First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Yeah but were you guys ignored? Maybe you would have wanted attention more if you never got any.
    hmm... maybe. it's possible.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I was ignored by the parent who would've "caused" my 4 type (my dad left when I was 2 & I saw him infrequently on visitation), but no, I was still withdrawn & hated attention. Count me in as another 4 wallflower.....
    Maybe I'm just weird. Hey how are you guys defining "attention"? Because attention from a large group of people...I dunno that I would have enjoyed that all that much.
    "To find beauty in loss, hope in darkness."

brainheart

Yeah but were you guys ignored? Maybe you would have wanted attention more if you never got any.
    I wouldn't say necessarily that I was ignored, but probably somewhat overlooked. I was the youngest of six children. My parents were busy dealing with my older siblings' teenage drama. For the most part, though, this didn't really seem to bother me. I was always deep in my own little world, which I really seemed to love. I remember kids coming over to play and I would hide because I didn't want to have to deal with them, play the boring games they wanted to play. This is what I mean by being very five-like. However, yes, I never felt like I got much in the way of affection from my father. He was present, he cared, but he never showed or shared his love. And I'm pretty sure I would have liked a bit more of it, even though I never let on. It seemed to me that a kid shouldn't have to let on about things like that; a parent should just naturally give it.

brainheart

Maybe I'm just weird. Hey how are you guys defining "attention"? Because attention from a large group of people...I dunno that I would have enjoyed that all that much.
    A four... weird?!?

Attention... I've always been really self-conscious. It makes me nervous when someone looks at me. But if no one looked at all, I think that would be worse. But I did like attention from my brothers and sisters as a kid. That's what I have a hard time with when it comes to parental involvement info. In many ways my older siblings were my surrogate parents. They seemed to matter more to me when I was really little.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Oh, gosh. Attention from a large group of people makes me faint. Even in college, having to take public speaking or any assignment that required all eyes on me gave me a panic attack. Most of my teachers, I believe, felt bad for me and I had one teacher offer an extra out of class assignment to make up for my awful presentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    A four... weird?!?

Attention... I've always been really self-conscious. It makes me nervous when someone looks at me. But if no one looked at all, I think that would be worse. But I did like attention from my brothers and sisters as a kid. That's what I have a hard time with when it comes to parental involvement info. In many ways my older siblings were my surrogate parents. They seemed to matter more to me when I was really little.
    In opposition to the above that I stated, however, is (still sticking with classroom behavior), that because I am incredibly quiet and shy, it is hard to get recognition for when I do know the answer to a question being asked aloud in class and I'm afraid to speak up. I can recall one time in a class where no one knew an answer to a question that I knew. I looked all around waiting for someone to answer, and no one did. I finally braved up and raised my hand and answered the question correctly. My teacher, I could tell, was very impressed with both the fact that I knew the answer but finally raised my hand as well. I was both flattered and embarrassed at the same time. I prefer recognition a teacher provides in non-public classroom settings, though. It is strange to both want recognition and not want it at the same time.

Attention from my sibling was never something I worried about. It was just me and her, and she was always my playmate and one of my best friends growing up.

I'm definitely the same as brainheart in response to attention from my parents. I neither acknowledged it, nor cared for more or less. I was too much in my own bubble world to really realize if they noticed me or not. This is one of the reasons I can't decide if my mother was a responsive or neutral parent. Although there have definitely been times where my active parent father was quite scary to me.

Perhaps one of my problems is that I was often not very ignored by my peers... or so it felt. I often felt as though I stuck out a lot, though I desperately desired not to. Over the years, I worked very hard to blend in with the woodwork. I was always embarrassed when some little boy developed a crush on me or some other kid decided to pick on me. Any attention was turned into negative attention. And thinking on this now, I might be able to find how that fits in with how my parents were with me.... like if the only attention I noticed I was receiving was the negative attention. Though, I realize it wasn't necessarily the case, that there was indeed probably a lot of positive attention... I just interprete everything as either negative otherwise attention was just nonexistant, or rather unacknowledged by myself. I definitely relate to the five in that, I had a strong desire to learn things on my own.
    -John Green

What if it's good attention? Would you feel comfortable as a performer? That is how I define attention.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Good or bad, I dislike attention. Not unless I'm comfortable with and know the people who are giving me the attention.

I'm very much a one on one type of person. I can handle talking with two other people. As soon as I'm with a group of three though, it really throws me off for some reason. It suddenly feels like an audience, and I become much more quiet and prefer to not take the center of attention. Unless it's three people I know really, really, really well. In those scenarios, I can be incredibly funny and silly. Also, alcohol helps with those scenarios too. Haha.
    -John Green

Attention is an interesting question. If I am confident in what I am doing and the attention is positive and active then I could never get enough of it. I do tend to be more one on one. But that is more because one on one has a better dynamic. There is more feedback.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Hmm... you seem to exude much more confidence than the average ISFP. Maybe other ISFP 7's are this way, too?
    -John Green

I relate more to 9 or to be more precise 9w8. I sometimes test as 7 though, I don't really relate to the thinking of a 7 in the descriptions though. I don't know about confidence, I think I come across that way. There is a temperamental side that maybe doesn't show much on here. There is this word in Japanese shinkeishitsu ( translated as is it means quality of nerves) which means nervousness, (being) highly strung; sensitiveness, temperamental. Sometimes people use that about me, they are quick to follow up with "in a good way" though.