123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default The big ol' bowl of Enneagram

Hello, all!

This is an MBTI site, but quite a lot of questions about the Enneagram roll around this joint.
    More interesting for me, is that I seem to have been selected as the de facto Enneagram guy.
    That being said, I thought that it might be best for me just to make my own Enneagram topic. Eh?

This ain't no blog, because I don't want it to be about me at all. I just want to put Enneagram stuff here.
    To start, here are a bunch of links. (I've posted them elsewhere, but I'm tired of doing it over and over again, so I'll put them all here.)

Changeworks.com .Some good descriptions that include wings, instincts, and type dynamics.
    Enn9styls1.html

Added: 12/17/2007
    This is a little place with information on types as well as quite a lot on instinctual preferences. (Unfortunately, it is badly written at times)
    the enneagram ...info from the underground

Added: 12/19/2007
    This place has information on the types including their wings. Its major downside is that it has a strange, mystical mindset to it.
    Nine Personalities

Added: 01/09/2008
    Largely Enneagram site with an eclectic jumble of approaches.
    Has instinct info but nothing about wings from what I can see.

Breakthroughs with the Enneagram

Added: 01/31/2008
    This site has a large amount of useful resources for the Enneagram, including tests and instinct information. I warn hard-nosed skeptics that this site also revolves around a lot of spiritualism.
    Energy and the Enneagram

Added: 01/31/2008
    This site is actually where my type correlation page is from, but I've put a link to the main page here in case anyone hadn't noticed. This place has an exceptional amount of information, with wings, instincts, and a compilation of articles and tests. The sight is actually for multiple systems, too.
    Lifexplore - Personality, Myers-Briggs, Enneagram, Tests, Type Descriptions, More

9type.com .A very handy place for lots of quick little bits of information about Enneagram types.
    www.9types.com
    And this goes directly to their test. Enneagram Personality Type Indicator

Here are some other links to tests.
    Free Enneagram Test
    Advanced Enneagram Personality Test

My personal favorite. This is the MBTI-Enneagram type correlation theories page.
    Type Correlations

This is also another, interesting device that poses another theory on correlation. (snazzy interface, but I personally don't like it as much)
    JavaScript Tool for Exploring Typological Space

Now, from time to time, I will also be posting things that I find. This includes information others may not have access to.
    (I'm an Enneagraminstitute member, and I'm going to be saving you some trouble. )
    So, I'll probably post something shortly.

I hope this helps!
    If it doesn't I'll go weep in a corner.
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 01-31-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added stuff.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

do you know where i can find population percentages for each of the 9 types?

maybe split into gender?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, dissonance, the problem with all such figures, even for the MBTI, is that it is skewed to those who would be interested in test taking and typology, as well as the fact that it is often skewed toward people who use the internet.
    Much of the figures we see out there are conjecture.

This place Enneagram Test Stats, for instance, collected the avarages of the test takers. You can see by the results though, that this really appears to be more of an assessment of which types use the internet the most.

I can't think of a place that does the general population, off the top of my head.
    Now, if you want, I can try to do online scounging for you, and save you the trouble.

EDIT:
    I take back my previous edit. They didn't even out the genders.
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 12-17-2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Additional information
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

thanks for the link.

but yeah, it's completely and utterly skewed by internet usage and interest in personality

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

So far, I'm not getting very good results.

I can say, with some fair certainty, that Twos and Fours should have the most female population, and Fives and Eights should have the most male population.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Something with pretty large uncertainty bars could be worked out from MBTI population stats, using rough correlations between the MBTI and the enneagram.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lbloom View Post
    Something with pretty large uncertainty bars could be worked out from MBTI population stats, using rough correlations between the MBTI and the enneagram.
    Tricky. An interesting idea, but it would be very uncertain indeed.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Thanks for this, Magic. *squishes the poriferan*

I can never seem to get enough of the approaches. They always turn up something of interest.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Do you know of any other place that elaborates more on wings? I know that I am a 5 sp/sx, but I am having trouble in determining whether I am a w4 or w6, even after reading both descriptions.

What would you suggest to resolve this?

What are the most fundamental differences between a 5w4 and a 5w6? What is the most significant thing that distinguishes one from the other?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

This makes sense to me... (ah, the wings begin to become more clear...) I relate to the 2w1 and not the 2w3.

Two With a 1 Wing:

This wing brings conscience and emotional containment to the basic Two style. When healthy, they act from general principles about the value of serving others. Ethics come before pride. May hold themselves to high standards. More discreet and respectful of other people's boundaries. When upset, tend to go quiet and experience strong emotions internally. More melancholy than Twos with a 3 wing.

When less healthy and entranced, tend to confuse their sense of mission with self-centered needs. Go blind to their own motives; invade and dominate others. Believe their actions are perfectly justified by their ethic of helping. May repress their personal desires and focus on others as a way to avoid guilty dilemma between the rules and their inner needs. If really blind they will warp their ethics crazily to justify personal selfishness and prideful hostility.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious