User Tag List

12 Last

brainheart

Default Importance of Parental Orientation in Typing

I'm beginning to think it's pretty key, perception of parents when it comes to enneagram typing. It really seems central to the foundation of what will become your motivation, which is what enneagram is all about. (Or 'what is your motivation' may be more precise.)

It seems typing people on their personality characteristics always leads to doubt and controversy- just look at any of the typing threads- everyone's got a different idea as to what someone is. So I'm curious: does it just boil down to the question of, "How do you feel about your parents?" or "What's your relationship like with your parents?"

Maybe if you're confused as to what your type is you should ask yourself that question. When you have a clear answer- you might want to write it down- read the parental orientation in these descriptions. (Again, I'd recommend waiting to read them until after you've thought hard about it.):

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeOneOverview.asp

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypetwoOverview.asp

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeTHreeOverview.asp

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeFourOverview.asp

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeFiveOverview.asp

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeSixOverview.asp

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeSevenOverview.asp

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeEightOverview.asp

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeNineOverview.asp

Of course, you can't ask celebrities that question. Fortunately, that's a question interviewers love to ask. There is, however, the possibility the celebrity will lie in their response, muddying things. But still. I'm just throwing this out there as a potentially helpful tool.

Glycerine

Thank you so much! I relate so much to e 5 parental orientation description and part of 6. Is there anything you want me to elaborate on?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    what will become your motivation, which is what enneagram is all about.
    No.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    No.
    I love your detailed explanations of your opinions. They are rather insightful.

From
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html#intro:

"The Enneagram is one of the newest personality systems in use, and emphasizes psychological motivations."

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Thank you so much! I relate so much to e 5 parental orientation description and part of 6. Is there anything you want me to elaborate on?
    Glad you found it helpful. Elaboration is up to you.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I love your detailed explanations of your opinions. They are rather insightful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D86IVsoiqTE

Enneatypes are structures wich through you solve information, not basics motivations. Motivations are more related with the instincts, eventually.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I'm beginning to think it's pretty key, perception of parents when it comes to enneagram typing. It really seems central to the foundation of what will become your motivation, which is what enneagram is all about. (Or 'what is your motivation' may be more precise.)
    I agree with this.

I strongly, strongly disagree with this. I don't even remotely relate to it. Actually, its assumption that every family has to have a masculine protective figure for the sake of a child's well-being really, really irritates me, speaking as a feminist. I mean, I suppose I know what they mean, but the way they phrase it rubs me the wrong way. But then again, that website in general likes to make all type Ones seem like conservative Christians who force their moral codes on everyone, so... not surprising.

I relate much more to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by pstypes.blogspot.com
    Responsive child vs. Active parent
    This scenario is thought to produce Enneagram type 1

This interaction is generally centered around the parent's agenda, to which the child will subscribe in order to receive the desired approval. The Active parent will be demanding, dominating and will criticize any perceived "bad" behavior. The Responsive child, on the other hand, is unusually sensitive to criticism so he will try to adjust and adhere to the parent's values and perspectives, by being obedient, well-behaved and an altogether "good kid". This attitude will help him build the desired rapport with the fastidious main caretaker.

With time, the child will learn to put aside his real needs and wishes in order to do the right thing, to be correct and morally ethical. These types will prefer to have a clear set of standards and rules to adhere to and will only feel worthy and lovable when they live a righteous life, in accordance with their upstanding principles. Their parents taught them that acceptance comes only through obedience and discipline.
    Note that this talks about the presence of a strong parental authority, and not the lack of one. It is the polar opposite of the description in the OP.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I agree with this.

I strongly, strongly disagree with this. I don't even remotely relate to it. Actually, its assumption that every family has to have a masculine protective figure for the sake of a child's well-being really, really irritates me, speaking as a feminist. I mean, I suppose I know what they mean, but the way they phrase it rubs me the wrong way. But then again, that website in general likes to make all type Ones seem like conservative Christians who force their moral codes on everyone, so... not surprising.

I relate much more to this:

Note that this talks about the presence of a strong parental authority, and not the lack of one. It is the polar opposite of the description in the OP.
    Your response is interesting to me. First off, I relate very much to the descriptions of four and five orientation- I mean, I really could have written that. So this makes me curious, which of the parental orientations I posted do you relate to the most?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Your response is interesting to me. First off, I relate very much to the descriptions of four and five orientation- I mean, I really could have written that. So this makes me curious, which of the parental orientations I posted do you relate to the most?
    I honestly don't relate to any of them. It's probably that I don't relate even REMOTELY with the hyper-traditional language they use in these descriptions - "nurturing figure", "patriarchy" - and the assumption that you need everyone in your family to fulfill a particular "role" in order to be well-adjusted. I felt no need to make a niche for myself; why wouldn't I fit in to my family?

But then again, I grew up in a happy and loving household, and if you related a lot to the descriptions of fours and fives, you may not have felt as accepted as I did. So, I get the feeling that these descriptions do a great job of describing dysfunctional childhoods, but not happy ones - which is why I don't relate to any of them. Not only did I connect a lot with both of my parents (be they "nurturing" or "protective" - and god do I hate those terms. Both of my parents are both nurturing and protective) - but they were my friends. I related to the one on the other site because, even though my parents weren't demanding or dominating (as the description states), I would take every request they had of me as an order, because I cared about pleasing them and doing right by them. In that way, I guess I might relate most to the descriptions you posted of twos, sixes, and nines, because those were the only ones who connected with their parents naturally without having to force a connection - but not because I relate to the effects of that parenting on the twos/sixes/nines.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I read the type 1 parental orientation, didn't quite hit home that well. Type 4 parental orientation, not 100%, there are traits where I identify with my parents, other traits which I do not. Didn't feel a separation from parents, but felt more of a separation from the social unit at school. Type 5 parental orientation, it's quite close, but still, not 100%.

The rest of them don't really ring a bell.

What does this mean? lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche