Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default What are counterphobic types?

I've seen the term counterphobic used in relation to the enneagram and was wondering, what excatly does it mean? Thanks

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Phobic sixes are more fearful and anxious and compliant to the rules. Counterphobic sixes are more challenging, rebellious, and prone to putting themselves in dangerous situations. Alot of people who engage in potentially dangerous activities like fighter pilots or race car drivers are actually counterphobic sixes. A way of coping with the underlying fear is to push yourself towards the situations that cause fear.

Many sixes will swing back and forth between the two extremes but tend to lean more towards one side or another. SX subtype seems more likely to be counterphobic than the SP or SO 6.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Cool, thanks for the answer SuchIrony.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm a counterphobic 6 (or at least have 6w7 as my head fix in my tritype) and I'm sx like suchirony mentioned.

I am mostly counterphobic, but have gone through phobic phases (to the point of having panic attacks and agoraphobia...which is kind of funny considering the reckless behavior I engaged in for years prior to that time...it's like all the fear from years of taking crazy risks and driving way too fast and other things caught up with me at one time).

I am counterphobic usually in my relationship to authority, but interestingly enough at one point I was much more phobic and dependent on the idea of organized big government, and even wanted to be a government worker.

Sixes usually have a strong (and sometimes strange) relationship to authority. Counterphobics are just more likely to rebel against it.

I think that's why a lot of conservative political figures are 6w5...and they're more likely to be phobic.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

An sp/so like myself could still be counterphobic, right? I mean I loath social norms, rules, government, and just about every form of authority because I easily see the apparent dangers and stupidity behind them. But I don't think I have the intensity of an sx, or do I?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    An sp/so like myself could still be counterphobic, right? I mean I loath social norms, rules, government, and just about every form of authority because I easily see the apparent dangers and stupidity behind them. But I don't think I have the intensity of an sx, or do I?
    I think your relationship to authority would be *quite focused* if you were a 6 (do you really think you're a 6, or that it's just part of your tritype?) My relationship to authority has almost always been a preoccupation of mine, and it generally is for 6s because of a relationship(s) to authority figure(s) in childhood.

I think you might be interested in politics to some extent, even if you loathe big gov't (like, for example, you might be an extremist far right libertarian...wait, are you that?). I have been interested in politics since before I could even vote.

I'm not saying 6 is all about politics, but 6 is not just anxious, it is highly concerned with groups, systems of people, authority figures, and sometimes political structures.

A vegan who protests constantly at marches and things could just as easily be 6 as the buttoned-down Republican president. They are two sides of the same coin.

I don't think you have to be sx to be counterphobic, though.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Marmie Dearest
    I think your relationship to authority would be *quite focused* if you were a 6 (do you really think you're a 6, or that it's just part of your tritype?) My relationship to authority has almost always been a preoccupation of mine, and it generally is for 6s because of a relationship(s) to authority figure(s) in childhood.
    Well, I think 6 is just part of my tritype, which is also why it's the last type used.

I think you might be interested in politics to some extent, even if you loathe big gov't (like, for example, you might be an extremist far right libertarian...wait, are you that?). I have been interested in politics since before I could even vote.
    I've got some interest in politics, although I'm skeptical of politics in general beacuse politicians and paties tend to care more about thier stupif life philosophies thean the people. And I'm a extrimist left libertarian

I'm not saying 6 is all about politics, but 6 is not just anxious, it is highly concerned with groups, systems of people, authority figures, and sometimes political structures.

A vegan who protests constantly at marches and things could just as easily be 6 as the buttoned-down Republican president. They are two sides of the same coin.

I don't think you have to be sx to be counterphobic, though.
    Actually, maybe I'm not that much of a six at all, it is possible that my head section of the triade is really 5, hmmm... need to mull and introspect on this matter

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, supposedly in the tritype your default way dealing with the world is the first, and the last in your tritype is something you only resort to in certain situations...which is why 8 is last in my tritype, because I hardly ever act 8-ish ( I really do not want to be in charge, I would much rather not, thanks) but I have this state of mind I will go to in situations among groups of people if I feel extreme annoyance or fear where I will suddenly TAKE CHARGE. It's like some latent gift I have that would exhaust me and make me very unhappy if I used it regularly. 8 is not the way I want to live my life, but I'll be the boss under certain conditions if no one else will...or if I feel that the person in charge is immoral or incompetent (which could actually relate more to my 6...).

I've had very difficult time choosing between 6w7 and 4w3, I can score both on enneagram tests, and then Petra threw this thing out there like "hey maybe you're a 3!" but I doubt it because I *never* score as three, in fact on one test with percentages 3 was my *lowest* score, and it just doesn't feel right to me.

It also makes sense that 6s stress point is 3 (manic over-doing) and integration point is 9 (more accepting and trusting the flow) ...and that 6 sx/sp can look like a 3 in some regards, like in terms of gender roles, etc.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Marmie Dearest
    Well, supposedly in the tritype your default way dealing with the world is the first, and the last in your tritype is something you only resort to in certain situations...which is why 8 is last in my tritype, because I hardly ever act 8-ish ( I really do not want to be in charge, I would much rather not, thanks) but I have this state of mind I will go to in situations among groups of people if I feel extreme annoyance or fear where I will suddenly TAKE CHARGE. It's like some latent gift I have that would exhaust me and make me very unhappy if I used it regularly. 8 is not the way I want to live my life, but I'll be the boss under certain conditions if no one else will...or if I feel that the person in charge is immoral or incompetent (which could actually relate more to my 6...).
    Well in that context, I suppose 6 could work as my last part of my triade, as I do care, at least to a certain extent, betterment of a secure world.

I've had very difficult time choosing between 6w7 and 4w3, I can score both on enneagram tests, and then Petra threw this thing out there like "hey maybe you're a 3!" but I doubt it because I *never* score as three, in fact on one test with percentages 3 was my *lowest* score, and it just doesn't feel right to me.
    Yeah I'm sort in the same boat; first I thought Iwas 4w5/5w4, then 9w1, then Aleksei told me I was 4w3 > cp6w5 > 1w2, but I think my 4w3 should bw 4w5, and I have some in there 9 I think.

It also makes sense that 6s stress point is 3 (manic over-doing) and integration point is 9 (more accepting and trusting the flow) ...and that 6 sx/sp can look like a 3 in some regards, like in terms of gender roles, etc.
    Right, maybe I should look into the intergration and stress of the other types . . .

MBTI
    IsFJ

A tip: the Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz is a very good movie example of Sixish phobic and counterphobic strategies. While the Lion wants the Wizard to give him the gift of courage (Sixes can be insecure and overly dependent on authority figures), it soon becomes clear that he can act counterphobic when detecting danger - Sixes can resemble Eights in their protectiveness.

The phobic strategy runs the risk of thinking too much and being paralyzed into inaction and paranoia; the counterphobic one runs the risk of "charging ahead" without thinking due to fear of being subjugated or oppressed by an external threat before vanquishing it.

I kinda hope I was somewhat helpful here... I'm still in the process of figuring out my tritype.