• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Observations of enneagram types and being mistyped in MBTI and the enneagram

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've noticed a lot of patterns in what types get mistyped, and how some MBTI-enneagram combos can make people get massively mistyped.

A lot of this is rambling and mental vomit, keep in mind. :tongue:

1: I__P 1's often can appear to be like I__Js, and may mistype themselves that way. INTP 1s are sometimes mistaken for ISTJ or INTJ. E__J 1's may mistake themselves for introverts, especially the 1w9s. 1w2 T types mistake themselves for F types, they can often appear to have the F "warmth" but still use Te or Ti as a main judgment function. Same for 1w9 feelers, but vice versa. Can come off as T's, but still have Fe or Fi as a dominant judgment function.

2: 2's honestly seem to be universally F types, especially __FJ. Sometimes E_FP, but rarely I_FP. I_FJ 2's can mistake themselves for E_FJs, especially if they aren't a social last. In fact, social last 2's are really really weird to think about, I don't think I've ever seen one or met one... hmm. Should check my enneagram videos. I need to get around to posting that on here.

3: Can be literally any jungian type, but I don't really go around seeing introverted 3's very much. Type 3 seems to be almost dominated by S types, so for 3 I have ESXX/ISTP>ENXX> the others. 3's I notice are mostly these MBTI types- ESFJ, ESTJ, ESFP, ENFP, ISTP, ENFJ, ENTJ, ENTP, and ESTP. So basically every extrovert, plus ISTP for some reason. Think Shaq for ISTP 3, they are the sports stars and master athletes that are really practical and intelligent but also people friendly. Introverted 3's may confuse themselves for extroverts. I honestly don't see very many mistypings with 3's, except ENFP 3's seem to commonly think that they are ESFPs; or are just confused over the S/N dichotomy.

4: Mostly introverts. INTJ 4's often mistake themselves for INFPs or ISFPs. ENFP 4w5's mistake themselves for INFPs, INFP 4w3s may mistake themselves for ENFPs, ENFJs, or ISFPs. 4w3 introverts in general seem to be very stereotypically "extroverted," since type 3's are one of the three aggressive types. 4w5s seem to be stereotypically "introverted," with 4 and 5 both being withdrawn types. So yeah, easy to mistake yourself for another MBTI type if you have a hard time with the functions. A WORD OF CAUTION: 4 =/= FI!!!!!

ENTP 4's, though rare, are extremely, EXTREMELY inwardly conflicted. With having the 4's main motivations plus having Fi as their very worst function, they can be very very inwardly conflicted.

5: Seem to be almost exclusively introverts, INXX and ISTX, rarely ISFJ. I've never seen an ISFP 5. Also ENTP rarely. Most people who are 5's think that they are INTPs, hell a lot of 5's ARE INTPs. INFP 5's usually think that they are INTP or INTJ. ISTJ 5's may be confused on the S and N dichotomy, or may appear borderline on S/N. ISTPs seem to be 5w6s, hardly ever 5w4. The ISTs are more commonly 5w6, the INs are more commonly 5w4s.

6: 6's seem to be the classic ambiverts. They may be confused over E/I and T/F. The S/N and P/J dichotomies seem to be obvious in 6's, but not so much the other ones. You can see the mistypings possible there, I don't have to type it out.

7: Seem to be all extroverts and IS_Ps. Rarely ES_Js; ES_J 7's may have stronger "Ne" in MBTI terms. ES_P 7's usually mistaken for EN_Ps; since in most descriptions Ne dominants sound a lot like 7's. But they aren't capturing what Ne actually is in those unfortunately; most EN_P descriptions are just of 7's who have an EN_P preference and not just of EN_Ps. IS_P 7's usually mistake themselves for extroverts. 7w8 feelers can appear somewhat T like, 7w6 thinkers can be somewhat feely.

8: Most 8's confuse themselves for E_TJs. I've seen E_T_s, E_FPs, ISTPs, and INTJs as 8's. Most INTJ 8's are 8w9s. 8w9s can sometimes think that they aren't 8's because they are the "nicer" 8's, and most 8 descriptions are of 8w7s. E_FP 8's usually think that they are/are mistaken for E_TJs, ESFPs thinking they are ESTJs, ENFPs thinking they are ENTJs. ESFP 8's can also be mistaken for ESTPs. ISTP 8's are usually social last variant wise.

9: Most 9's tend to mistype themselves or question themselves in the enneagram/MBTI; since by definition 9's don't know themselves that well, or have a hard time doing that. We just know other people, and are detached from ourselves to be attached to the world. The stereotypical I_FPs are 4's, and I_FP 9's can seem to be I_TP from the untrained eye.

More to come as I think of it...

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
9: Most 9's tend to mistype themselves or question themselves in the enneagram/MBTI; since by definition 9's don't know themselves that well, or have a hard time doing that. We just know other people, and are detached from ourselves to be attached to the world. The stereotypical I_FPs are 4's, and I_FP 9's can seem to be I_TP from the untrained eye.

Neat thread.

Does an ENTx 1w9 seem contradictory to you, BlackCat? As the resident authority on Enneagram (sorry, Magic), I'm extremely interested in your insight into this matter.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An E__P 1 seems like a strange combination, but there are definitely ENTJ 1w9s that I've seen. But I'm sure that there is an E__P 1 out there.

One thing to keep in mind is that most E__Ps are 7's. The 7's point of disintegration is 1, so if an E__P is appearing 1 like in kind of a stressed out and unhealthy way, they might be a 7 going through a bad phase.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
An E__P 1 seems like a strange combination, but there are definitely ENTJ 1w9s that I've seen. But I'm sure that there is an E__P 1 out there.

One thing to keep in mind is that most E__Ps are 7's. The 7's point of disintegration is 1, so if an E__P is appearing 1 like in kind of a stressed out and unhealthy way, they might be a 7 going through a bad phase.

Interesting. So, in your opinion, it's of sufficient probability that I've either mistyped myself with MBTI and/or Enneagram?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always thought I had to be a 5 because of my INTPness (heh). I kept investigating INFP, but it never fit at all and I failed miserably with the F questions ("sacrifice for others? fuck no!"). But I was warmer and more accomodating than other pricklish INTPs.

Type 9 finally made sense of those seeming contradictions.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Great stuff. Funny 9 description, as the other day I told Fluffywolf I thought he was a 9 but he didn't like the enneagram because he couldn't find anything he identified with :laugh:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
5: Seem to be almost exclusively introverts, INXX and ISTX, rarely ISFJ. I've never seen an ISFP 5. Also ENTP rarely. Most people who are 5's think that they are INTPs, hell a lot of 5's ARE INTPs. INFP 5's usually think that they are INTP or INTJ. ISTJ 5's may be confused on the S and N dichotomy, or may appear borderline on S/N. ISTPs seem to be 5w6s, hardly ever 5w4. The ISTs are more commonly 5w6, the INs are more commonly 5w4s.
What do you (or others) see as the distinctions between an INTJ 5w4 vs. 5w6; and similarly, an INTP 5w4 vs. 5w6? I consider myself 5w6, but my knowledge of enneagram is rather limited and other perspectives are helpful.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Interesting. So, in your opinion, it's of sufficient probability that I've either mistyped myself with MBTI and/or Enneagram?

FWIW, and not that you have asked me, but you have always had an ENTJ flavor to you.

1w9 would tuck into that nicely.

What instinctual variant do you identify with Night (sp, so, sx)? That may also be a clue to help you sort out any uncertainty surrounding type.

$8 bucks, 20 minutes: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/Tests_Battery.asp#IVQ

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is a cool thread. I'd like to see an opposite one - i.e. how each MBTI type can be confused about enneagram. For example, I still can't figure out how a 1w2 could POSSIBLY think they were a 6w7... but it happened to me.

1w2 T types mistake themselves for F types, they can often appear to have the F "warmth" but still use Te or Ti as a main judgment function.
I relate to this. I don't think of myself as seeming like an F, but people here have thought I seemed ESFJ and ENFP before. And sometimes, because I'm a good listener, I've found myself with the INFJ problem of "WHY DOES THIS CRAZY PERSON KEEP TALKING TO ME?!?!? :cry: :cry: :cry:"

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Great thread, Blackcat! :)

I agree with this. It seems that INFP 9s tend to mistype themselves as 4s because they have "turbulent emotions". I'm pretty certain my INFP boyfriend is a 9w1, but he's convinced he's a 4w5.

I've also recently found out my uncle is an INFP. I always thought he was an INTP, but he doesn't have that 'sarcastic edge' that all NTs seem to possess.

Lots of my friends are 9s as well -- so it's hard to pinpoint what makes a 9 a 9. Not sure what my point is anyway, but I wish I understood 9s better. :blush:

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am an ENFP and I really struggled to find something I identified with in Enneagram. Eventually when I started looking at the descriptions with the wings, 9w8 was the only thing that seemed to really fit for me. Just reading 9 by itself didn't seem to work at all.

So I think I'm ENFP 9w8 but I am really not sure.

Does this seem like a contradictory combination or is it pretty likely? The more I think about it the less confident I get.

Also I have moments where I wonder if I'm ENTP but I really feel pretty confident in ENFP.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
^ have you actually tested on enneagram?
Yeah. I have taken several different tests. I tested as a 9, 4, 3, and 1, and one of the tests just gave up and said it couldn't figure me out. :confused:

KDude

I think I'm some kind of etype that reflects dichotomy.. like 4 or 6. I had thought 9w8 at one point, but I misunderstood it. They are more inclined to chill, and have that "merging" well with others thing. Apparently it's a standard ISFP type, and while I try, I wouldn't really know the first thing about how to be a 9.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah. I have taken several different tests. I tested as a 9, 4, 3, and 1, and one of the tests just gave up and said it couldn't figure me out. :confused:
I considered creating a type 10 and becoming the first member of the 10 Club.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
FWIW, and not that you have asked me, but you have always had an ENTJ flavor to you.

1w9 would tuck into that nicely.

What instinctual variant do you identify with Night (sp, so, sx)? That may also be a clue to help you sort out any uncertainty surrounding type.

$8 bucks, 20 minutes: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/Tests_Battery.asp#IVQ

These are some really good thoughts.

In a supervisory position (former mod), I can definitely see how people might transform the running narrative that is my online personality into something distinct and uncompromising. Although I don't personally see it, individual perception is obviously biased and therefore limited in terms of extrapolating fact from desire.

Perhaps I should simply embrace the inevitability that ENTJ is actually my real, final MBTI.

Done.

(Oh, and I score highest on assertive traits.)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
7: IS_P 7's usually mistake themselves for extroverts.

I don't think I do myself, but the Type 4 and Type 9 ISFPs on this forum seem to think I'm ESFP. But I think they're confusing extraversion with...uh...seven..ness.. ;)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems to me that an ExTP with an out of control tertiary Fe could easily be a 2. The Tenth Doctor is an ENTP 2w3.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great stuff. Funny 9 description, as the other day I told Fluffywolf I thought he was a 9 but he didn't like the enneagram because he couldn't find anything he identified with :laugh:

Insinuate the assumption I am INFP once more, I dare you. :D