User Tag List

First 123 Last

brainheart

Well that's why the parental orientation seems like it would be key when it comes to enneagram. Starts with your primary relationships, how you perceived them, and how you coped. I think your enneagram is kind of your personality crutch, what you rely on for stability. But you wouldn't need it if you weren't injured. So as you become healthier, less reliant on that crutch, you transform into something not confined by type. So a healthier person is going to seem less the type, more difficult to type. It would seem, anyway.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    What is the "real" us anyway?
    That's the debate -- are we discovered, or constructed, or some combination of both? And to what degree? And how would we figure this out?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/history.asp

The above is the history of enneagram which includes this Ichazo concept:

As we saw in Chapter 1, we all inevitably lose contact with the ground of our Being, with our true identity as Spirit or Essence.
    But if you read this, it's conflicting:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp

Everyone emerges from childhood with one of the nine types dominating their personality, with inborn temperament and other pre-natal factors being the main determinants of our type. This is one area where most all of the major Enneagram authors agree—we are born with a dominant type. Subsequently, this inborn orientation largely determines the ways in which we learn to adapt to our early childhood environment. It also seems to lead to certain unconscious orientations toward our parental figures, but why this is so, we still do not know. In any case, by the time children are four or five years old, their consciousness has developed sufficiently to have a separate sense of self. Although their identity is still very fluid, at this age children begin to establish themselves and find ways of fitting into the world on their own.
    I cannot buy into the "spirituality" aspect of Enneagram which is sourced from a number of religions. This concept or architecture is reflected in its health levels.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/history.asp

The above is the history of enneagram which includes this Ichazo concept:

But if you read this, it's conflicting:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp

I cannot buy into the "spirituality" aspect of Enneagram which is sourced from a number of religions. This concept or architecture is reflected in its health levels.
    That does seem to be conflicting doesn't it. I tend to think of MBTI type as largely inborn and Enneagram as largely shaped by environment.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    That does seem to be conflicting doesn't it. I tend to think of MBTI type as largely inborn and Enneagram as largely shaped by environment.
    I tend to think of MBTI type as variable and Enneatype as invariable. We can change our MBTI type but not our Enneatype, basically.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

When it comes to the total concept of either, I have issues with both. But at least Jung doesn't try to "shape" anyone back to their "spiritual essence". He just informs from observations, the commonalities between people, creating loose categorisations.

This is why I only look to enneagram for its observations. The rest is moot and to be frank, frou-frou.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I've been learning a little on Enneagram lately and recently read/heard that we are not really our Enneagram type. It is a "learned personality." Our type is just a template that we fit into. It's not the real us. It's a distortion or immature development of our true and basic nature.

By understanding our type and how that manifests itself in our daily lives, we gain greater self awareness and move towards freeing ourselves from the tyranny of how we overcompensate. We gain an appreciation for our default way of responding and are able to observe how we react from an outside perspective, considering things in a broader context. We learn to have more compassion for ourselves, begin to acknowledge our gifts more fully and better appreciate our own inner wisdom.

I wonder how some of this might relate to MBTI or functions.

Any reactions on this?
    My immediate response is to think that it's total mumbo-jumbo, and to want to go off and fulfill my type stereotype by quitting typology altogether and playing some football!! :workout:

... Mostly because anything about "you" not being the "real" you tends to strike me as pretentious. I am who I am, and it's that simple.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Also, any time I see anything about nature vs. nature that tries to make the answer one extreme or another, I want to shout to the rafters: "It's a little bit of both, and if you don't believe me, ask science!!!!"
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i tend to think that neither defines us, but neither is likely to change, either.

sort of like not liking a certain flavor of ice cream, or tending to sleep on the right side of the bed. doesn't really matter in terms of your identity, but it's probably not gonna change overnight.

i see enneatype changing more easily than MBTI, though, if only because i have a hard time relating to any enneatype.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I don't think you have to buy into the "spirituality" angle to find value in the enneagram. The enneagram types represent patterns of deeply ingrained, habitual defense mechanisms. Like all defense mechanisms, they have utility and serve (or served) a valuable purpose. However, they become problematic when they are engaged unconsciously and reactively. Those defenses, when too often engaged, stand in the way of intimacy and become self-defeating.

The goal is to become aware of those defense mechanisms and to be able to choose when and how to engage your defenses, rather than merely reacting. Meditation is often mentioned with the enneagram, because meditation trains one to be more aware of one's reactions without being swept away by them, thereby expanding the possibility of choice.

I agree, though, there's plenty of woo-woo around the enneagram, which can be a turn-off for some of us.