• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Questions about Enneagram

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Sorry for being a noob, but I'm pretty new to enneagram and have a few questions. I know we have some smart enneagram enthusiasts here, and I'd be interested in their answers to three mostly unrelated questions.

1] What the hell should I call the triads?

I've seen head/heart/gut, fear/shame/rage, instinctive/feeling/thinking, instinctive/image/mental, and probably others. Is there a rhyme or reason here? Is there just not a consensus on what to call the same thing?

2] Is there a thread or site that identifies common links between MBTI type and enneagram type?

Even if it's not totally accurate, just a general idea. You know, INTJ tends to be x, ESFP tends to be y, etc. I feel like I've seen something like that before, but I'm not sure where.

3] Is there a conventional mechanism for identifying secondary preferences?

With or without testing, it is obvious to me that I have strong characteristics of 1, 5, and 6. I don't think there's any question I'm 5w6 or 6w5, but it feels like leaving something out not to mention that I have elements of a 1w2. It's not a small aspect of my personality. Is there a standard way of identifying that?

Thanks.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry for being a noob, but I'm pretty new to enneagram and have a few questions. I know we have some smart enneagram enthusiasts here, and I'd be interested in their answers to three mostly unrelated questions.

I've seen head/heart/gut, fear/shame/rage, instinctive/feeling/thinking, instinctive/image/mental, and probably others. Is there a rhyme or reason here? Is there just not a consensus on what to call the same thing?

2] Is there a thread or site that identifies common links between MBTI type and enneagram type?

Even if it's not totally accurate, just a general idea. You know, INTJ tends to be x, ESFP tends to be y, etc. I feel like I've seen something like that before, but I'm not sure where.

With or without testing, it is obvious to me that I have strong characteristics of 1, 5, and 6. I don't think there's any question I'm 5w6 or 6w5, but it feels like leaving something out not to mention that I have elements of a 1w2. It's not a small aspect of my personality. Is there a standard way of identifying that?

Thanks.

1. I find that the first two sets relate quite well to each other, the head types feel fear/anxiety because they think too much etc.

2. just google it, any links you find will only be approximate. I remember coming across a great one with little squares and different experts opinions all over the place, donno if I could link it though. Generally, the conversions link logically as much as statistically, so you barely need someone to tell you which types are related.

3. you mean wings right? google them. There's always a pretty decent forum that describes the differences between adjacent wings for any type, so if you know your main type, you can then examine both wings. Wings are just arbitrary, it's just that enneagram has made them the standard. Check out the Trifix if you want (google! :alttongue:)

add: don't actively think about your E type much, it's a pointless excersise. If you want to figure it all out sooner, just read some profiles and descriptions. Eventually it will come to you, and it wont be long.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

There are a few sites that show common combinations, try this one

Thanks.

If you're not sure about 1 or 5 this site may help.

Ones are often intelligent, independent and emotionally detached and can easily mistype themselves, or be mistyped by others, as examples of Enneatype Five, but however intelligent they are, Ones are primarily people of action, not thought, and they are far more comfortable adopting a leadership role than is the more withdrawn and reclusive Five. Even the most intellectual of type Ones - consider Plato in this regard - want to leave a tangible mark. Plato created the academy which survived for the better part of a millennium.

Fives and Ones are easy to mistype as both are focused on competency and tend to detach from emotions under stress. Ones, however, are much more focused on action and are generally more comfortable taking on leadership roles than are most Fives. Ones are also generally more judgmental of what they perceive to be rule violations or moral lapses than are Fives who tend to adopt more of a "live and let live" attitude when it comes to the petty vices. Fives tend to be conflict avoidant. Ones, not so much.

To work out wing this may help.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hmm. I think my OP may have been unclear. I'm not looking for help typing myself. Well, actually, I am a little bit, but that's a different thread. I do understand wings (I think), and it's apparent that I'm 5w6 or 6w5.

So I'm not a 1. But I'm confident that 1w2 is an important secondary aspect of my personality. It's inferior to 5 and 6, but it feels strange to omit it from my profile entirely. Lots of people on this site have percentages in their signatures, indicating that there's nuance beyond the four letters of their MBTI type. I'm wondering if enneagram has a mechanism like that.

And Trinity, thanks for the MBTI-enneagram link, that's the sort of thing I was looking for.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry, I'm not one to find specific sites and swear by them (clearly). There's always someone like trinity that does have all of these sites at their disposal, and I knew they'd be around shortly, so I didn't bother lol (funny thing was, that trin. posted them straight after my post :D).

Why do we need to tell people that there's a nuance behind our type? I'm sure most people already assume that there is a bit of deviance from the stereotypical profile, it's not like anyone here thinks: 'oh, it's one of them INFPs, I better be super sweet and fluffy'... hmmm, on the other hand, being specific isn't such a bad thing.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Thanks.

1. Head, Heart, Instinct
2. I made a post about that, and it's here- http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/1040256-post16.html
3. Trifix

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Trifix! I mean, if you want to specify your type to that level of detail..
Thanks. I guess I feel like just 6w5 is leaving something out. Is there a downside to more detail?

1. Head, Heart, Instinct
2. I made a post about that, and it's here- http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/1040256-post16.html
3. Trifix
Thanks on all counts, particularly the link.

Does Trifix invariably include all three triads? How does one handle wings in Trifix? As a practical example: would I be 6-5-1 or 6-1-2 or 6w5 > 1w2 > 4w5 or something ?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does Trifix invariably include all three triads? How does one handle wings in Trifix? As a practical example: would I be 6-5-1 or 6-1-2 or 6w5 > 1w2 > 4w5 or something ?

Yeah it has to include all Triads. Because everyone thinks in terms of Heart, Head, and Instinct; but some people have strengths and weaknesses in those areas.

Trifix theory isn't really complete though, keep in mind.

The other types are a lot less noticeable, and it's more internal. But you can still observe trifix, it's just difficult. My trifix (after having done more thinking on it and research) is 9w8>5w6>3w2. I'm sure you can observe the 5 traits showing through with me, but it's not my main motivation. It's more of a behind the scenes thing.

The other types in your trifix besides the main one aren't as noticeable, they're generally mild. But it does make a difference.