• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is the Enneagram set up numberwise as it is?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is bouncing off the questions raised in the recent "I don't buy the Enneagram" thread.

To borrow from the Enneagram Institute site, here is this:

Virtues.gif

The "Holy Virtues" of the types

and

Passions.gif

The "Passions" of the types

But I don't much understand why they are ordered in the way they are, or why, as others have questioned, wings must lie to either side. I see no real logical progression/connection from number to number.

Can anyone explain more?

Chloe

maybe reading in this file will make it more clear to you, here, from Sandra Maitri's "the spiritual dimension of enneagram" book.

you can read from page 10 few pages ..and also first few pages (for 3,6,9 triangle)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
thanks chloe :D

im sure i'll be back with questions once i've finished reading!!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My opinion is that a number of people will give you explanations that might sound like they make sense, but I could probably competely change the order and then give you an explanation that sounds like it makes just as much sense.

The whole the order, the wings, the lines of intergration, etc... It's traditional, it's aesthetic, it's tidy, and it's lacking substance.

Link in my signature has much talk about this.

Chloe

My opinion is that a number of people will give you explanations that might sound like they make sense, but I could probably competely change the order and then give you an explanation that sounds like it makes just as much sense.

Making sense is not the only point. Because enneagram is descrpitive, what people noticed is happening in human psyche, and then they put it together and try to reason it to make sense why human structure is like that.

It's the same like explaining why people have 2 legs, not 3, you CANT really explain it that it makes sense only in that way, there could always be a good reasoning for 3 legs, but we all see we have 2 legs, so we try to figure out how we developed as species to here.

I think psychiatry could benefit a lot from enneagram because in psychiatric cases you see a lot of enneagram disintegrations, it's easiest to see it in 3-6-9 triangle, it looks like layers of onion. So, yeah, completely observational, but the link I posted gave me good enough explanation to accept it.
Also, saw much of myself in 9-6-3 triangle and how one goes to the other...and many people in other types, like 7-1-5

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
I think enneagram numbers almost take on symbolic meaning (not necessarily that a number might mean something, but the number is not being used as a number); which is something I am sure has been a part of tradition from long before. Along with the shape (much like sacred geometry).

Perhaps to illustrate-

YouTube - The Enigma of Numbers (Part 1)

I think it's a very Ni system. It's as if it requires you to suspend the well known perception of the number.