• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Survey thing about Nines and Fours

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi, here's an attempt to clarify the Four/Nine boundry...Please pick which ones you think are typical in each list and add whatever experiences/comments you like. Cheers.

Can Fours typically:

9.1. Hate unnecessary drama.
9.2. Seek to be of service to others wherever possible, enjoy looking after those close to them, making them smile.
9.3. Resort to happy fantasy until problems 'blow over' rather than dwelling.
9.4. Usually seek to people please, not always jump to defend their thoughts/values/feelings when they feel it might cause friction.
9.5. Like being 'normal.'
9.6. Be low maintainance.
9.7. See the positives in most things/people.
9.8. Present a cheerful face to the world.
9.9. Not dwell on their insecurities much.

Can Nines typically:
4.1. Be openly emotional by nature (albeit to friends and loved ones, this doesn't necessarily refer to sharing problems.)
4.2. Enjoy a touch of darkness in imagination (literature etc, Burtonesque fantasy etc.)
4.3. Feel negative about the self.
4.4. Be inclined to express themselves well through fiction writing/poetry/art/music.
4.5. Idolize others (particularly lovers) whilst not seeing much good in themselves.
4.6. Come across as 'intense'
4.7. Lapse in self-analysis easily.
4.8. Happily relive/recollect cathartic moments as a means of relieving strong emotions.
4.9. Become depressive about problems rather than trying to ignore them.

KDude

I identify with about half in each (I'm kind of conflicted on whether I'm a 4 or 9 myself, so maybe I'm not the best person to judge).

Of course.

9.2. Seek to be of service to others wherever possible, enjoy looking after those close to them, making them smile.

Nothing extreme.

I find that behavior loathesome and cowardly.

9.4. Usually seek to people please, not always jump to defend their thoughts/values/feelings when they feel it might cause friction.

I don't seek to people please, but I do take a step back to examine the situation a little more..I partly identify.

No.

Sure

Somewhat.

Nope.. not unless I feel it. Which I try.. but that doesn't guarantee it.

I do.

Can Nines typically:
4.1. Be openly emotional by nature (albeit to friends and loved ones, this doesn't necessarily refer to sharing problems.)

Not always directly.

4.2. Enjoy a touch of darkness in imagination (literature etc, Burtonesque fantasy etc.)

Yes. If by Burton you mean hopeless romantics and misfits. Not sick morbid shit or anything.

In many cases, yes.

4.4. Be inclined to express themselves well through fiction writing/poetry/art.

Fiction? No. I like playing music though.

4.5. Idolize others (particularly lovers) whilst not seeing much good in themselves.

Unfortunately, a little bit.

Somewhat.

Yes.

4.8. Happily relive/recollect cathartic moments as a means of relieving strong emotions.

Rarely.

4.9. Become depressive before disassociation.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the questions means, but I'll just say yes :laugh:

KDude

I'm not sure what your intentions are, but personally, it's kind of helped me visualize and think, so thx. I'm kind of feeling more confident of being 9w8.

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hrm... I'm super confused.
You write: 'Can fours typically..' and then go with numbers 9.1, 9.2 etc. And do the opposite for nines. From the type of questions I guess the numbers are right. :)

I agree with most what KDude have written, but since it's a survey:

Very much.
Rather to remove discomfort, I'd say.
Not necessarily
Just avoid the friction, not necessarily please the people. Ignoring the topic would be typical strategy.
Interesting.. I guess it's true for nines I know. I haven't thought about it before. Congrats! :)
Not necessarily. Depends on what You mean by that.
I wouldn't say so.
Hrm... I wouldn't say so. But hide anger, yes.
Quite the opposite. ;)

Yup! Good point about problems - these just don't leave the head.
Yes! I have two best friends who are 7s and they just run for cover when I start with my dark humour. ;)
And my favourite poets are Baudelaire and Rimbaud. So, well..
Not necessarily. Rather see both the negative and positive side at all times. 'I'm great!' doesn't make sens, cause we see and do not ignore our dark thoughts, feelings and insecurities.
4.4. Be inclined to express themselves well through fiction writing/poetry/art/music.
Well... I'm a novel writer and occasional song writer for local bands. So, YES! And... on top of that: in times of personal crisis I just run for a pen. :)
To quote a famous four: 'Writing is a vocation of unhappiness'

Temporarily.
Oh yes...
Yes+Absolutely. (yesolutely?)
hrm... rather to feel strong emotions again on some 'not-so-intense' times - the heart must beat, men! ;)
I used to do that. Now I don't. It's all about self-analysis ad absurdum. We do the same with problems.

PS Trust more my '4s' answers. ;)

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks Happyman, sorry about the numbering. Just to clarify for anyone else, the 9.1-9.9 refers to stuff I found on the net about Nines, and from input from my type 9w1 partner. It's under Four to see if they might typically relate the 4.1-4.9 refers to the stuff I found on Fours, and is under Nine for the same reason.

@KDude: Thanks for the feedback, happy it helped. Glad you're more confident in your E-Type, congratulations...The intention of the survey is to try and clear up some of the issues that people have when they're trying to decide between the two types. I hoped that if people could see where the definite Nines and Fours tended to overlap, they might feel better about not totally fitting into one category. If you have anything that made you confused when you were stuck between the two, and it isn't on the list, I'd be more than happy to add it for you :)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can Fours typically:

If things get too chaotic, yeah.

If it's family, yes. I don't get servile, but I don't mind being accommodating.

I dwell too much... so this is definitely off the list.

Depends on the situation. If it's in public, I'll be this way. In private, I let loose.

I'm quirky, so I don't think normal fits, lol.

I'm fussy and picky, but at times I can be easy going.

I try to, although politicians don't give me a positive impression.

Sometimes, if it's a public performance, for instance. Otherwise, I tend to look kind of serious, with flashes of smiles.

I tend to analyze my insecurities and confront them, get to the root of them.

Yeah, especially with close friends and loved ones.

I like a bit of dark Romanticism, or melancholy. Not really Burtonesque per se, although I enjoy Burton's films, more like Phantom of the Opera, Wuthering Heights kind of thing.

My own worst self-critic, I'm afraid.

Oh yeah... very very much so.

Or even idolizing what the person could be too.

Yep.

Check.

Yep.

Ignoring it doesn't make the problem go away. I tend to stew and chew over problems.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Only answering the e4 part

Can Fours typically:

Definitely

Yup

Sometimes

Most of the time since I've got a small set of "defend to the death" values

No way!

Yup, but this is possibly more because of introversion

Definitely

As much as possible

I'm trying damnit!... but I'm not sure if it's working... *feels insecure* :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can Fours typically:

Sometimes, yes, but 9s probably view me as being more dramatic.

Definitely.

yes - but it depends

no, not so much

eh

emotionally I'm fairly high maintenance, but I'm not "high maintenance" in the physical sense

sometimes

often

I wish...

wolfy

awsm
I am 9w8

Can Fours typically:

Yeah

I only do this when I feel like it. It is an on/off thing.

Not really.

No, I usually try to find the best possible way to get my point across. If you cross a value/thought/feeling I will tell you if I need to. I like timing and tact.

I don't care much for the phrase normal.

Very much so for me.

Yes, this is true.

Sure.

No, I don't.

Can Nines typically:

No, I wouldn't say I am open emotionally.

Not strongly.

No.

Yeah. I am no artist but I suppose I have more of this tendency than average.

No.

Mostly no. But sometimes very much so.

I don't know. I don't think so.

No.

Sometimes. I snap out pretty quick.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm pretty sure I'm a 4w5, but in the past few years it seems like my feelings have settled somewhat and I don't experience a lot of the emotional turmoils I used to. Not sure if I'm supposed to do both lists or only the Four one to see if I show 9-ish characteristics, but here goes:

Can Fours typically:

I think people who like drama actually like the emotional intensity that comes with it. Personally, I don't like drama -- but maybe it's because I find the emotions that come from unnecessary drama shallow, loud and totally unpretty.

9.2.Seek to be of service to others wherever possible, enjoy looking after those close to them, making them smile.
Yes, but only with people I really care about. Normally I'm not a people-pleaser. I can be nice, but I have too little energy to take care of everyone.

Never. For me, that's a bad strategy. If you have problems you need to dig deep, try to understand it and deal with it.

Nope. The only reason that I don't try to argue my point about something is that I don't have enough energy to do it. For things I care passionately about, though, I will defend it to the death.

Generally, no. Sometimes I have that longing to be like everyone else and fit in, but that's just when I'm stressed and don't have a lot of self-confidence.

Physically, yes. Emotionally, not at all. I'm pretty high-maintenance when it comes to attention :blush:

Yep. I try to find excuses for people. However, if they're openly mean, manipulative, evil, I resort to hating them very quickly.

I try to, because I don't want people who care about me to worry.

Once I'm aware of my own insecurities, I try to understand them so that I can overcome them. So, I guess, no.

Can Nines typically:

Yes, as long as I know my 'emotions' won't worry them.

:yes:

I know I'm not perfect, but I'm not too hard on myself. I think I'm a pretty healthy 4, though. :blush:

Absolutely!

Is this really a 4 trait? :huh: I don't really idolize people; I try to see them as who they really are and I try very hard to get a glimpse of their naked soul.

Yep.

Yep.

Not really. I think that's also part of 'avoiding' your emotions. I love it when I have strong emotions. It makes me feel alive.

I can relate to this. I never, ever ignore problems.

B

brainheart

I... (a 9w1)

Hate unnecessary drama.

Seek to be of service to others when it's not too inconvenient, doesn't mess with my 'zone out time'. I 'look' helpful and accomodating, but I do the bare minimum.

Hide out in my house/ live in fantasy land as a way of avoiding things which make me feel too deeply. I don't want to have to confront those feelings.

Do not always jump to defend my thoughts/values/feelings when I feel it might cause friction. But sometimes I do and it surprises people, myself included.

like being an individual, but I usually keep that to myself.

am exceedingly low maintenance.

See the positives in most things/people when I'm healthy. Unhealthy, I feel like one of the few good ones.

Present an impartial face to the world.

do not dwell on much. I want to solve it so all the bad feelings will go away asap.

can be openly emotional by nature, with my children and animals. Others, I'm fairly reticent.

enjoy a touch of darkness in imagination (literature etc, Burtonesque fantasy etc.) Burtonesque, yes, cause it's cute. Just plain gross and dark, no.

Feel negative about the self sometimes, but usually I'm pretty comfortable with myself.

fiction writing/poetry/art/music is one of the few ways I know how to express myself, because I can be cryptic, just go for the essence of the feeling vs coming right out and saying it.

have an annoying tendency to idolize those who actually act and do what I don't have the guts to do or say, cause I'm too scared I'll disrupt the peace and those I care about will be upset with me/no longer like me.

come across as 'intense' to those few in the world I reveal the full me to.

lapse in self-analysis easily.

agonizingly relive/recollect unpleasant moments as a means of punishing myself when I've made the mistake of revealing myself when I shouldn't have.

become anxious about problems until they somehow magically go away and I can go back to my usual chill self. AAHH.....

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can Fours typically:

- yes I hate it, but I find that the line defining unnecessary drama is a floating one whos position depends on the person.

- There are times I want to be lazy and tell the world fuck off; only inner circle and SO get unconditional/unsolicited service, and only SO gets it when I don't feel like it.

- depends on how directly it affects me or someone close enough.

- I've been working on not jumping into the pointless battles. People pleasing also hasn't been a walk in the park, typically garnering as much frustration as the effort put in.

- I like when my environment and company makes me feel normal, but I could care less about being normal to the rest of the world.

- I try to be reasonable, but I have needs too.

- not only, I left that naivete at 5.

- I will try not to spoil the vibe, but if I don't like it there I don't like it there and will try to take my leave as soon as possible. I am not all sunshine and rainbows; the world can deal with it or kiss my ass.

- this is a work in progress...

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

A manageable level of drama can be enjoyable, but with people I care about, I try (not always successfully) to avoid drama in order to keep up good relations. I've also come to appreciate the kind of respectability that comes with keeping it cool, and have learned that while drama can be fun at the time it's occurring, it usually makes me feel ashamed at some point in the future.

Somewhat; very much yes; slightly yes.

I have fantasies about getting rid of my flaws and becoming perfect, but aside from that, I'm very much a dweller.

Yes, this tends to be true of me, although I can be very adamant about certain things.

Being normal is anathema to me, although I sometimes try to fit in, in order to deflect negative sentiments or unwanted attention.

I try very hard to be low maintenance, but the closer you get to me, the higher maintenance I tend to get.

I'm extremely critical of myself, to put it mildly. With other people, I'm just as apt to see their virtues as I am to see their faults.

I tend to present a cheerful or at least untroubled face to the world, but the more you get to know me, the more you come to see that I'm also dark and far from happy.

I have my cheery moments when everything seems tolerable, but at the same time, I'm one of the most insecure people I've ever known.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You use the term "typically," so are we to assume that means a 4 of 9 in an "average" state of health? (Since healthy vs. unhealthy look worlds different...) :)

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Erm, very good point...If the answers are gonna be helpful to people how do you guys think healthy/average/unhealthy states should be properly approached here please? :)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going to answer from my personal observations of 4's and from my own perspective, to add to the perspective. :) I'm a 9w8 sx/sp, trifix is 9w8-5w6-2w3.

Can Fours typically:

Me- I hate drama. I try to fix it if it's with close friends. It's like an OCD to fix the problems with my close friends. But if it's with acquaintances and I detect that they are dramatic, I usually just stop talking to them to avoid having that in my life.

4's- Most 4's that I know tend to have a love/hate relationship with drama. It's weird to explain. Like they really hate the drama but fully embrace it to further understand it. So it can appear that they enjoy it.

Me- Generally yeah. But this seems to be more of a personal trait than anything.

Me- Absolutely not.

4's- Most 4's that I know fully embrace the problems in their lives and relationships. They embrace the emotions to fully understand them, since they react to the situation and then introspect to understand themselves and the situation more. I'd say it really depends on what the problem is and if there is a solution.

Me- it depends on what I'm defending and how I foresee it affecting my relationship with the person. I've learned that things really aren't as bad as I think that they are, so I've loosened up a bit and embraced my w8 in the past year or two. If I think it will have a negative affect on the relationship, then I won't. I will always defend a point, but when it gets personal I get uneasy.

4's- Most 4's tend to stand up for themselves like this a lot when they get to know someone. They can be incredibly blunt.

Me- Normal is a socially defined word, it means basically nothing to me. Nothing is normal.

4's- It's in pretty much every 4 profile that they like being unique and it shows; so yeah.

Me- Yes. I consider it a value to be low maintenance, I hate being a pain to be around.

4's- Really depends on the person. Sp lasts tend to be high maintenance out of all of the stackings though.

Me- Yes.

4's- Yes.

Me- lol

4's- Depends on the instincts and wing.

Me- I definitely do.

4's- They do too.

Can Nines typically:

It depends on the emotion. I'm open about positive emotions generally, but I'm not as open about negative ones. I share those only with people I feel will care.

Yesss. I love darkness in stuff! I'm more drawn to fantasy and fiction if it has a dark element, in fact I rarely read anything that's happy.

Secretly yes. But you wouldn't know it unless you were a close friend.

Not really. I do like to write screenplays, so I guess that counts as fiction writing.

Yeah... but not really that much. Most of the descriptions of this make it sound like 9's are only connected to their loved ones. I am pretty connected to the self, and I tend to see people as they are and can also be very tolerant and somewhat idealistic about them.

I've been told that. I can be too intense for some people, particularly some social first people; mostly so/sps but some so/sxs. I think this has to do with being an sx/sp more than anything though.

Yes.

Yes.

Generally yes. I become depressed about my problems, then end up trying to do something about them, and if I can't do anything I get more depressed until a solution presents itself.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll answer the questions about Fours that were addressed to Nines.

I have social anxiety disorder (or as I prefer to call it, extreme self-consciousness), so I'm not normally very expressive; I try to vanish in order to relieve the feelings of exposure. When I'm comfortable, though, I'm openly emotional, although I try to modulate myself in order to avoid being rejected by the people I care about. Sometimes that means concealing, or at least trying to conceal my emotions.

Yes, yes, three times yes; I adore things like the Nightmare Before Christmas and Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

Intensely so, although there's a part of me that feels superior to most people.

I'm inclined to express myself through the written word, but I'm not always good at it.

Very much so, although I also have a scornful streak.

Fairly often, but only if you get to know me.

Yes, which is the main reason I enjoy personality typologies and participating in topics like these; they give me an opportunity to figure myself out.

I avoid thinking about the past, as I seldom find pleasure in it and have a foggy, disjointed memory.

I'm someone who needs to work through my feelings and to some extent wallow in them before I can bring things to a resolution. I would never try to sweep a problem under the rug, and I think that people who do are usually causing problems that are even worse than the ones they started out with.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
For me, these are true.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well I think I'm confused. :(