MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    5s oftentimes seem too jerky to me.
    4s oft seem too dramatic and melancholic.
    9s too indecisive and placid.

What do I strike people as? Hmmm.
    The tone of your response to me doesn't seem very 9 (undiplomatic) but your childhood behavior was "go with the flow" (more 9).
    It's more independent (which is 5) but not detached like 5.
    And passionate in its intensity (which is 4) but doesn't seem melancholic/weak like 4 can be. Sharp instinctive unapologetic edge.

All of which means I still can't tell what it is.
    I wonder what 9w8 looks like.

I don't think 9's are wimpy, but kind of play down and simplify issues. More optimistic like 7s.
    I agree with that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Melancholy.. yes.. but I didn't know 4's were weak. I don't want to be one now. X)

Honestly, I am in some ways (weak). Aren't we all? There's a disconnect and sensitivity (and some lack of productivity) associated with 4, and it could be weak for dwelling on the negative and not fixing it, I guess. I don't think they lose an unapologetic edge though. That's kind of the problem actually. I think the "individualist" label probably sums it better than "romantic" or "artist".

I think the two sx 4's, the most typical ones apparently, sound kind of "in your face" (although I doubt brainheart is one.. just saying).

Sexual/Self-pres

This is a very volatile type. They are driven to form connections but have very high demands of their partners. When their powerful fantasies don’t match reality, they become very restless. They take the fire and passion of the sexual instinct and turn it inward. This can cause both brooding and fiery outbursts. Dramatic mood swings are very likely with this type. This subtype of Four could be considered the most classic Four, because of the way they seem to embody the archetype of the tortured artist, although not all Fours of this subtype are artists. Stereotype aside, this subtype does tend to bring their emotions into focus more readily then the other subtypes of Four. What is under the surface with the self-pres/sexual is now bubbling to the surface. This subtype can resemble type Seven because of their drama, passion for experience and tendency to suffer from frustration when life seems dull. Like type Seven, they can seem to throw themselves into experience.

When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets.

Sexual/Social

This subtype is able to connect with others and with life itself, but always with an undertone of volatility and a tendency to dramatize. They are the most involved and connected of the subtypes of Four. They can go from relationship to relationship, seemingly tortured by each one. They are the most driven of the subtypes of Four to express themselves publicly and type Four celebrities are commonly found with this stacking. This subtype has a real difficulty remaining grounded, partly due to the undeveloped self-pres instinct. Although they can appear almost Eight-like at times with their lust for life and desire for passionate experience, they lack the focus of the Eight and the instinctual energy that would keep them grounded. Sometimes alcohol or substance abuse can be a problem. These Fours become more healthy when they learn to control their impulsivenss and focus their energies.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sharp instinctive unapologetic edge.
    ooh, I like...

In bold is what I particularly relate to (some of it unfortunately):

9w8

Awakened Nines with an 8 wing have a modest, steady, receptive core. They are charged by the dynamism of 8 - when focused on goals they often have great force of will. Get things done, make good leaders. May have an animal magnetism of which they are only partly aware. Can seem highly centered, take what they do seriously but remain unimpressed with themselves. 8 wing can bring a strong internal sense of direction. Relatively fearless and highly intuitive. Generally not intellectual unless they have it in their background. When more entranced, they manifest the contradictions of the two styles expressing them in sequence. Could be passively amiable like a Nine and then turn horribly blunt like an 8. One moment they are opinionated or nasty, next moment kindly and supportive. Often don't hear their voices when angry. Can have a sharp, grating edge. May be slow to anger and then explode. Or angry but don't know it; may confuse being assertive with being rude. Placidly callous - both styles support numbness. Tactless and indiscriminate and indiscreet. May be unwittingly disloyal, spilling everyone's secrets. Sexual confusion, sometimes they are driven by lust.

brainheart

This test https://wmsas.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_doPACqR3Nr4lmuM gave me this:

Type Four= 67
    Type Nine= 66
    Type Five= 61
    Type Seven= 56
    Type Two= 52
    Type Six= 50
    Type Eight= 45
    Type One= 38
    Type Three= 35

It seemed like one of the better tests I've taken- good questions. But it doesn't clear things up all that well. Although I'd say chances are between 4w5 and 9w8. I feel like I know so little about 9w8...

I have a friend trying to convince me I'm a nine.

Problem is, I don't relate to the nine description. If there is any type in the enneagram that leaves me stumped, it's the nine. But maybe that's because I'm a nine? I've heard people say that if you read a description of a type and it makes you feel a little ill, then that's probably what you are. That's definitely how I feel when I read the nine. It seems so wimpy and complacent and bland and lifeless and blah. (No offense to those who are nines- which is, crap, probably a totally nine thing to say.)
    Was I just called wimpy? -.- I'll bite your tongue when I feel like it and I'll leave you alone when I feel like it

If what makes me ill is actually my type, than both 4w5 and 5w4 would be valid choices.

The way I see it, I consider 4 and 5 to be extremities to the way I act. I can be dramatic at times, and apathetic at other times. However, it might have to deal more with my instinctual stacking (SX/SO) that makes me seem so strange. If you place 4w5 with SX/SO... you get a very dramatic 4... if you pair SX/SO with a 5, you get a very 4-like 5. if you place SX/SO with 9, you get either an 8-like 9 or a 1-like 9

I'm beginning to think that maybe I have this idealized vision of who I am vs the reality. In my fantasy world (9w1, anyone?), I am totally this creative, awesome, witty, emotionally vibrant, bad-ass 4w5/5w4. In my fantasy world, I am my favorite musicians, writers, directors, artists, book characters rolled into one great package. There they all are, in me, just waiting for the right moment to leap out into the world and act, really live their life.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeNine.asp
    Ironically, for a type so oriented to the spiritual world, Nine is the center of the Instinctive Center, and is the type that is potentially most grounded in the physical world and in their own bodies.
    I'll let you interpret that yourself.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    Was I just called wimpy? -.- I'll bite your tongue when I feel like it and I'll leave you alone when I feel like it
    Didn't mean to diss on any of the types, truly. I was poking fun at myself more than anything, my perceptions of things, my fault-finding. Also just pointing out how they don't mesh quite right with my personality.

So I had a revelation/epiphany yesterday. Came about when I was talking to a friend. This particular friend made a comment the other day that, to talk enneagram, made me sound one-ish. It took me by surprise because I don't consider myself to be like that at all- I am completely undisciplined, spontaneous, a total flake. The other thing he said was that I seem to be conserving my energy, holding it in. What are you conserving it for he wanted to know. Well, yesterday, I had to admit to him that I am afraid of myself. I've done some really stupid, impulsive stuff in the past that has hurt myself and others. I don't want it to happen again so I've been hiding out, scared to interact with others, try new things, be me. Because 'me' screws things up. And I don't want to mess up my relationship with my husband, etc. And I don't want to hurt again.

So I hide out in my house and live in my head. This isn't 'me', this tired, reserved person people see these days. I used to be totally fun and crazy and energetic.

Mulling all of this stuff over, I decided to take a look at type 7. Wow, does it hit home. I live for mental stimulation, the new. I am a generalist to the extreme. As my husband says, 'You're problem is you're good at everything. You could do anything. So you do nothing.' It's true, to an extent. More like, I have a mediocre aptitude at everything, but I'm not exemplary at anything. I haven't found the right thing. Once I find the right thing, everything will fall into place. Once I find something that doesn't get old, something that sustains my interest...

I can't tell you how many times people have said to me just pick one thing. Just pick one thing and stick to it. But how on earth do you do that when there are so many interesting, wonderful things?

What's kept me away from seven, from even considering it is that I don't perceive myself as an extrovert. I don't feel the need to be around people so much. But I do love new ideas, new experiences. They definitely give me energy. Sometimes I like being social, sometimes I like being by myself. I just want to be in the thick of whatever I'm passionate about at the moment.

brainheart

I
    I'm beginning to think that maybe I have this idealized vision of who I am vs the reality. In my fantasy world (9w1, anyone?), I am totally this creative, awesome, witty, emotionally vibrant, bad-ass 4w5/5w4. In my fantasy world, I am my favorite musicians, writers, directors, artists, book characters rolled into one great package. There they all are, in me, just waiting for the right moment to leap out into the world and act, really live their life.

Just realized this is about the most four thing anyone could ever say. Ugh, I am so embarrassing...

What 4 variant is considered the most seven like? Because I am very seven-ish, no doubt about that-

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post

I'll let you interpret that yourself.
    Your quote continues...

The contradiction is resolved when we realize that Nines are either in touch with their instinctive qualities and have tremendous elemental power and personal magnetism, or they are cut off from their instinctual strengths and can be disengaged and remote, even lightweight.

To compensate for being out of touch with their instinctual energies, Nines also retreat into their minds and their emotional fantasies. (This is why Nines can sometimes misidentify themselves as Fives and Sevens, "head types" or as Twos and Fours, "feeling types.")