User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

Default Survey thing about Nines and Fours

Hi, here's an attempt to clarify the Four/Nine boundry...Please pick which ones you think are typical in each list and add whatever experiences/comments you like. Cheers.

Can Fours typically:

9.1. Hate unnecessary drama.
    9.2. Seek to be of service to others wherever possible, enjoy looking after those close to them, making them smile.
    9.3. Resort to happy fantasy until problems 'blow over' rather than dwelling.
    9.4. Usually seek to people please, not always jump to defend their thoughts/values/feelings when they feel it might cause friction.
    9.5. Like being 'normal.'
    9.6. Be low maintainance.
    9.7. See the positives in most things/people.
    9.8. Present a cheerful face to the world.
    9.9. Not dwell on their insecurities much.

Can Nines typically:
    4.1. Be openly emotional by nature (albeit to friends and loved ones, this doesn't necessarily refer to sharing problems.)
    4.2. Enjoy a touch of darkness in imagination (literature etc, Burtonesque fantasy etc.)
    4.3. Feel negative about the self.
    4.4. Be inclined to express themselves well through fiction writing/poetry/art/music.
    4.5. Idolize others (particularly lovers) whilst not seeing much good in themselves.
    4.6. Come across as 'intense'
    4.7. Lapse in self-analysis easily.
    4.8. Happily relive/recollect cathartic moments as a means of relieving strong emotions.
    4.9. Become depressive about problems rather than trying to ignore them.

I identify with about half in each (I'm kind of conflicted on whether I'm a 4 or 9 myself, so maybe I'm not the best person to judge).

Of course.

9.2. Seek to be of service to others wherever possible, enjoy looking after those close to them, making them smile.

Nothing extreme.

I find that behavior loathesome and cowardly.

9.4. Usually seek to people please, not always jump to defend their thoughts/values/feelings when they feel it might cause friction.

I don't seek to people please, but I do take a step back to examine the situation a little more..I partly identify.

No.

Sure

Somewhat.

Nope.. not unless I feel it. Which I try.. but that doesn't guarantee it.

I do.

Can Nines typically:
    4.1. Be openly emotional by nature (albeit to friends and loved ones, this doesn't necessarily refer to sharing problems.)

Not always directly.

4.2. Enjoy a touch of darkness in imagination (literature etc, Burtonesque fantasy etc.)

Yes. If by Burton you mean hopeless romantics and misfits. Not sick morbid shit or anything.

In many cases, yes.

4.4. Be inclined to express themselves well through fiction writing/poetry/art.

Fiction? No. I like playing music though.

4.5. Idolize others (particularly lovers) whilst not seeing much good in themselves.

Unfortunately, a little bit.

Somewhat.

Yes.

4.8. Happily relive/recollect cathartic moments as a means of relieving strong emotions.

Rarely.

4.9. Become depressive before disassociation.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the questions means, but I'll just say yes

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

Thanks KDude, I edited the last question, and added music to the arts question

I'm not sure what your intentions are, but personally, it's kind of helped me visualize and think, so thx. I'm kind of feeling more confident of being 9w8.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE

Hrm... I'm super confused.
    You write: 'Can fours typically..' and then go with numbers 9.1, 9.2 etc. And do the opposite for nines. From the type of questions I guess the numbers are right.

I agree with most what KDude have written, but since it's a survey:

Very much.
    Rather to remove discomfort, I'd say.
    Not necessarily
    Just avoid the friction, not necessarily please the people. Ignoring the topic would be typical strategy.
    Interesting.. I guess it's true for nines I know. I haven't thought about it before. Congrats!
    Not necessarily. Depends on what You mean by that.
    I wouldn't say so.
    Hrm... I wouldn't say so. But hide anger, yes.
    Quite the opposite.

Yup! Good point about problems - these just don't leave the head.
    Yes! I have two best friends who are 7s and they just run for cover when I start with my dark humour.
    And my favourite poets are Baudelaire and Rimbaud. So, well..
    Not necessarily. Rather see both the negative and positive side at all times. 'I'm great!' doesn't make sens, cause we see and do not ignore our dark thoughts, feelings and insecurities.
    4.4. Be inclined to express themselves well through fiction writing/poetry/art/music.
    Well... I'm a novel writer and occasional song writer for local bands. So, YES! And... on top of that: in times of personal crisis I just run for a pen.
    To quote a famous four: 'Writing is a vocation of unhappiness'

Temporarily.
    Oh yes...
    Yes+Absolutely. (yesolutely?)
    hrm... rather to feel strong emotions again on some 'not-so-intense' times - the heart must beat, men!
    I used to do that. Now I don't. It's all about self-analysis ad absurdum. We do the same with problems.

PS Trust more my '4s' answers.
    "Act as though it was impossible to fail."
    Dorothea Brande

I started a real blog!

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

Thanks Happyman, sorry about the numbering. Just to clarify for anyone else, the 9.1-9.9 refers to stuff I found on the net about Nines, and from input from my type 9w1 partner. It's under Four to see if they might typically relate the 4.1-4.9 refers to the stuff I found on Fours, and is under Nine for the same reason.

@KDude: Thanks for the feedback, happy it helped. Glad you're more confident in your E-Type, congratulations...The intention of the survey is to try and clear up some of the issues that people have when they're trying to decide between the two types. I hoped that if people could see where the definite Nines and Fours tended to overlap, they might feel better about not totally fitting into one category. If you have anything that made you confused when you were stuck between the two, and it isn't on the list, I'd be more than happy to add it for you

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Can Fours typically:

If things get too chaotic, yeah.

If it's family, yes. I don't get servile, but I don't mind being accommodating.

I dwell too much... so this is definitely off the list.

Depends on the situation. If it's in public, I'll be this way. In private, I let loose.

I'm quirky, so I don't think normal fits, lol.

I'm fussy and picky, but at times I can be easy going.

I try to, although politicians don't give me a positive impression.

Sometimes, if it's a public performance, for instance. Otherwise, I tend to look kind of serious, with flashes of smiles.

I tend to analyze my insecurities and confront them, get to the root of them.

Yeah, especially with close friends and loved ones.

I like a bit of dark Romanticism, or melancholy. Not really Burtonesque per se, although I enjoy Burton's films, more like Phantom of the Opera, Wuthering Heights kind of thing.

My own worst self-critic, I'm afraid.

Oh yeah... very very much so.

Or even idolizing what the person could be too.

Yep.

Check.

Yep.

Ignoring it doesn't make the problem go away. I tend to stew and chew over problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Only answering the e4 part

Can Fours typically:

Definitely

Yup

Sometimes

Most of the time since I've got a small set of "defend to the death" values

No way!

Yup, but this is possibly more because of introversion

Definitely

As much as possible

I'm trying damnit!... but I'm not sure if it's working... *feels insecure*
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FalseHeartDothKnow View Post
    Can Fours typically:

Sometimes, yes, but 9s probably view me as being more dramatic.

Definitely.

yes - but it depends

no, not so much

eh

emotionally I'm fairly high maintenance, but I'm not "high maintenance" in the physical sense

sometimes

often

I wish...

I am 9w8

Can Fours typically:

Yeah

I only do this when I feel like it. It is an on/off thing.

Not really.

No, I usually try to find the best possible way to get my point across. If you cross a value/thought/feeling I will tell you if I need to. I like timing and tact.

I don't care much for the phrase normal.

Very much so for me.

Yes, this is true.

Sure.

No, I don't.

Can Nines typically:

No, I wouldn't say I am open emotionally.

Not strongly.

No.

Yeah. I am no artist but I suppose I have more of this tendency than average.

No.

Mostly no. But sometimes very much so.

I don't know. I don't think so.

No.

Sometimes. I snap out pretty quick.