• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] The big ol' bowl of Enneagram

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Magic,

So we meet at last. Whatever recommended consulting you. Below are the scores i received from the long eclectic energies test. Although it indicates that i'm an 8w7 i think i'm more of a 7, but not sure of my wing. Please help.

Wing 8w7 - 12
Wing 8w9 - 11.7
Wing 7w8 - 11.4
Wing 9w8 - 10.9
Wing 3w2 - 9.1
Wing 2w3 - 8.1
Wing 9w1 - 7.7
Wing 7w6 - 7.6
Wing 3w4 - 7.2
Wing 2w1 - 5.7

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Magic,

So we meet at last. Whatever recommended consulting you. Below are the scores i received from the long eclectic energies test. Although it indicates that i'm an 8w7 i think i'm more of a 7, but not sure of my wing. Please help.

Wing 8w7 - 12
Wing 8w9 - 11.7
Wing 7w8 - 11.4
Wing 9w8 - 10.9
Wing 3w2 - 9.1
Wing 2w3 - 8.1
Wing 9w1 - 7.7
Wing 7w6 - 7.6
Wing 3w4 - 7.2
Wing 2w1 - 5.7

Well, I need some feedback, Dave. What are the prime causes of confusion about your type?
Of the possibilities, you could be 7/6, 7/8, 8/7, or 8/9.
What makes it hard for you to pick?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Well, I need some feedback, Dave. What are the prime causes of confusion about your type?
Of the possibilities, you could be 7/6, 7/8, 8/7, or 8/9.
What makes it hard for you to pick?

Good question.

I should preface this by telling you that my understanding of all things related to personality types is weak, at best.

Although i'm assertive and hate being controlled like an 8, i live for visceral experiences and adventure like a 7. And, to confuse things i definitely relate to the type 9's desire for harmony.

Also, (i don't quite understand stress points) when angry my inclenation would be to attack the source of my anger. The idea of turning inward and hurting myself is unthinkable.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good question.

I should preface this by telling you that my understanding of all things related to personality types is weak, at best.

Okay.

Although i'm assertive and hate being controlled like an 8, i live for visceral experiences and adventure like a 7. And, to confuse things i definitely relate to the type 9's desire for harmony.

Many Eights live for visceral experiences and adventure, that does not necessarily define Seven alone. Like-wise, Sevens don't want to be controlled. The more important question is *do you want to control?*.

And here's a question:
Given the choice, If you could run away and avoid trouble at the expense of your esteem, or stand and put-up an unnecessary fight for the sake of your pride, what would you do?

Also, (i don't quite understand stress points) when angry my inclenation would be to attack the source of my anger. The idea of turning inward and hurting myself is unthinkable.

That's alright, you don't have to for the time. :)

EDIT: A few pages back, there is a post contrasting Sevens, Eights, and Nines.
you might want to read that.

Last edited:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Both tough questions.

No, i definitely don't want to control, i'd much rather be left alone.

To answer your second question, it depends on the risk. If it were a life and death situation where a loved one or i could get killed if i stayed then i would go. Otherwise i would definitely stay and fight.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Two new pages added to the main list.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dissection of the Enneagram

It's certainly been a while since I've posted anything here, but I have spent some fair amount of time scrutinizing the finer details of how the Enneagram really works, and this seems like the most logical place to post my findings.

----------------

I began this train of thought on the notion that the Nine "distinct" types of the Enneagram were obviously combinations of smaller variables, and that in sense, each type was not as truly unique as most of the Enneagram sources like to say.

The fact is, anything in the universe can be cut down to dichotomies. Anything. However, converting an odd set of catagories into an even set of catagories is a real head-ache, so I didn't go so far as to boil the Enneagram down into a binary system. I got close, though.

I concluded that each of the nine Enneagram types can be defined in terms of two variables which each have three values (so two trichotomies).

One trichotomy seems to regard a type's preference of initiative. The level and manner of action a type will take while navigating life scenarios.

The three values of this trichotomy can be defined as:

Active/Aggressive: Types that like to take initiative, act pre-emptively and/or unilaterally, and advance on things of interest. Types with this preference are generally incorrigible and have a disdain for positions that feel like anything less than leadership. Will not be likely to commit to obligations unless they are in control or seeking control.
The types that have this preference are: Threes, Sevens, and Eights.

Reactive/Supportive: Types that prefer to act only in reaction to or cooperation with other actions. These are types that are prone to watch and weight, and manage situations as they come. While types with this preference can be exceptional as assistants and subordinates, they also tend to have an unmovable stubborn streak regarding certain values, which can push them into leadership positions.
The types that have this preference are: Ones, Twos, and Sixes.

Passive/Evasive: These types generally neither take initiative nor pose the support or opposition. Types with this preference tend to let life set the pace for them, somehwhat like the supportive types, but these types are much more likely to avoid or accept circumstances than to manage or challenge them. Possibly the most independant of power structures, but not necessarily rebellious to them.
The types that have this preference are: Fours, Fives. and Nines.

The other trichotomy seems to correlate with emotional patterns, especially regarding the way one manages emotions.

The three values of this trichotomy can be defined as:

Temperamental: This refers to the tendency to be emotionally sensitive and volatiel. A temperamental type is one that let's emotions flare in and ubridled manner, and puts little effort into emotional control. Temperamental types have a particular propensity toward expressing dark or negative emotions more than positive ones.
The types that have this preference are: Fours, Sixes, and Eights.

Projective: This refers to the tendency to be emotionally self-managing in a way that aims to project certain emotions, hence the chosen name. Types with this preference will selectively concentrate on certain feelings, not surprisingly with a bias toward positive feelings. These types tend to be wary of dwelling on or dealing with negative emotions, and are especially afraid to reveal their own.
The types that have this preference are: Twos, Sevens, and Nines.

Detached: This refers to the tendency of suppressing or detaching oneself from emotional impulses of most any sort. These types seek more self-control and clarity of thought be subduing their own emotions. They may reveal anger and amusement more often than others, but are especially afraid of vulnerable or needful emotions. Tend to be awkward in dealing with the feelings of others.
The types that have this preference are: Ones, Threes, and Fives.

Keep in mind that all of the terms used for these values are subject to change. They are simple the best things I could think of at the time.

So, for the full breakdown:
Active/Aggressive + Temperamental = Eight
Active/Aggressive + Projective = Seven
Active/Aggressive + Detached = Three
Reactive/Supportive + Temperamental = Six
Reactive/Supportive + Projective = Two
Reactive/Supportive + Detached = One
Passive/Evasive + Temperamental = Four
Passive/Evasive + Projective = Nine
Passive/Evasive + Detached = Five

Some interesting conclusions can be drawn from this. For one thing, it shows that these variables operate in a way very similar to the Instinctual Variant systems. These can also be broken down into three value "stacks". So while someone may be primarily Temperamental, they may also be nearly just as Projective, and only slightly Detached. Like the instinct systme, there may be a profound difference between people who have different values in second and third place, even if they have the same first place value. This would certainly explain a lot of things. While Fours are supposed to be Passive/Evasive, it is clear that some have more of a bent toward being Active/Aggressive while others have more of a bent toward being Reactive/Supportive.

This also shows that the Instincual variants are not an odd fringe addition to the Enneagram, but actually a perfect match with the rest of the system. The two trichotomies I detailed effectively define how someone feels and what someone does about it. The instincts define what a person cares about.

If we treated the first two trichotomies as stack, added on the instincts, and then counted every possible stacking, then you could say there are 216 possible types. That's a rather handy level of specification. I prefer the nuance.

The other important thing this breakdown reveals is that there is no rational basis for the placement of numbers in the Enneagram. The One could just have logicall been called the Seven. There is no reason for their order.
Confirming this severely casts doubt on the wing system. Since there is no logical pattern to the order of the types, there is no reason to assume that a type could only have wing of the adjacent number.

As another interesting little note, every type has four types which share a value with it, and four other types that share no values with it. A type can obviously only share both values with itself.

Pardon all of the typos that may be present. Have a nice day. :)

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Very interesting, Poriferan, especially since I find the Enneagram a more appropriate and accurate instrument than MBTI.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Magic -

I've taken a smattering of Enneagram tests and always seem to conclude as a 5w8.

I was speaking with some other folks who stated that, as 8 wasn't a potential analogue to 5, I should consider focusing on my tertiary 6 instead.

Can you provide some insight?

redacted

they have some good profiles on the enneagraminstitute site:

also check out:

also, 5 and 8 are connected -- 8 is the healthy arrow from 5.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Magic -

I've taken a smattering of Enneagram tests and always seem to conclude as a 5w8.

I was speaking with some other folks who stated that, as 8 wasn't a potential analogue to 5, I should consider focusing on my tertiary 6 instead.

Can you provide some insight?

I feel that we have to completely re-think these conventions. I no longer feel that there is any reason to doubt the validity of a so-called 5w8. Your primary behavior is to be passive/evasive, but next to that , you prefer Active/Aggressive. Similarly, your primary value of feeling is to be Detached, but that secondarily gives way to being Temperamental.

So, 5, then 8. That's my assumption anyway. This can't be known for sure until a test was designed uniquely for this theory. My over all point is that you shouldn't feel restricted to focusing on Six or Four. I'm currently working out some theories regarding relations to auxilliary type and supporting type models, but their still in the oven, I'm afraid.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Ah - thank you, dissonance.

These are very helpful links.

I feel that we have to completely re-think these conventions. I no longer feel that there is any reason to doubt the validity of a so-called 5w8. Your primary behavior is to be passive/evasive, but next to that , you prefer Active/Aggressive. Similarly, your primary value of feeling is to be Detached, but that secondarily gives way to being Temperamental.

So, 5, then 8. That's my assumption anyway. This can't be known for sure until a test was designed uniquely for this theory. My over all point is that you shouldn't feel restricted to focusing on Six or Four. I'm currently working out some theories regarding relations to auxilliary type and supporting type models, but their still in the oven, I'm afraid.

Thank you, Magic.

My hesitation to simply accept 6 over 8 was to preserve accuracy - a point well defined in your post.

The 5w8 is significantly closer to my approximate behavior than the 5w6; 5w3 (my next closest scores...).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 5 = 12
Type 2 = 5
Type 4 = 3
Type 9 = 3
Type 3 = 2
Type 6 = -4
Type 7 = -4
Type 8 = -4
Type 1 = -13

Type
5 80%
9 70%
4 68%
2 65%
6 65%
7 55%
8 58%
1 50%
3 50%

type score type behavior motivation
2 56 I must be helpful and caring to be happy.
5 55 I must be knowledgeable and independent to be happy.
6 55 I must be secure and safe to be happy.

1 48 I must be perfect and good to be happy.
4 44 I must avoid painful feelings to be happy.
9 43 I must be peaceful and easy to get along with to be happy.
3 38 I must be impressive and attractive to be happy.
8 19 I must be strong and in control to be happy.
7 17 I must be high and entertained to be happy.

These are the last three Enneagram tests i've taken. Five comes out more consistently than nine. I will tend to dismiss the anxiety type 6 to some extent because I'm aware of how environmental factors influenced me in that regard and tend to be pretty level-headed about danger in that context. I think the type 2 is also environmental as i had more duties and concerns than a child would ideally. The description of 9 doesn't really fit either. I wonder if I am a five. The description of four might fit the best, but it isn't reflected in my scores. hmmm

edit: After reading the descriptions at the site, I think 5w4 is about right.
enneagram said:
Four wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them.

When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliché of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing.

Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

or maybe a 4w5
enneagram said:
Four With a 5 Wing
Healthy side of this wing brings a withdrawn, complex creativity. May be somewhat intellectual but have exceptional depth of feeling and insight. Very much their own person, original and idiosyncratic. Have a spiritual and aesthetic openness. Will find multiple levels of meaning to most events. May have a strong need and ability to pour themselves into artistic creations. Loners; can seem enigmatic and hard to read. Externally reserved and internally resonant. When they open up it can be sudden and total.

When entranced or defensive, Fours with a 5 wing can easily feel alienated and depressed. Many have a sense of not belonging, of being from another planet. Can get lost in their own process, drown in their own ocean. Whiny - tend to ruminate and relive past experience. Prone to the emotion of shame. Air of sullen, withdrawn disappointment. May live within a private mythology of pain and loss. Can get deeply morbid and fall in love with death.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I pretty much totally renounce the wing theory at this point.

I really have to get cracking on the development of my own type relational theories.

Maybe I should even write a test. Unfortunately, the test would require some dynamics that aren't available with most free test designers.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Enneagram is very similar to the FIRO-based five temperament theory my avatar is based on.

The "Directional Theory of the Enneagram" (Thomas Chou, Enneagram Monthly Jan. 2000) attempted to turn Karen Horney's scale into a 2D matrix, (http://www.9types.com/writeup/Theory20.htm) but retained the "towards/away/against" points (changed into that order) and designated, respectively "Embracing" (Self is changed by others), "Withdrawal" (self is separate from others) and "Confrontation" (self changes others). This becomes "surface direction" (short term motivation), while the new dimension of "deep direction" (long term motivation), the scales are "Approval-seeking", "Ideal Seeking" and "Power-seeking". This roughly corresponds to Expressive (i.e. intro/extraversion) and Responsiveness (loosely, T/F and J/P). In both scales, "Towards" is considered "+", "Away" is "0", and "Against" is "-". This differs from the E/R scale, which is based on + "high"/ 0 "moderate"/ - "low". Therefore, the 9 types, which can easily be matched to the five temperaments, plus four moderate blends, come out in a totally different order, with slightly different criteria for categorizing their behavior.
But to measure them in terms of high/mod/low Expressiveness and responsiveness:

The Pure temperaments:
Type 5 Observer, Thinker, Investigator Insightful, theoretical, detached, eccentric, intense. They can be extremely brilliant and inventive, but also nihilistic and alienated:
Purely Introverted and Directive (Low E and R): Melancholy

Type 6 Loyalist, (Loyal Skeptic) Devil's Advocate, Defender - Loyal, skeptical, complex, paranoid, dependable. They can be excellent team players but get lost in scapegoating and fear:
basically introverted (low E), but an apparent need of acceptance (High R) Supine
(the fifth temperament; sort of a passive Sanguine, In FIRO, it would be an "inhibited individual", "loyal lieutenant" or "cautious lover").

Type 7 Enthusiast, Adventurer, Materialist, Epicure Enthusiastic, worldly, optimistic, scattered, accomplished. They can truly love life like no one else, but can fall victim to hedonism and excess:
extraverted, People-oriented (high E, R) Sanguine

Type 8 Leader, Protector, Challenger, Boss Powerful, leading, aggressive, cruel, protective. They can be magnanimous leaders who get the job done, but can become violent and terrorizing:
extraverted, task-oriented (high E, low R) Choleric

Type 9 Mediator, Peacemaker, Preservationist Peaceful, receptive, complacent, forgetting, gentle. They can be relaxed and terrific friends, but can become unaware of reality and problems:
moderate in both scales (considered "introverted" when compared to 3, 7 and 8, but not as introverted as 4 and 5): Phlegmatic

Moderate temperaments

Type 1 (Reformer, Critic, Perfectionist Perfectionistic, orderly, hard-working, ethical, conscientious). They can be very rational and idealistic, but can also be judgmental and convinced they are always right:
purely "directive" or "task-oriented" (low responsiveness) like a Melancholy or Choleric; moderate expressiveness (i.e. ambiversion): between Melancholy and Choleric

Type 2 Helper, Giver, Caretaker Generous, friendly, prideful, seductive, reassuring. They can be very loving and dedicated, but also possessive and manipulative:
purely "informative" or "relationship-oriented" (high R) also moderate expressiveness: between Supine and Sanguine

Type 3 Motivator, Achiever, Performer, Succeeder Ambitious, goal-oriented, adaptable, deceiving, presentable. They can be exemplars of "all you can be", but also shallow and arrogant:
purely extraverted (High expressiveness); moderate R (ambiguous people/task orientation): between Sanguine and Choleric.

Type 4 Romantic, Individualist, Artist Creative, depressive, romantic, shy, unique. They can be profound artists who express the inexpressible, but also self-hating and clinging:
purely introverted, also ambiguous people/task-orientation (mod. R) between Supine and Melancholy

You can see videos of each type at http://www.enneagramworldwide.com/explore-the-enneagram/videos-of-the-nine-types and also a helpful "dinner table" illustration at http://www.wagele.com/DinPart.html. The best set of descriptions, which also seem to greatly support my correlations are at Enneagram Introduction, Theory, and Research at 9types.com

Enneagram's "Instinctual variants" are a direct match for FIRO's three areas: social=Inclusion, self preservation=Control, sexual=deep personal. The problem is, and why I think people are having problems with the wings and the different scores, is that they do not stack the different types. They only stack the same type, but place so, sp and sx in different orders. In FIRO-based theories, the three areas have their own scores, so you can mix any temperament or behavior pattern. I have put off taking an Enneagram test, but I may try one of those sometime. For now, I would say that I was 6so8sp6sx. But since you can't do that, my behavior will probably be covered by a 6w5 or 4w3.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The ordering -- roughly according to a grid -- is appreciated, Eric. Attributing ambiversion to Type One not only lvalidates my own qualified extraversion but distinguishes Type One from Type Eight.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've seen that theory before... My avatar use to be nine smileys, positioned in a way very similar to yours, Eric. I originally made the picture as a test to see which face people would assign each Enneagram type to. :laugh:

And if I understood you correctly, you were calling for each variable to be scored in a stack as was I. Interesting.

Also, I too observed independently that one aspect of the Enneagram was akin to Horney's three styles. This was the foundation for my Aggressive, Supportive, Evasive trichotomy. Don't that beat all?

However, I don't think any adjustment really salvages the wing system, because what I have uncovered is that the wing system has a totally illogical basis. It's more aesthetic than practical.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really want to see that avatar! Do you still have it saved on your system, or could it still be on the site somewhere? Here's another representation with the faces on an enneagram (as well as the type numbers mapped to the same matrix used in my avatar): http://members.aol.com/etb700/enneagram.jpg

In my system, a "wing" might be more like an area of the temperament near the boundary of the next temperament. (remember, it's graduated with the scores running from 0 to 9). The problem in Enneagram is, wings are the only blending of types recognized, and they are only allowed between consecutive numbers. So 1 would appear to be next to 8 (and 5), instead of 9 being next to 8. If they allowed stacking of different types along the variants, you probably wouldn't need wings, and it would explain a lot of these anomalies to people.

Which "theory" had you heard of before? FIRO itself, or the temperament system based on it?
I've just sent a couple of interested people an essay articulating my correlation between systems, and I was going to send it to you too, but I don't see your e-mail. Before, I had just been linking to my pages, but those are much longer and more drawn out.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My avatar was slightly modified from anything on a site.
It was customized.

And here it is in a form too large for an avatar:
View attachment 1840

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My avatar was slightly modified from anything on a site.
It was customized.

And here it is in a form too large for an avatar:
View attachment 1840

Thanks!!!
Whoah! Now those look too close to mine for comfort!
You said "slightly modified from anything on a site", "customized". I don't get that. Do you mean they were not copied from anywhere, but were customized by being made from scratch instead? Or that they were copied, and then "customized" by being slightly modified (i.e. colored in)?

I got from mine from another Wikipedian, who created four of them for the "Four Temperaments" article. They matched pictures of carved masks representing the temperaments. The shy looking one (in the upper left) was Phlegmatic. The person released them to the public under the Wiki GNU license. So I copied them, and I have seen other sites copy some of them, and if you copied them, it is OK.
So I took them for both my Five Temperament article, as well as my sites, and redesignated the shy looking one as the fifth temperament, and created the one with the straight mouth and eyes as the true Phlegmatic. I also created the "inbetween" ones with either the eyes OR mouth straight (but not both), which represent what we call the "Phlegmatic Blends". These lie between the five main temperaments.
This was all done about 3 years ago.

Here's an excerpt from my site where I explain how to read the faces:

While these masks and faces were drawn to mimick the stereotypical "expressions" associated with each temperament (sad, angry, etc); unwittingly however, the combination of "withdrawn" (sad looking) or "outgoing" (angry looking) eyes and a frowning or smiling mouth turned out to correspond to the "expressive" and "responsive" behavior of the two-factor models, including five temperament theory! Eyes represent expressed behavior, and the mouth represents responsive behavior.

So the sad eyes plus a frowning mouth ´`-( make a sad looking face for the Melancholy. LaHaye's "Martin Melancholy" character also looked like an uptight kind of person.

Angry eyes plus the frowning mouth `´-( makes an angry looking face for the Choleric. LaHaye's "Rocky Choleric" character fits this disposition.

Then "angry" eyes plus the smiling mouth `´-) make a "mischievous" looking face, for the playful and sometimes badly-behaved-for-attention Sanguine. LaHaye's "Sparky Sanguine" looked jolly and pepped up.

However, the sad eyes plus the smiling mouth ´`-) makes a "shy", "bashful" or "humble", and perhaps "eager" looking face. This does NOT match LaHaye's "Phil Phlegmatic", who looked cool and emotionless. However, the smilie does fit perfectly the profile of the Supine, who is a shy but eager temperament.
So for the Phlegmatic, I created an additional smilie to replace the "shy but eager" one. The new one simply has plain, straight eyes and mouth, ¦-| creating, well, a neutral, indifferent look: just like "Phil Phlegmatic".

The blends are:
¦-(
Phlegmatic Melancholy (express as a Phlegmatic; respond as a Melancholy)
Phlegmatic Choleric (express as a Phlegmatic; respond as a Choleric)
¦-)
Phlegmatic Sanguine (express as a Phlegmatic; respond as a Sanguine)
Phlegmatic Supine (express as a Phlegmatic; respond as a Supine)
`´-|
Choleric Phlegmatic (express as a Choleric; respond as a Phlegmatic)
Sanguine Phlegmatic (express as a Sanguine; respond as a Phlegmatic)
´`-|
Supine Phlegmatic (express as a Supine; respond as a Phlegmatic)
Melancholy Phlegmatic (express as a Melancholy; respond as a Phlegmatic)

Those pairs are what I divide up as types 1-4, respectively.

So what order of Enneagram types does your image follow? What is what on there? (I know it can't simply be in numerical order, because the happy-but-shy one in the upper left can't be #1. That table is just like mine, but flipped diagonally.