User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Can you have unusual Enneagram/MBTI combinations?

Interesting idea from here:

The Enneagram and the MBTI&reg: Scoring

The main thing that perplexes me is this... most would tend to choose an enneagram type that fits their MBTI type (or vice-versa), and if they choose one that doesn't, people will tell them it's a mistype or mark it off as individual traits.

So what I'm asking is, could a person have somewhat/seemingly conflicting enneagram and MBTI scores? If so, how would this manifest?

Some examples I've thought of (or borrowed) to give an example of such unusual combinations:

Judging 7's

Perceiving 3's

Feeling 5's

Thinking 4's

Finally, do you think that any one type may be more disposed to having a particular enneagram/MBTI conflict than another, even if that type usually has a more normal enneagram type?

Of course, it could all be due to misunderstanding of both systems, and that trait conflicts can't really exist in such a manner. Which do you think it is?

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post

The main thing that perplexes me is this... most would tend to choose an enneagram type that fits their MBTI type (or vice-versa), and if they choose one that doesn't, people will tell them it's a mistype or mark it off as individual traits.

So what I'm asking is, could a person have somewhat/seemingly conflicting enneagram and MBTI scores? If so, how would this manifest?

Some examples I've thought of (or borrowed) to give an example of such unusual combinations:

Judging 7's

Perceiving 3's

Feeling 5's

Thinking 4's

Finally, do you think that any one type may be more disposed to having a particular enneagram/MBTI conflict than another, even if that type usually has a more normal enneagram type?

Of course, it could all be due to misunderstanding of both systems, and that trait conflicts can't really exist in such a manner. Which do you think it is?
    Good thread Athenian, following on Ezra's typing one.

I'm not certain how the Enneagram dovetails with the MBTI. I did the test twice and came out with roughly balanced scores, but highest in the shame triad, lowest in the anger. Ezra typed me as 3w4. I'm still not sure how this fits with the ENTP as you've observed. I can't really find a fit on the Enneagram that I'm comfortable with actually. Would be interested to hear more. .

MBTI
    INTP

Judging 7's

Perceiving 3's

Feeling 5's

Thinking 4's

The individuals whose E shows an unusual pattern should do the MBTI CP test.
    The cognate aberration is evident there as well.

It is as it should be.

Edit.
    The MBTI is not about the 16 types.
    The 16 types is about the MBTI.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Judging 7's

Perceiving 3's

Feeling 5's

Thinking 4's
    You may be surprised, but the middle two - Perceiving 3s and Feeling 5s - are actually quite common. However, Thinking 4s and Judging 7s are certainly uncommon.

I think, basically, that each type's behaviour (even their atypical behaviour e.g. an intellectual, philosophical 8) is linked with certain ways of being over others, and while some are rare but still go down well e.g. a Feeling 8 or an ISTP 3, some are just "no" i.e. if you found one, you'd either be a genius or mistaken, more likely the latter.

I've always thought the chart at the bottom of this page was the best resource for MBTT/Enneagram correlations. But even some of those surprise me a lot. It seems that 7s as ESTJs aren't "Least Common" but "Less Common". It seems like Judging 7s do actually exist in MBTT.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I'm not certain how the Enneagram dovetails with the MBTI. I did the test twice and came out with roughly balanced scores, but highest in the shame triad, lowest in the anger. Ezra typed me as 3w4. I'm still not sure how this fits with the ENTP as you've observed.
    I didn't type you as a 3w4; I said that this is a possibility. We'll look more into it if you want. I actually wanted to say 4, because you scored so balanced, so I assumed you had identity issues, which is a major issue for the Shame triad, but since 4s are very rarely if ever NTs, I decided on the next more likely one - 3w4. 3 is the only type in the Shame triad that remotely fits the NT temperament (and even this is not the most likely). On top of this, you scored highest in that triad.

A question for you: how sure are you of your being a Thinker over a Feeler? Honestly?

I can't really find a fit on the Enneagram that I'm comfortable with actually.
    You're not the first. There are quite a few at the16types who feel the same way; they think their socionics type fits much better than their Etype. (However, there are a few people who feel the opposite way, even though they came to socionics first.) Personally, I feel that my Etype settles much more easily with me than my MBTT type. I also think it's easier to find your MBTT type if you know your Etype rather than vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The MBTI is not about the 16 types.
    The 16 types is about the MBTI.
    That's bullshit. That would mean that socionics is not about Jung's eight functions or even the sixteen variations that arise from said functions, but about Myers-Briggs, which is blatent crap, because MBTT is obviously based on what Jung says, and Myers or Briggs or anyone from their institute would readily admit this.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Anyway, back to the original question. Yes, I think these occur. I think that correlations are only rough guidelines as to likelihood, which is why Baron and Wagele (who produced the bottom chart on the page I posted) have a system from "Least Common" to "Most Common", as opposed to "You Will Never Find One" to "All xs are ys".

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    A question for you: how sure are you of your being a Thinker over a Feeler? Honestly?
    fwiw, she comes across to me online as an emotive ENTP... i.e., not the sort of hardcore T that can drive people nutty, she actually has some warmth that often can be more representative of F.

(Compare her to Niffer and she does come off as T to Niffer's F, but it's a kinder and gentler T than someone like Nocapszy, for example. It could also just be indicative of having a much stronger Ne than Ti. Ne is softer observably and can thus emulate F to a degree.)

I never would have thought "Three" for her, enneagram-wise.

Obviously all of these opinions are prone to adjustment with the introduction of additional info!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Well, ENTP 3s aren't common. Like I said, it was an estimation based on her results. I just used the evidence in front of me. Perhaps she's a 6. This wouldn't be unlikely; ENTP 6s are pretty common (not as common as xNTJ 6s, but common). It would also account for her balanced results (indecisiveness). Perhaps even 9. They are brilliant at being able to identify with every Etypes to some extent.

So, aelan, how do you feel about 6 or 9?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    So, aelan, how do you feel about 6 or 9?
    I'm interested in hearing more about her preferences for Nine, if I had to pick. Six seems a shot in the dark.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Scratch that. ENTP 9 is like ESTJ 4. Doesn't happen.