MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

To a 7:

'You're so predictable/dependable!'
    'You'll fit right in!' (I hate that one...)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    ...'You'll fit right in!' (I hate that one...)
    That one gets on my nerves too! But I don't know why...
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Five Compliments not to Give a Type 4:

1. "You deserve to have 'x'."
    Especially when the type 4 is coveting something that they don't have, and likely won't have. Saying that they deserve it will make them yearn even harder to achieve/obtain 'x'. Best to say that you understand how they feel about 'x' and show you sympathize with them, but don't kill or fuel their dreams. Better to suggest a creative outlet for them to achieve something that is related to 'x' and will be rewarding in the end.

2. "You may be emotional, but I admire your passion."
    Don't ever tell a 4 that they are too emotional. It makes them feel that their emotionality is a defect, and they will get depressed afterwards.

3. "You look just like <insert celebrity name here>."
    If it's a celebrity that they admire, then they will like it initially, but ultimately, it will end up becoming a compare-contrast moment between traits that the celebrity has that the type 4 has, and the traits the celebrity has, that the type 4 doesn't have... and they will end up focusing more on the traits they don't have. Just tell the type 4 they look handsome or beautiful.

4. "This piece of artwork is very good." or "This piece of artwork is not too bad."
    The word "good", or "not too bad", denotes higher than mediocrity, B work, and type 4s will think that B work is commonplace.

5. "You're pleasantly unusual."
    Type 4's don't need to be told they are unusual, they already feel that way. It's like casting them into the Island of Misfit Toys. Just say that you love how unique they are.
    1 & 3 are definite no-gos. The others I might like a lot, if worded as innocently as they seem here. Different wording could be very bad though. The artwork comment would sting with the "not too bad" phrasing, but I'd be quite thrilled with the "very good" comment. I hate the "down to earth" comment in the OP also, but I can't imagine anyone ever calling me that...

I don't know if this is true for 4s, maybe 5s also, but I HATE being called...

"Cute"

Don't ever call me that, unless it's just referring to my physical appearance (even then, it's not a favorite word). It seems like you're patting me on the head as if I am a little bunny that amuses you with my brainless fluff. It's so condescending.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

A window to the soul

Type 9/8:

Is there anything you can't do?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

"Cute".
    OMG, how strange I was just thinking about how my ISFP girlfriend hates being called that and almost addeed it to my post but held off because I didn't think anybody would understand.

How coincidental, how ironic...how oddly cuuuute. ;-)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Don't tap a 4w5 sp/sx's head with a closed fist to make a point, even if (hopefully) just in jest, unless you want tears.

Names, phrases or attitudes that might bug others can spark my interest in a project-oriented fashion, so once the game starts, I've already begun to toy with or ignore the speaker midsentence and/or vacate the premises once red flags shoot up.

thinking of you

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

It pisses me off when someone tries to impress me with random "name dropping" of people I don't know. Especially when I am told an opinion of some person I don't know and no time is taken to establish a foundation on this random names expertise...in other words filibustering with the irrelevant...particularly annoying when this drivel appears to be convincing others in the group of other listeners which I am in during this 'persuasive' argument.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    1 & 3 are definite no-gos. The others I might like a lot, if worded as innocently as they seem here. Different wording could be very bad though. The artwork comment would sting with the "not too bad" phrasing, but I'd be quite thrilled with the "very good" comment. I hate the "down to earth" comment in the OP also, but I can't imagine anyone ever calling me that...

"Cute"

Don't ever call me that, unless it's just referring to my physical appearance (even then, it's not a favorite word). It seems like you're patting me on the head as if I am a little bunny that amuses you with my brainless fluff. It's so condescending.
    I don't mind having my actions being called cute, but if that's all they can come up with, it gets a bit old. I'm not a fan of superficial compliments like "You are awesome." In what ways am I awesome to you? Is the word "awesome" the only descriptor you can give for the quality you admire? Seems kind of thoughtless, unoriginal, and patronizing to me. I prefer it if the person says "I admire ____ about you." and acknowledges the special trait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Stansmith

Haven't decided on a type, but ones that hurt:

"You're really nice/sensitive" - Makes me feel weak

"You're an alright/decent looking guy" - Great, now I can't be smug anymore.

"You really remind me of [insert random guy]" - Makes me feel somewhat, mundane and insignificant

Glycerine

I hate vague or ones meant to flatter you. They might feel good for a sec but the inevitable, "WTF, are you trying to pull?" question comes up.