MBTI. Or at least, something along those lines. It was pretty interesting, and probably reflected a lot of enneagram distortion of one's MBTI. I wish I could find it now and had the patience to sit through it. For people going to seek it, I'll have you know that it isn't very accurate. I just find the idea behind it fascinating and useful.
    MBTI: INxP
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Multiple Intelligence: Linguistic/verbal, intrapersonal.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeZero View Post
    I once took a test that told you your actual MBTI, your projected MBTI, and your preferred/desired MBTI. Or at least, something along those lines. It was pretty interesting, and probably reflected a lot of enneagram distortion of one's MBTI. I wish I could find it now and had the patience to sit through it. For people going to seek it, I'll have you know that it isn't very accurate. I just find the idea behind it fascinating and useful.
    interesting
    actual MBTI: ENFP
    preferred MBTI: INTJ or INFP
    projected MBTI: ENTJ
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've been learning a little on Enneagram lately and recently read/heard that we are not really our Enneagram type. It is a "learned personality." Our type is just a template that we fit into. It's not the real us. It's a distortion or immature development of our true and basic nature.

By understanding our type and how that manifests itself in our daily lives, we gain greater self awareness and move towards freeing ourselves from the tyranny of how we overcompensate. We gain an appreciation for our default way of responding and are able to observe how we react from an outside perspective, considering things in a broader context. We learn to have more compassion for ourselves, begin to acknowledge our gifts more fully and better appreciate our own inner wisdom.

I wonder how some of this might relate to MBTI or functions.

Any reactions on this?
    Yes.

i don't think it is related with MBTI, though. The thing is that from early childhood we realise that the world is not a paradise, our enneatype is a basic proposition through we solved informations and a our focus of attention associated when we felt insecured in our early childhood. Our essence is what we refind when we are able to keep our aquired personality at distance.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

What we were isn't what we are now but what we are now isn't what we are either that's what we will be???

Sounds like trying to state that what you end up being is your "true" self and that everything else is some kind of stage? Sounds nice, bit romantic though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

What is the "real" us anyway?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    What is the "real" us anyway?
    Good question. Literally speaking, we are the real us, regardless. It leads one to believe that, by making a baseless conjecture like there is a "real us", you could make some dough publishing books on how to achieve it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

There are some cases where the psychology we inhabit aren't reflective of where we'd be happiest/most effective/balanced. If the state of being happy/effective/balanced is referred to as what we're like as our "true" selves then yes the statement has validity.

Another case of someone not keeping it simple?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    What we were isn't what we are now but what we are now isn't what we are either that's what we will be???

Sounds like trying to state that what you end up being is your "true" self and that everything else is some kind of stage? Sounds nice, bit romantic though.
    You seem to have a few problems of understanding.

Nobody has talked about "true self" here.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I got it from the OP
    "It's a distortion or immature development of our true and basic nature. "

The definition of "True self" that I use, I should note, is not one I've gotten from any book or literature.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?