Just thought this was a funny and concise and wonderful illustration worth sharing
Examples of enneagram types in action
Now that you are familiar with the nine possibilities of personality, let’s imagine that a group of all nine types are going on a journey together.
Along the way they encounter a river they must cross. Each of these types is unaware of their true nature and unconsciously confronts the river in their own compulsive way.
Crossing the River in Styles
- ONES approach the river from the one and only perfect place to cross.
- TWOS start to cross the river then double back to help others cross. As they continue to do this, they never get to cross the river themselves.
- THREES wait at the edge until they are the center of attention. Then they wear their best and do attractive strokes.
- FOURS use a variety of fancy styles and even do a water ballet.
- FIVES never get into the river. They hide behind trees and take notes on what everybody else does.
- SIXES stride into the water and do the traditional over-arm stroke.
- SEVENS splash and dive and generally have a party, and it doesn't matter if they never cross the river.
- EIGHTS march into the water and swim upstream - against the current.
- NINES amble into the water and float downstream with the current.
These humorous insights into the Enneagram types captures our nature when we are locked into the "box of personality."