• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type 3, 5, or 6?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've been looking at various type descriptions and quickly decided on 6 because I tend to be a worrywart. I troubleshoot and rely on a lot of "what if" scenarios.

I'm the kind of guy who too often figures out how to have other people like me and I act a certain way to do it.. which is often the "back-slapping" and not-too arrogant 6w7. I can often be comically anxious inside like Woody Allen. I often don't show my anxiety to others but the anxiety is real and is inside me. I think a lot about my future and can vacillate between pessimism and optimism. I easily recognize when something bad is going to happen in the future but I often find solutions to those problems and after thinking things through, I become reasonably confident that my plan will work.

I've been wondering about Type 3 though. I am social but I am not aggressive. But I inadvertently place a strong emphasis on image, I've been in situations before when the majority of people seemed to despise me. I place a strong emphasis on material and personal success. If I'm a 3 I'd likely be a SP type. I am goal-oriented but will often make sacrifices in my goals to gain the approval of others. The only thing is despite the fact I like achievement, I'm not particularly ambitious academically mostly because academics have come easy to me all before college. However, as the work has gotten harder, I've become more studious.

I've also considered 5 because I'm naturally intellectual and can get absorbed into a hobby/video game/book for hours without paying attention to anything surrounding me. It makes me an effective studier whenever I actually stop being lazy and do it.

I tend to see myself as sometimes too sensitive while most of my peers see me as too insensitive. I'm not very good at expressing my emotions and even at my worst, I can be very calm when explaining troubling issues to others.

So what do you guys think?

Chloe

I think you're a 3.
Read inner child of type 3 - type 6, people really figure out what their type is that way.

I noticed ENTPs relate almost always to 5, I guess because of Ti, even when they are lets say 3s.
Like King of Despair, for ex.

there are a lot of prejudices about type 3, how successful they are, i have 3 friend who didnt get into college, which is here very unsuccessful because everybody does, and she was very poor student in HS, she's not stupid, but ENFP and unorganized. It's about tendencies.
Also a lot of 3s, like myself, spend huge amount of time in 9 disintegration, I act nowadays more as 9 than as 3, but my motivations are a lot different than 9s.

you could also be 6 who goes to 3, but i would bet on a 3.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think you're a 3.
Read inner child of type 3 - type 6, people really figure out what their type is that way.

I noticed ENTPs relate almost always to 5, I guess because of Ti, even when they are lets say 3s.
Like King of Despair, for ex.

there are a lot of prejudices about type 3, how successful they are, i have 3 friend who didnt get into college, which is here very unsuccessful because everybody does, and she was very poor student in HS, she's not stupid, but ENFP and unorganized. It's about tendencies.
Also a lot of 3s, like myself, spend huge amount of time in 9 disintegration, I act nowadays more as 9 than as 3, but my motivations are a lot different than 9s.

you could also be 6 who goes to 3, but i would bet on a 3.

Interesting. I found some descriptions of the "inner child" for 3 & 6 online. I can relate to both. 3 was more constant while 6 was based on one or two 'traumatizing' experiences. I can remember a time I got lost in a shopping mall. These are things, I guess, can be said to bring a 6-ish side. However, while I can imagine abandonment being a fear for many children- I don't think it was the driving force of my life.

The 3 one seems to fit. I don't think I was valued for myself at all as a child. I was moreso valued for my accomplishments and I liked the feeling of being successful. When I was very young, I ended up getting a very high score on an IQ test and people expected a lot from me- especially since I have a high-IQ older brother who has also been very successful. (He's, without a doubt, a 5.) Despite having similar potential to my brother, I could never live up to him in an academic sense. I didn't feel valued or loved so often because I was always compared to him. I get along well with him though and he never tries to put me down. I think a big difference between us is that he's completely intellectual while I'm more practical.

Despite all of that, I was encouraged to succeed and do well and that's when people seemed to like me the best. I'd try to do well in everything I put my heart into and still do.

I can often get into a 9-ish state if I don't feel that doing something is worth it. I have an 'all or nothing' streak.

Chloe

Interesting. I found some descriptions of the "inner child" for 3 & 6 online. I can relate to both. 3 was more constant while 6 was based on one or two 'traumatizing' experiences. I can remember a time I got lost in a shopping mall. These are things, I guess, can be said to bring a 6-ish side. However, while I can imagine abandonment being a fear for many children- I don't think it was the driving force of my life.

I also got lost in a mall when i was kid, and was in extreme panic. I was in Italy, so I didnt know the language. I bet I acted as 6 then, it'd be interesting to see how other enneatypes acted in this situations.
Also, you have to have in mind that 9-6-3 are basic types and all other types are developed from them.

The 3 one seems to fit. I don't think I was valued for myself at all as a child. I was moreso valued for my accomplishments and I liked the feeling of being successful. When I was very young, I ended up getting a very high score on an IQ test and people expected a lot from me- especially since I have a high-IQ older brother who has also been very successful. (He's, without a doubt, a 5.) Despite having similar potential to my brother, I could never live up to him in an academic sense. I didn't feel valued or loved so often because I was always compared to him. I get along well with him though and he never tries to put me down. I think a big difference between us is that he's completely intellectual while I'm more practical.
I dont think enneagram has anything to do with IQ, but I guess some types as 5 will draw more of themselves in intellectual sense, but also 3s are often very successful. It has more to do with genetic and luck.

I dont think the part of enneagram inner child descriptions about how somebody developed some type are correct, but they say that somebody developed that type because he/she was more sensitive to that point in enneagram.

so they say, i dont know, people were intrusive towards 5s, but it's more that 5s are naturally more sensitive to having their private space intruded.
in other words; i think enneagram is definately inborn.
Despite all of that, I was encouraged to succeed and do well and that's when people seemed to like me the best. I'd try to do well in everything I put my heart into and still do.

I can often get into a 9-ish state if I don't feel that doing something is worth it. I have an 'all or nothing' streak.

my 9 looks like being very unambitious, passive, crashing. 3 looks like enthusiastic and ambitions and then if/when everything fails, i go to 9, become passive, without wishes, can sleep longer, dont care about most things. if you're sure you go to 9 that's another way to be sure you're 3.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
I think you're a SO Six. SO Sixes tend to place a lot of emphasis on their image just like Threes in order to fit in/feel secure, and not necessarily because of a need for achievement. The fact that you're willing to give up your goals in order to gain the approval of others is very unlike a Three, since Threes tend to look at the bigger picture rather than smaller boosts to their ego.

Chloe

I think you're a SO Six. SO Sixes tend to place a lot of emphasis on their image just like Threes in order to fit in/feel secure, and not necessarily because of a need for achievement.

Or some of those are maybe just mistyped 3s. And I didnt get the impression that Mondo doesnt have a need for achievement for himself. He seems ambitious. Maybe I got wrong impression. And the need for achievement for Threes comes from wanting to be safe, because they think they can rely on only on themselves and what they DO.

The fact that you're willing to give up your goals in order to gain the approval of others is very unlike a Three, since Threes tend to look at the bigger picture rather than smaller boosts to their ego.

Not true. Threes usually dont have (are less aware of ) goals that are not approved by others. They already gave up on some of their goals/needs because they want to be, above everything else, socially acceptable, so if you have a 3 who goes to Ashram she'll try to be there "the most enlightened person", if that includes being not-materialistic or not caring what the world thinks, she could take that as her goal too.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I enjoy the feeling of achieving something more than anything else.
I'll give up security for that.

I think I'm a 3 and not a 6.
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ube-examples-every-type-variant-stacking.html

I thought a 3 had to be uber-aggressive but from looking at these examples, none of the SX last 3's really seemed that aggressive (especially the SP/SO types), they just seemed very ambitious and eager to make their mark on the world- which I'd say I am.