User Tag List

First 1234 Last

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Thanks for the OP really interesting read. You have a really good way of expressing yourself, I really enjoyed reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I wasn't paying a whole lot attention to numbers except for the types I thought I might be, so there's some guesswork here. There seemed to be fewer 8s, 1s and 3s, but there seemed to be a reasonable number of each type. There were probably more 9s than other types at this particular one workshop, followed by the the 4s, then maybe the 5s... the others fell somewhere in the middle. I might be able to email the workshop organizers and ask for a count (at least for those that knew their type in advance).

I think I heard somewhere that 8 is rarest type in enneagram/typology circles. Though one of the teachers, not sure which one maybe Isacho (however is his name) was 8.

I don't think the one I went to was quite that intense (since it was just two days), but people did talk about some really emotional stuff. Was quite touching at times.

yeah i think this happened in one of those groups that meet weekly during whole year. Youtube videos from enneagram groups are very touching. it seems like best group "therapy" one could get, imo. something like this, very touching

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    Knowing it will get very personal is something that would draw me to come, lol. But yeah, I think it's awkward to ask in writing, before workshops. What kind of questions did they ask?
    I know it gets very personal in most of those workshops, I heard some people recovered memories of sexual abuse while on workshop etc.
    I was ok with the event being personal, I was just uncomfortable with giving so much detailed information straight off the bat before even having met any of the teachers. What if I didn't actually feel they were trustworthy or competent? Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't strictly an Enneagram retreat, it was to do with Almaas's Diamond Approach (spiritual discovery of yourself), which would include Enneagram at some point in the work.

I pulled up the application form out of e-mail. Here are some questions:

6. Please attach a brief (2-3 pages) history of your childhood. Please include your
    relationship with your mother, father, and siblings; and significant events, such as
    deaths, divorce, physical and/or sexual abuse, illnesses, etc.

7. Do you have any history of debilitating mental or emotional instability? Have you been hospitalized or treated with psychotherapy or drugs?

If yes to either of the above, please explain:

8. If you were in emotional difficulty or felt like you were falling apart, where would
    you turn and why?

I understand that they want to have an idea of your history and why you want to do the workshops, I just found it a bit much (for me personally) to give away that kind of information so quickly before building up trust with the teacher. I think you generally have to be careful with people who want to give you "spiritual" teaching. Some people I have seen who like to present themselves as such, to me don't seem that especially spiritual. I would have been ok with a workship like the one in the OP where you share as you wish over the course of the event.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    I was ok with the event being personal, I was just uncomfortable with giving so much detailed information straight off the bat before even having met any of the teachers. What if I didn't actually feel they were trustworthy or competent? Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't strictly an Enneagram retreat, it was to do with Almaas's Diamond Approach (spiritual discovery of yourself), which would include Enneagram at some point in the work.

I pulled up the application form out of e-mail. Here are some questions:

6. Please attach a brief (2-3 pages) history of your childhood. Please include your
    relationship with your mother, father, and siblings; and significant events, such as
    deaths, divorce, physical and/or sexual abuse, illnesses, etc.

7. Do you have any history of debilitating mental or emotional instability? Have you been hospitalized or treated with psychotherapy or drugs?

If yes to either of the above, please explain:

8. If you were in emotional difficulty or felt like you were falling apart, where would
    you turn and why?

I understand that they want to have an idea of your history and why you want to do the workshops, I just found it a bit much (for me personally) to give away that kind of information so quickly before building up trust with the teacher. I think you generally have to be careful with people who want to give you "spiritual" teaching.
    Wow, those questions are way too much!
    question 7., as much as it too personal, i think they "have" to ask it because too mentally unstable people shouldnt go to such workshops. At least that's the policy for Ashrams, meditating, I think.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    Wow, those questions are way too much!
    question 7., as much as it too personal, i think they "have" to ask it because too mentally unstable people shouldnt go to such workshops. At least that's the policy for Ashrams, meditating, I think.
    It's kind of full on isn't it!

Ok, I agree with you about Q. 7. I think I read somewhere once that Diamond Approach is only for people who have a certain degree of stability and personal development already, otherwise it can unleash some dangerous material or tendencies.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    enfj
    Enneagram

[QUOTE=Gerbah;1337705]It's kind of full on isn't it!

It sure is. Those questions don't seem to even begin to consider that not everyone is an open book.

I happen to have taken Enneagram Part 1 Training (Don Riso/Russ Hudson)along with my friend who is ISTJ. I will tell you that she found the process to be a bit overwhelming at the time (for example, there were exercises where we partnered up with other people in the group--who were basically strangers-- and we were instructed to discuss very deep fears/emotions/etc.). However, now in hindsight she is very thankful for the experience and all the self discovery that came along with it.

I personally found the training to be extremely valuable as well. My only regret is that I attended the training only 6 months after first hearing about the Ennagram in the first place. I now realize that if I had known a little more about it, it may have been an even more valuable experience. I went into it thinking I was either a 2, 6, or 9 and came out thinking I was a 6. Now, two years later, I actually think I am 3w2 but because I wasn't "seeing myself" in that type, I was completely blind to it. I'd love to go again someday!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by momof3 View Post
    It sure is. Those questions don't seem to even begin to consider that not everyone is an open book.

I happen to have taken Enneagram Part 1 Training (Don Riso/Russ Hudson)along with my friend who is ISTJ. I will tell you that she found the process to be a bit overwhelming at the time (for example, there were exercises where we partnered up with other people in the group--who were basically strangers-- and we were instructed to discuss very deep fears/emotions/etc.). However, now in hindsight she is very thankful for the experience and all the self discovery that came along with it.
    Like your friend, I think I would feel uncomfortable with that too but I would be prepared to go along with it if I got a good general vibe from the teachers and atmosphere. I just didn't want to provide so many details in writing before even getting a first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by momof3 View Post
    I personally found the training to be extremely valuable as well. My only regret is that I attended the training only 6 months after first hearing about the Ennagram in the first place. I now realize that if I had known a little more about it, it may have been an even more valuable experience. I went into it thinking I was either a 2, 6, or 9 and came out thinking I was a 6. Now, two years later, I actually think I am 3w2 but because I wasn't "seeing myself" in that type, I was completely blind to it. I'd love to go again someday!
    I would love to go to one also!

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Interesting synopsis, I didn't know Palmer still did these. I just finished reading her first book and I found it to be very good. I was a huge fan of the writing style. A lot of times, these typology authors get a tad mystical or are far too positive for my liking. Is it a surprise I'm a 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post

4) I didn't like the general lack of MBTI knowledge and felt it muddied the waters at times. For example, there was a type 5 at the type 5 table who said things like "type 5s are all about the facts" and how he had been, like most 5s, "totally unaware of emotions." Neither one of those fit an iNtuitive 5 or a Feeling 5 very well, respectively. I personally feel like a good understanding of MBTI type can help untangle the defenses from other parts of the self.
    This is interesting. An intriguing part of the two systems is in trying to determine what of the self is functions and what of the self is fixation, as well as seeing how the combinations can amplify or extinguish certain aspects of both. I do think there is a benefit to having knowledge of multiple systems, evidenced by your point here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Interesting synopsis, I didn't know Palmer still did these. I just finished reading her first book and I found it to be very good. I was a huge fan of the writing style. A lot of times, these typology authors get a tad mystical or are far too positive for my liking. Is it a surprise I'm a 5?
    I'm totally there with you in this case. I was expecting to do lots of eye rolling at the more "woo-woo" aspects of the proceedings, but that turned out not to be the case. (In fact, Palmer used to the term "woo-woo" herself to describe something at some point, which made me laugh.) Palmer was very cut and dried in her descriptions of things and, as I said, used a lot of humor. That made a huge difference to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This is interesting. An intriguing part of the two systems is in trying to determine what of the self is functions and what of the self is fixation, as well as seeing how the combinations can amplify or extinguish certain aspects of both. I do think there is a benefit to having knowledge of multiple systems, evidenced by your point here.
    I entirely agree. I like Pat Wyman's take on combining the MBTI and enneagram, even if I don't necessarily buy every detail.

MBTI
    ENFP

WOW ... these wrokshops are really that intense I would have walked into such a situation completely unaware.. and there was me thinking it was all clapping and powerpoints...! *shocked*
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??