User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: 9 or 4....or?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Default 9 or 4....or?

Most of the tests I've taken (all of them free) have indicated that I'm a 4, which does describe me pretty accurately. But I also feel close to 9.

I definitely felt the isolation/misery that characterizes the unhealthy aspects of 4 more in my younger years. Now, however, I feel like I'm closer to 9. Maybe I'm a healthy 4 and just want to be a 9. Or maybe I'm something else all together.

Any suggestions?

Here's some test results, both strongly indicative of 4:
    "New Test" on 9types.com
    Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9
    -7 2 -5 13 3 0 0 -11 5

RHETI Sampler on enneagraminstitute.com
    Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9
    3 5 3 7 4 4 4 1 5

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

I have no idea why I thought those test results would format the right way.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

From reading your test results, they indicate higher scores for type 4. But what I recommend is to select the type that you feel best describes you. I went through a similar thing as you. For some time, I thought that I was a type 1, but after reading the descriptions of a type 4, I found that I connected with it better. Type 4s are prone to perfectionism like the type 1, but this perfectionism is self-directed (it goes with the fear of being defective).

Check to see whether the type 9 description of this suits you, likewise with type 4. Choose the one you feel a connection with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

i did the 4/9 dance for a while as well! decided ultimately on 4, after much deliberation.
    have you checked out the descriptions at the enneagram ...info from the underground ? i found them helpful, especially in determining instinctual variants.
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Thanks for the advice from the both of you! @demimondaine Glad to know that I'm not the only one!

It is a bit of a sticky wicket since both 9s and 4s seem to have that self-awareness of identity and the concern that there isn't any "substance" to themselves (and both can be creative). Whichever one I am, I believe that I'm a healthy one, so that makes it even harder to discern for sure which one it is.

I do like to help people and am viewed as a good mediator by my friends. I am also very much involved in social justice/environmental activism, which usually go hand in hand anyway. But in my younger years I did have that superiority complex/individuality that seems to typify 4s. My ego was also fostered because I've always been pretty much good at everything I've set out to do, and received much praise for it (not bragging, just saying). And I always felt different and isolated because of it. I've since come to terms with the tragic hero complex.

So, it would seem that I'm more of a 4. I think the reason that I desire to promote "peace" and justice as I see it, because those that would most benefit are those who are the outcasts, the downtrodden, and I've always felt a connection with them.

But I'm not completely sure, and am still going to be dancing for awhile. Thanks for the help guys!

brainheart

I, as well, am doing the dance.
    But I think I do lean more toward four, mainly because I feel like a four on the inside, although I often exhibit nine-like behavior to maintain the peace. I seem to test 4/7/9, which makes it all the more confusing, because seven and four seem pretty different to me- I mean, how am I dramatic, while not wanting to rock the boat, and all the while viewing the future with optimism while finding beauty in my pain? Unsure, but that seems to be how it is...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Fours and Nines do have some similarities- one big one is their tendency to withdraw under stress- it looks like the same action, but the motivations are very different.

Nines withdraw from difficulties so they won't feel anxious or upset- they retreat inside themselves to their own happier, idealized view of reality. They also detach from their own negative emotions to avoid causing others to be anxious or upset.

Fours withdraw from difficulties for self-protection- when they need time to work through and process their emotions. Fours do not tune out their emotions (like Nines) but instead focus on them, even brooding on them in order to deal with them.

Think about a time when you felt really strong negative emotions- how did you deal with them? If you pulled away from people and focused on those feelings to get through it, you sound like a Four. If you withdrew from people and pushed the feelings aside- even pretending they never happened- then you sound more like a Nine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AllPersonality.com blog
    INFJ 3w4 sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Nines don't like conflict at all. While you might be a good mediator with friends, does any conflict at all make you want to end it? Do you want peace at any price? Apparently 9s when unhealthy can even have a feeling of "emptiness" inside, which the above poster sort of touched on when saying that they will supress their feelings.

I think a 4 could easily be involved with activism (I have been) so I don't necessarily think that's soley a 9 trait.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

That's a good distinction Rena. And it's part of the reason why I lean towards 4. I've never been one to shy away from what is generally viewed as "negative", although now I do try to stay optimistic in the face of said negativity.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

baaarrryy inturresting:
    via http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/evaltest.php

You are most likely a type 9.

Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 4w5 or 5w4.
    Type 9 - 7
    Type 4 - 6
    Type 5 - 6
    Type 2 - 5.7
    Type 7 - 5.3
    Type 6 - 4.7
    Type 3 - 4

Wing 4w5 - 9
    Wing 5w4 - 9
    Wing 9w8 - 8.4
    Wing 5w6 - 8.4
    Wing 4w3 - 8