• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] The big ol' bowl of Enneagram

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks!!!
Whoah! Now those look too close to mine for comfort!
You said "slightly modified from anything on a site", "customized". I don't get that. Do you mean they were not copied from anywhere, but were customized by being made from scratch instead? Or that they were copied, and then "customized" by being slightly modified (i.e. colored in)?

I got from mine from another Wikipedian, who created four of them for the "Four Temperaments" article. They matched pictures of carved masks representing the temperaments. The shy looking one (in the upper left) was Phlegmatic. The person released them to the public under the Wiki GNU license. So I copied them, and I have seen other sites copy some of them, and if you copied them, it is OK.

Yes, I found the same page, with the same image. I changed them by moving/making faces and coloring them in.

So I took them for both my Five Temperament article, as well as my sites, and redesignated the shy looking one as the fifth temperament, and created the one with the straight mouth and eyes as the true Phlegmatic. I also created the "inbetween" ones with either the eyes OR mouth straight (but not both), which represent what we call the "Phlegmatic Blends". These lie between the five main temperaments.
This was all done about 3 years ago.

That is incredibly similar to what I did. :rofl1: I did that almost verbatim.

So what order of Enneagram types does your image follow? What is what on there? (I know it can't simply be in numerical order, because the happy-but-shy one in the upper left can't be #1. That table is just like mine, but flipped diagonally.

Well, the faces correspond to my own analysis, which, as you can see, was somewhat different from the factor models you were analyzing, though I had read about them before developing my own theory.

In my image, we could say that they eyes refer to situation management, and the mouth refers to emotional response. So, corresponding to my variables and values...

Angry eyes = Active/Aggressive
Straight eyes = Passive/Evasive
Sad eyes = Reactive/Supportive

Happy mouth = Projective
Straight mouth = Detached
Sad mouth = Temperamental

Now then, if we use that guide to corelate the faces with the Enneagram types, the order is as follows:

Upper left = Two
Upper middle = One
Upper right = Six
Middle Right = Four
Lower Right = Eight
Lower Middle = Three
Lower Left = Seven
Middle left = Nine
Complete Middle = Five

As I pointed out, the numbering convention that was originally used in the Enneagram seems to have no rationale behind it. I was rather disappointed to find that out, but we move on.

It is of some interest, though, that as I had said, I showed the picture to people and had them assign the type based on appearance. It did not entirely match my official assigment.

The Two, Six, Four, Eight, and Seven were typically given to the faces that I had given them to. However, the lower middle was usually made the One, the complete middle was usually made the Nine, the middle left was made the Three, and the upper middle was made the Five.

I unfortunately had only a small sample of people who actually knew the Enneagram, but the consistency of their pick was rather striking. It was too small however for me to do a follow up test, to see if the color of the faces affected peoples' choices. I was not in a position to find enough people that hadn't already taken the first test.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So your arrangement agrees with mine on 8, 3, 7. Only I have them on the right edge instead of the bottom.

The 6 I matched with Supine as the upper left, which you're saying is 2. Those two types I see are similar, but since the 2 seems a bit more ambiverted, I give it the straight eyes like the left middle, which you're saying is 9.
The 6 is not thought of as "introverted", but its "fearful" behavior (in comparison to the 2) matches what in FIRO and APS is associated with low expressed behavior. Hence, the "shy/sad" eyes for the 6. But then you have that and the sad mouth for the 6 as well, in the upper right. Again, their nervousness we would associate with high wanted behavior, which would be a smiling mouth. Enneagram focuses more on negative traits, so I believe you do not see the more positive, "friendly" qualities of the type. But the negative qualities clearly match our fifth temperament Supine (and FIRO's "Inhibited Individual").

Meanwhile, the 9 I know is considered introverted, as well as agreeable. I guess it would have the general "amiable" image of the middle left, though the features don't match E/R. But the 9 is clearly Phlegmatic, which we considered ambiverted and inbetween people/task-oriented. I also see the 6 called an "ambivert", but the two types are "ambiverted in two different ways. The Supine expresses as an introvert and responds as an extrovert. That mixture can be considered a type of "ambiversion") (And I believe it is what give me my I/E ambiguities). The Phlegmatic expresses as an introvert or extrovert at times, and also responds as an introvert or extrovert. They can basically "take people or leave 'em". Others apparently see this, if they also thought the center face was 9.

The 5 I see as very critical (like the 1 and 8, as you acknowledge), so it should have the frowning mouth. And it is introverted, so it should have the sad eyes. The 1 and 4 are reversed. 1, 4 and 5 are very Melancholy. It seems the 1 has the Melancholy's perfectionism, the 4 has its "artisticness" and the 5 has its analyticalness. But the 5 seems the most introverted and directive together. The 1 is directive, but not as introverted, and the 4 is introverted, but not as directive.

Of course, you're using those other factors (instead of E/R), which I would have to analyze more.
One version of Enneagram theory that seems to support the E/R analysis to some extent, is The Enneagram: a Journey of Self Discovery (1984) by Maria Beesing, Bob Nogosek, and Pat O'Leary group the Enneagram styles according to Dependent Types (2,6,7), Aggressive Types (8,3,1), and Withdrawing Types (5,9,4). The Dependent types all have the high responsive score, just as we have them. The Aggressive types all towards the lower right corner [of the FIRO/APS matrix], with moderate to high expressive behavior, and moderate to low responsive behavior; representing "extraversion" and "directiveness". The Withdrawing types are low in expression in two cases, and much lean towards the lower left, conveying a sense of "introversion" and "directiveness". (Again, the Phlegmatic counterpart (9) is also considered "low E" as it is in many other instruments).

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
I just took a few of these enneagram tests, and the one that made the most sense to me (in terms of both the questions and results) was the SimilarMinds test.

Code:
Type 1 Perfectionism  	||||||  		30%
Type 2 	Helpfulness 	|||||||||||| 		45%
Type 3 	Image Focus 	|||||||||| 		31%
Type 4 	Hypersensitivity|||||||||| 		40%
Type 5 	Detachment 	|||||||||||||||||||| 	85%
Type 6 	Anxiety 	|||||||||| 		32%
Type 7 	Adventurousness |||||| 			28%
Type 8 	Aggressiveness 	|||| 			15%
Type 9 	Calmness 	|||||||||||||||||| 	77%

All of those percentages seem accurate to me, based on what I know about myself. And of course, the NT in me is wondering why 30% is represented by 6 bars, and both 31% and 40% are represented by 10 bars.

And I agree that there doesn't seem to be much reason to the restriction that wings be adjacent to core type. I definitely see myself as a 5w9. And I don't see why Detachment and Calmness should be that far from each other.

redacted

Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||||| 74%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||||||| 74%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 67%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||||| 67%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||| 55%
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||| 44%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||| 25%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||| 21%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||| 17%

these scores seem pretty different from what i had imagined. i think my current assessment of type 9w1 holds true, although i've changed my mind every few months...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And I agree that there doesn't seem to be much reason to the restriction that wings be adjacent to core type. I definitely see myself as a 5w9. And I don't see why Detachment and Calmness should be that far from each other.

What's more perplexing is that Eight (belligerence) is next to Nine (conflict avoidance). That's one of the things that first conjured my doubt about the wings.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, again, if you look at 9 as the pure Phlegmatic and thus completely ambiverted (both in expression and responsiveness or people/task orientation), then it is in the center of, and thus close to all of the temperaments. Still, as you noted, you would expect types like 1 or 3 to be next to 8 first.
But this would be to match the E/R scale, but as we know, the Enneagram theorists were not using E/R. The fact that you and others noted this about the 1 and 8 being next to 9 shows that E/R is the most "natural" matrix to map the types on. (And those who do compare them to E/R behavior generally see the 9 as low E/high R, which would make it diametrically opposite of 8. But again, I would say it was dead center).

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In general, I take an approach that does not regard any type as being moderate or centered. I contest that no Enneagram type represents a symetrical relation to all others as the phlegmatic temperament would.

The system I put together was based on the notion that while each variable had three values, none of those values are simply in the middle of a continuum. Rather than having two sides with one value inbetween, I would depict my variables as triangles, with three points equally different from each other.

If such a system is followed, then neautrality cannot exist, and as an added note, the Nine and the Eight would indeed be very different.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, so you're talking about
Angry eyes = Active/Aggressive
Straight eyes = Passive/Evasive
Sad eyes = Reactive/Supportive

Happy mouth = Projective
Straight mouth = Detached
Sad mouth = Temperamental

In my scheme, the straight mouth or eyes represented "moderation", since their position was basically "inbetween" that of happy or sad. In yours, and the Horney Scales used by Chou and others (Away/Against/Toward), I knew the "middle" point was not "moderate, and that was one major difference with the FIRO-based system. So yes, it is more of a triangular scale. I guess passive/evasive or detached would fit those facial features, even though they're not "moderate" inbetween those other points you mentioned.

It's kind of hard to picture a matrix where the factors are two dimensional rather than one dimensional. That would technically be a four dimensional system, except that the two dimensions of the factors are based on a 60 degree angle instead of right angles.

Still, I don't fully know what some of those mean. The 9 is "projective" instead of "detached"?

redacted

can you guys explain what the variables are that you're talking about?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The variables Magic is referring to I believe are the ones that he earlier printed, and I just copied in small type, with the descriptions of the mouth and eyes.

the ones I use are "expressive" and "responsive" behavior, which both can be low, moderate or high. These scales measure stuff like extroversion/introversion or directing/informing. We're discussing how to measure the Enneagtram types by the respective scales. My framework thus gives possible correlations between MBTI and Enneagram. Magic's, I'm not sure, as I don't understand those facets yet, or if he maps them to the 16 types.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my scheme, the straight mouth or eyes represented "moderation", since their position was basically "inbetween" that of happy or sad. In yours, and the Horney Scales used by Chou and others (Away/Against/Toward), I knew the "middle" point was not "moderate, and that was one major difference with the FIRO-based system. So yes, it is more of a triangular scale. I guess passive/evasive or detached would fit those facial features, even though they're not "moderate" inbetween those other points you mentioned.

It's kind of hard to picture a matrix where the factors are two dimensional rather than one dimensional. That would technically be a four dimensional system, except that the two dimensions of the factors are based on a 60 degree angle instead of right angles.

You are right about it being two-dimensional. I am of the strong opinion that any time that we can find three variations, there are actually four, because all things are compositions of boolean variables. However, following such a system would either inflate the number of possible types to sixteen, or, when cutting it down to two binary variables or one quadrinary variable(the same thing really) would make the number of types only four. While either way would be more true to the binary nature of the world, it is a change too radical and work too tedious for me to have decided upon (however, the relation to the number of MB types [16] and the number of Temperaments [4] is rather intriguing).

Still, I don't fully know what some of those mean. The 9 is "projective" instead of "detached"?

The uncertainty is understandable, since as I had said, the names I chose for these modes were totally ad hoc and not necessarily very accurate.

What I was trying to say is that Nines are geared toward showing and seeing the feelings they want to show and feel. They have a problem with accepting ugly emotions, which gives way to some of their characteristic negative tendencies: Denial, deference, procrastination, poor resolve, and passive-aggression. (As would be expected, some of these qualities are shared by the other two "projective" types).

Compare with its "detached" counter-part, the Five. The five is not nearly as afraid of unpleasant matters. Such sensitivities are played down. In fact, Fives have a tendency to be biting people with little concern over controversy. They are often cynics. It is certainly very different from the Nine, who sit on clouds and never rock boats (well... usually).

I would be more than happy to have suggestions for better names to give these traits, if any ever come to you. :)

can you guys explain what the variables are that you're talking about?

The variables Magic is referring to I believe are the ones that he earlier printed, and I just copied in small type, with the descriptions of the mouth and eyes.

Indeed, I was referring to the variables I elaborated in my post a few pages back.

the ones I use are "expressive" and "responsive" behavior, which both can be low, moderate or high. These scales measure stuff like extroversion/introversion or directing/informing. We're discussing how to measure the Enneagtram types by the respective scales. My framework thus gives possible correlations between MBTI and Enneagram. Magic's, I'm not sure, as I don't understand those facets yet, or if he maps them to the 16 types.

I will concede that my system was designed for no such correlation with the MBTI, and is not likely to work well for one(though any attempt to correlate the two is hampered by the conflict of odds and evens). I was trying to dissect the Eneagram in its own right. In terms of looking to another system, I was inspired by the Instinctual Variants, and set out to boil down the qualities of the core Enneagram types in a similar manner. In doing so, I intended to also demonstrate that the Instincts were not an awkward add-on to the Enneagram, but actually a perfectly natural fit.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I studied Enneagram a little bit.
I think 3w4 makes the most sense.
I'm not sure whether I'm an sp/so or so/sp.. the Sexual Three description seems so foreign to me while I can strongly relate to the SP & SO ones.

If I happened to be a 5 (which is a possibility) I would definitely be so/sx.

Can ENTP's be 5's- if they were profoundly interested in knowledge as long as so and sx were dominant?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can ENTP's be 5's- if they were profoundly interested in knowledge as long as so and sx were dominant?

It's always possible. However, Fives are usually so introverted that it would be a little suprising. Maybe if you were weak on the E.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
It's always possible. However, Fives are usually so introverted that it would be a little suprising. Maybe if you were weak on the E.

I went on the Enneagram Institute discussion board some time ago.
The consensus seemed to be that I am a 5w6, if I am, I would definitely be social/sexual.

Last edited:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I wonder what my enneagram type is?

5 and 8 have always been suggested.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's a wing?

I believe it is explained in one of the links I put up, but I can give you a quick explanation.

In the traditional system, a wing is a sort of secondary type that colors your primary type. The wing is always one of the two numbers "adjacent" to the number of your primary type. So, for example, let's say you were a 3. The two numbers next to that are 2 and 4. So those are the two types that could be your wing. The one that is the wing is whichever of the two scores higher on a test, basically. So, if you were a 3, depending on how you scored, you could be a 3w2 or a 3w4. While they both fit qualities of a 3, they are slightly different from each other, in ways that are more like they other type that serves as their wing. So the 3w2 would be more supportive and interested in social harmony than the 3w4, while the 3w4 would be more independent and aesthetically minded than the 3w2. You follow?

For the record, I personally think the whole traditional wing concept is a load of horse feathers. That is one of the reasons why I worked on the alternative version that I linked to in the ISFJ enneagram thread.

Magic Periferan -- analyze mine...I don't get it!

Here's what I've got from what you posted in the ISFJ thread.
Your test score would make you a 1w2 in the traditional system. You can get some information on what that means in these links:
one with two wing
http://www.thechangeworks.com/ennprimer/fineenn9styls1.html#anchor101902
Lifexplore - Personality, Myers-Briggs, Enneagram, Tests, Type Descriptions, More

And I advise that you ignore what that particular test said about your variant. It's terrible at assigning those, because it goes about it all wrong.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I just went through and read your other threads on your personal analysis and stacking and enneagram types - very impressive.

Thanks for your help -- so sweet!!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just went through and read your other threads on your personal analysis and stacking and enneagram types - very impressive.

Thanks for your help -- so sweet!!

Thank you. No problem. :)