User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Do you know of any other place that elaborates more on wings? I know that I am a 5 sp/sx, but I am having trouble in determining whether I am a w4 or w6, even after reading both descriptions.

What would you suggest to resolve this?

What are the most fundamental differences between a 5w4 and a 5w6? What is the most significant thing that distinguishes one from the other?
    Maybe this will help?

Fives with a Four wing tend to be somewhat more emotionally centered than those with a Six wing and also tend to be more drawn to the arts and humanities. This is hardly a rigid rule however. Fives with a Four wing tend to be attuned to meaning and metaphor as much as to fact and function. Fives with a Six wing are often systematic thinkers who are drawn to more analytic disciplines than those with a Four wing. And they generally have an extra layer of detachment to their personality as compared to those with a Four wing. They are also more likely to be able to work within a system or to find a place for themselves in the world of business, academia and law than are the more impractical Four wingers.
    Fives - the enneagram ...info from the underground

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Do you know of any other place that elaborates more on wings? I know that I am a 5 sp/sx, but I am having trouble in determining whether I am a w4 or w6, even after reading both descriptions.

What would you suggest to resolve this?

What are the most fundamental differences between a 5w4 and a 5w6? What is the most significant thing that distinguishes one from the other?

The best I can say is that 5/4 is really a lot more Ni as oppose to the 5/6 being a lot more Ti.

What always stands-out to me is how much more pragmatic 5/6s are than 5/4s. I'm partly going on experience here, but I have two family members, whom are 5/4 and 5/6. So I've had plenty of time to compare.
    5/6s are skeptical, cost-analysis kind of people. 5/4s are much more free flowing.

Errmmm... Sorry for my lack of professional jargon.

I can only suggest more self-examination.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Hah!
    I completely forgot about that page, and I even have it bookmarked.

The only thing I don't like about it is the rather third-party nature of it.
    I have doubts about them.

Still, I'll add them.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I've always been skeptical of correlations between the MBTI and the Enneagram because most don't even mention the relation between INFPs and type two. I know several INFPs who are twos on INFPg, and I'm a dead match for it.

I relate a lot more with the 2w3 description than the 2w1.

Merkw, if you're really interested in in-depth descriptions of all the types and their wings, I'd recommend Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery by Don Riso and Russ Hudson. It was about sixteen dollars at Barnes and Noble, if I remember correctly. It's a tomb of a book with lots of valuable information. More importantly, they describe both wings for each type in a fair amount of depth. If you weedle me a bit, I might be flattered into typing out a few of the core differences between your type's two wings. Off the top of my head, I remember reading that fives with a four wing were more emotional and more drawn to art, whereas fives with a six wing were more scientific and more endearing socially? I can't quite remember, but that's vaguely what I recall. Magic said that 5w4s are more Ni and 5w6s are more Ti, and I'd agree with that, inasmuch as Ni is creative and Ti is scientific.

Well, so far we have two things in common, Magic. Absolute purity, and a love and admiration for the enneagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The best I can say is that 5/4 is really a lot more Ni as oppose to the 5/6 being a lot more Ti.

What always stands-out to me is how much more pragmatic 5/6s are than 5/4s. I'm partly going on experience here, but I have two family members, whom are 5/4 and 5/6. So I've had plenty of time to compare.
    5/6s are skeptical, cost-analysis kind of people. 5/4s are much more free flowing.

Errmmm... Sorry for my lack of professional jargon.

I can only suggest more self-examination.
    So an INTP would more likely be a 5w6 than a 5w4? Regardless, according to analysis of my cognitive functions, I use Ni as proficiently as I use Ti and Ne. I suppose that would make 5w4 as likely.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    I've always been skeptical of correlations between the MBTI and the Enneagram because most don't even mention the relation between INFPs and type two. I know several INFPs who are twos on INFPg, and I'm a dead match for it.

I relate a lot more with the 2w3 description than the 2w1.
    Well, at least one spot suggests a link between Two and INFP. But yeah, one isn't a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Merkw, if you're really interested in in-depth descriptions of all the types and their wings, I'd recommend Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery by Don Riso and Russ Hudson. It was about sixteen dollars at Barnes and Noble, if I remember correctly. It's a tomb of a book with lots of valuable information. More importantly, they describe both wings for each type in a fair amount of depth. If you weedle me a bit, I might be flattered into typing out a few of the core differences between your type's two wings. Off the top of my head, I remember reading that fives with a four wing were more emotional and more drawn to art, whereas fives with a six wing were more endearingly socially awkward? I can't quite remember, but that's vaguely what I recall.
    Of course books are always better than this stuff, but they cost money and take up space.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

yeah i'm having problems with the wing system as well. i'm definitely a 2, but i relate a lot to the 1 wing and the 3 wing. is it possible to have both?

oh and i'm def. sx/sp

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    yeah i'm having problems with the wing system as well. i'm definitely a 2, but i relate a lot to the 1 wing and the 3 wing. is it possible to have both?
    Actually, yes.
    However, it's considered an uncommon occurance, and as such, receives virtually no commentary.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Actually, yes.
    However, it's considered an uncommon occurance, and as such, receives virtually no commentary.
    seems like the 3 wing coincides with Fe and the 1 wing coincides with Ni (or maybe Te)...does that make sense?

basically i'm obsessed with the way people perceive me (3) and i'm also obsessed with being perfect at everything i choose to do (which is why it's hard to choose to do things, heh).

i've gone back and forth between calling myself a 2w1 and a 2w3 for months and months....so yeah, i guess i'll just call myself a 2w(1,3) now

If you like to seem very put-together and desirable, you're probably a two with a three wing. If you invest a lot in your self-image rather than in your principles, I'd go with a three wing. Twos with a one wing seem overall more concerned with their principles and their virtues than twos with a three wing. Twos with a three wing probably want to seem like the total "package" to others more than twos with a one wing. They're more prideful and more vain.

I have a couple questions. Did you ever find yourself feeling fiercely competitive with other people in certain regards, such as art, writing, intellect, grades, etc? Is your greatest fear being humiliated?