• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me with my enneatype...

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't decide, I really can't. I am a lot more confused over this than I ever have been over my INFJ-ness.

So, if you have an impression of me from this forum in terms of enneatype, please tell me. ;) And please ask questions if you want to get a better idea. And I'm interested in instinctual stackings/tritype as well, of course.

For what it's worth: I've thought for some time that I'm probably 6, and probably 6w5. However, I also identify quite a lot with 9. And oddly, I've tested as 2 quite a few times - I say "oddly" because I just don't identify with the type descriptions. I think this could be due to having strong Fe and having community demands and beliefs which make me reach out to and try to help people. But I can't see myself as a 2.

I identify with a few aspects of some other types (notably 1, 4 and 5), but I think it highly unlikely that I'm anything other than 6 or 9. But I am open to any comments or suggestions!!

Thanks!

KDude

Pardon me if this sounds rude, but I think you're more anxious than 9 would be. You know yourself best though. And I don't say it because I subconsciously registered your self-typing of 6. It's just something I've noticed from our discussions from time to time. You're very romantic about your connections, and worry about the precise or ideals ways to express yourself interpersonally. If an INFJ is anxious, I don't know whether it's because they're 6, or simply have a very active Ti.. Like they're more proactive in searching for that pinnacle expression to set things right. If you're 9, I'd make a guess that it's more of a Pi style.. relaxed and letting insight come to them more.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ not rude at all...the "anxious" thing is exactly what I think about myself and pretty accurate! It's probably the biggest thing which has tended to make me think I'm most likely to be a 6 rather than a 9.

And what you say about worrying about the precise/ideal way to express myself interpersonally is very interesting because it had never occurred to me in quite that way before. But it totally makes sense.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
can't say your type for certain (6 sounds likely), but you come across more sx/sp than sp/sx to me.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
can't say your type for certain (6 sounds likely), but you come across more sx/sp than sp/sx to me.

Any particular reason why you would point to sx/sp?

I've actually had so/sp or sp/so in tests as well, but the descriptions of sp/sx seemed to suit me better. Really not sure about that either though.

I know it's difficult to do these "what type am I" threads because I do think people come across quite differently IRL than they do online, a lot of the time. However, I think my online persona is a lot like my IRL persona, except I go into more detail about my mental and emotional state online than I usually do IRL. ;)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any particular reason why you would point to sx/sp?

I've actually had so/sp or sp/so in tests as well, but the descriptions of sp/sx seemed to suit me better. Really not sure about that either though.

I know it's difficult to do these "what type am I" threads because I do think people come across quite differently IRL than they do online, a lot of the time. However, I think my online persona is a lot like my IRL persona, except I go into more detail about my mental and emotional state online than I usually do IRL. ;)

I dunno, on a surface level at least, you strike me as very romantic and the type of person that desires depth and intimacy.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
6s are misgiving and seek protection from people.
9s are confident and merge with people.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno, on a surface level at least, you strike me as very romantic and the type of person that desires depth and intimacy.

True...

6s are misgiving and seek protection from people.
9s are confident and merge with people.

Basically, what I've found with 6 vs 9 for me:

I do tend to be anxious and worry, and I search for stability with people and circumstances. However, I don't really identify with the whole questioning or mistrusting authority thing, and I wouldn't say I'm hypervigilant. And while I tell myself that people are untrustworthy and unpredictable and I shouldn't let my guard down...when it comes down to it, I often do let my guard down...I'm very aware of how unpredictable and selfish and untrustworthy people can be, though.

On the other hand, I often find that descriptions of 9 seem to suit me better as a whole, ie. those tests where you read paragraphs and pick which one suits you best. I'm often told I come across as kind, easygoing, calm, etc. But I don't get the "merging" thing. I think I would only feel that with someone I am EXTREMELY in sync with, which doesn't happen often - not quite sure if it has ever happened, actually. And I'm really not that confident with people - I probably act more confident than I am, more outgoing, which I think is the Fe at work. When I do the "going toward" people thing, I feel as though I'm putting people at ease, and protecting myself - almost like a pre-emptive strike! - both of which are important to me.

I read somewhere that phobic 6s and 9s can really resemble each other and are easily confused - and if I'm a 6, I'm definitely phobic.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Phobic 6s don't question autorithy that much. So, it is coherent with what you say.

Have you watched the videos I gave to you?

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Phobic 6s don't question autorithy that much. So, it is coherent with what you say.

Have you watched the videos I gave to you?

Aw man, I only looked at these now. SOrry.

There were like a million of them. ;) But I watched a few. I was just excited about the fact that Joe Strummer and the Edge are apparently both 6w5 sp/sx. Now I REALLY want to be that type. ;) But seriously, I think the 6 types seemed a bit more familiar. I may watch a few more though. I have a bit of a hard time getting a sense from video clips...

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This sounds a lot like me. More so than the other 6 subtypes, and certainly more so than any of the 9 subtypes. It's from this website, though it seems familiar and I think I've read it elsewhere: http://www.thechangeworks.com/ennprimer/fineenn9styls2.html#anchor2023337

Self-Preservation
Self-preservation Sixes often display a personal warmth that is meant to defang the potential hostility of others. If they sense aggression or disapproval in the environment, they may counterphobically zero in on it. Use humor, charm, self-depreciation to make friends out of possible enemies. Can flatter like Twos, play themselves down, work to maintain other people's affection. Act vulnerable, invite rescue. Ingratiating, but more nervously dependent than other Six subtypes. Also less in touch with their own hostility.

Their home environment is sometimes important. May feel like their house is a fortress against the outside world's dangers. Worry about their ability to survive; have scary "worst-that-can-happen" fantasies. A good movie example is Bill Murray in What about Bob?. Also Teri Garr in Tootsie and The Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, you are a Self-pres 6. 6w5 Sp/Sx probably.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, you are a Self-pres 6. 6w5 Sp/Sx probably.

Yup, I agree now. ;) I'm about as sure as I've been. I still relate to 9 in some ways, but the types are connected, after all - and apparently phobic 6s can really resemble 9s.

What really makes sense to me is about sp-6s defusing the potential threat from others by showing interpersonal warmth. I came across that in a number of sp- descriptions and it is totally me. I don't relate to some aspects of being sp-first, but that aspect really really makes sense. For me it's a combination of the sp-6 and the Fe. When I go towards people and am friendly and warm, I'm aware that it's because I actually do like people (as much as I sometimes hate to admit it, haha) and want to learn more about them and maybe find a kindred spirit - but it's also sort of a pre-emptive strike, to defuse any potential hostility or unfriendliness.

I'm not 100% sure about whether I'm sp/sx or sp/so but I think it has to be one or another. In some online Enneagram tests I've scored higher on so than sx. However, I think the sp/sx descriptions sound more like me than sp/so. I am concerned about safety and security but am also concerned with close and intimate relationships, my attractiveness to the opposite sex, etc. I figure that I sometimes score high on so because of my strong Fe.

Also, I think 6w5 makes more sense to me but I relate to aspects of 6w7 too. I think I am basically phobic but can be counterphobic sometimes in some ways and certainly fun-loving. I would figure I have fairly balanced wings.

Thanks all!

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
6's are either relieved to the point of being smug, or terrified, not anxious... When you mistrust the target of your daydreams your haunted, not angst-y. 5's can be anxious, the a-typical 5, the one that combines greed with fortitude, because these two counterparts are at cross purposes, the one trying to horde while the other trying to bolster, such mismatching makes one anxious in one's footing, because both are difficult to accommodate. This I would think should make this type very rare; Oakysage is the only person I know with this setup. If I could hear you on vent I would be able to give you my opinion as to what you are...

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
6's are either relieved to the point of being smug, or terrified, not anxious... When you mistrust the target of your daydreams your haunted, not angst-y.

Can't say I agree... This sounds like the argument that "6" is merely an unhealthy version of other types. I've not seen any descriptions of 6 which call it "relieved to the point of being smug, or terrified." What are you basing this conclusion on?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The sixes I know aren't calm. My impression has been that they constantly need reassurance of anything unknown, and if you tell them that it will be alright, they suddenly feel relieved. They constantly worry about things that they have prepared for, like for example, a test. They might study more than anyone else, but still be worried about it, and it shows. They also seem to be easily frustrated too, and when things go wrong, it's the end of the world. I hope I've typed them accurately, I've barely read the 6 description lol, I don't want to mislead anyone here, some of them might be 1s or something.

I know it's kind of gloomy, but for some people I suspect the best way to work out enneagram types is to look at your faults. As a nine, people have always told me I have my head in the clouds, I used to loose jumpers, rackets, wallets and all sorts of crap because my head just isn't focused on reality. I don't express anger, even when other people clearly see it to be justifiable. I tend to find something I like and stick with it, whereas other people might get bored quickly and want to do something else, this can lead to obsession. I make decisions based on what other people want, rather than what I want, "I don't know, so I'll get what you're having". I know people say nines are the ultimate peacekeepers and that they are kind etc. I might have those qualities, but I find myself presuming my own qualities are nothing special, as much as I try to tell myself otherwise.

Hope that helps you somehow :)

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
k, I had a quick search for misidentifications, and found I was quite right about 6s :D :D :D

Type Nine-Type Six

These types are actually frequent mistyped. Sixes and Nines are both concerned with security and with maintaining some kind of status quo situation. They are both family-oriented, and both tend to take modest views of themselves. Their affect, however, is the easiest way to distinguish them.
In short, Nines like to remain easy-going and unflappable. Nines work steadily at their tasks, but show little sign of being upset by the day's ups and downs. Sixes, on the other hand, cannot easily disguise their feelings. They get more easily worked-up and rattled by mishaps. While Nines can remain silent within their own inner peace, Sixes need to vent with others periodically to discharge their fears and doubts. Sixes are more obviously nervous and defensive when they believe there are problems. Nines remain strangely bland in the face of problems, although beneath the pleasant surface of average Nines, there is stubborn resistance and an unwillingness to be upset or troubled by conflicts or problems. Sixes tend to be suspicious of unknown people and situations–they need to test people before they let them get close. Nines may be protected by the disengagement of their attention, but they tend to be trusting of others–almost to a fault.
Of course, under stress, when moving in their Direction of Disintegration, Nines will begin to act out some of the behaviors of average Sixes, and for this reason, some Nines will mistype themselves as Sixes. But such periods of overt anxiety generally do not last long. As soon as possible, Nines revert to their more easy going approach to things. Compare Sixes George Bush and Dustin Hoffman with Nines Gerald Ford and Jimmy Stewart.

link: http://www.personality-piazza.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=537

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type Nine-Type Six

These types are actually frequent mistyped. Sixes and Nines are both concerned with security and with maintaining some kind of status quo situation. They are both family-oriented, and both tend to take modest views of themselves. Their affect, however, is the easiest way to distinguish them.
In short, Nines like to remain easy-going and unflappable. Nines work steadily at their tasks, but show little sign of being upset by the day's ups and downs. Sixes, on the other hand, cannot easily disguise their feelings. They get more easily worked-up and rattled by mishaps. While Nines can remain silent within their own inner peace, Sixes need to vent with others periodically to discharge their fears and doubts. Sixes are more obviously nervous and defensive when they believe there are problems. Nines remain strangely bland in the face of problems, although beneath the pleasant surface of average Nines, there is stubborn resistance and an unwillingness to be upset or troubled by conflicts or problems. Sixes tend to be suspicious of unknown people and situations–they need to test people before they let them get close. Nines may be protected by the disengagement of their attention, but they tend to be trusting of others–almost to a fault.
Of course, under stress, when moving in their Direction of Disintegration, Nines will begin to act out some of the behaviors of average Sixes, and for this reason, some Nines will mistype themselves as Sixes. But such periods of overt anxiety generally do not last long. As soon as possible, Nines revert to their more easy going approach to things. Compare Sixes George Bush and Dustin Hoffman with Nines Gerald Ford and Jimmy Stewart.

...By this assessment I am more of a 6, which is what I've concluded. Although, people tend to think I look very calm. So that's where some of the uncertainty comes in. I need to vent and I can get defensive. I think I remain calm almost as a pre-emptive strike - much like the moving toward people/being friendly thing. I fear the degree to which I am capable of getting stressed out and even angry, so I try to avoid unnecessary stress.

I assume that I relate to quite a lot of 9 descriptions because they are related types. One of the clinchers for me was in an enneagram book I have - I forget which one - but it said that phobic 6s and 9s can really resemble each other due to the friendliness etc. I am definitely wary of new situations and people, though, but it's not obvious. I tend to just look open, though slightly formal, and fairly relaxed.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm, what I saw in the anger thread make me think you're a 9 for sure, but maybe it's like you say, and the two types are similar in that respect? I can see it being that way.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm, what I saw in the anger thread make me think you're a 9 for sure, but maybe it's like you say, and the two types are similar in that respect? I can see it being that way.

;) It's hard to figure out. I looked at that thread again in the light of 9 descriptions, and I see what you mean. I'd think that in my life generally I have more trouble with anxiety than with anger, but it seems to vary!

Sometimes I wonder about the usefulness of the enneagram. I find that there are at least these two types that I find so much to identify with that I have trouble deciding which I am.

Whereas I am about as sure as I can be that I'm INFJ. Then again - I've met people where their enneagram type seems to shout out at me, but I can't really decide which MBTI type they are.