• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter types

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stalker with a crush is he.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
What do you think he is? The arguments I saw earlier were for 8w7, and he's hardly enthusiastic.

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
Hi!

Glad you like the names, I don't make up all of them but some of them I do.

I still see Harry as an 8. I believe in two wings, so therefore I assume he will have a 9 wing, and I think sometimes people have wings that are just as strong as their dominant type. I see Hermione as five. I also thought she could have been a 2 or a 1, but when I went and read the type descriptions I convinced myself she was a 5. I think she just tries so hard to prove she's competent and capable, plus she genuinely enjoys learning so much she practically falls out of her seat when she puts her hand up in class. She's always reading and researching, and at one point I think the book describes her as a walking encyclopaedia. I absolutely think that Hermione has 1 and 2 aspects but I see her dominant type as being 5.

I absolutely think Snape has a five wing, as he would have a 3 wing, but I definitely see him as a 4. I think he needs to feel that he is special, and he's definitely wallowing in pain, so unhealthy 4.

Wat? 0_0 no.. for everything.

Harry: 6w5 (or 9w8)
Hermione: 6w5 (clear as day. Her clinging to knowledge is a 6 thing, not a 5 thing)
Ron: 9w1

Voldemort: 8w7
Snape: 6w5
Dumbledore: 8w9 or 1w2
Hagrid: 2w1 (not sure about this)
Ginny: 6w7 or 9w?
Sirius: 6w5
Fred and George: 7w6
Lupin: 6w5
Cho Change: 9w1
Draco Malfoy: 6w7 (or perhaps 3w4)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think he is? The arguments I saw earlier were for 8w7, and he's hardly enthusiastic.
I think he's a 4w5. "Loyal" isn't quite the same as "creepy, clingy overdramatic stalker." Sixes, like Fives, move on from unrequited crushes eventually.

Nymma

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
I think he's a 4w5. "Loyal" isn't quite the same as "creepy, clingy overdramatic stalker." Sixes, like Fives, move on from unrequited crushes eventually.

Well, since Snape wasn't an obsessive stalker and since Type Fours doesn't equate creepy stalkers being, I fail to see the revelance of your point here. Still, I agree that he is a 4w5. He feels emotions very strongly, as Fours do, and there is some hint at wanting recognition(the order of merlin in book three), so that type would fit him. And he is obviously very ingenious and intellectual, so Five as a wing make sense.

Nymma

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
IMO:

Severus: 4w5

Minerva: 1w9

Hermione: 1w2

Ron: 6w7

James: some kind of unealthy 8w7. Same for Black.

Peter: 6w7

Dumbledore: 9w1

I can't think of others for now.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1w9: Hermione, McGonagle, Harry (too rule breaking to be 6, too conflict facing to be 9)
2w1: Mrs. Weasley, Ginny
3w4: Draco, Lucius, Gilderoy Lockheart, Dudley
4w5: Luna, Dumbledore, Trulaney
5w4: Snape, Xenophilias Lovegood
5w6: Mr. Weasley
6w5: Professor Quirelll
6w7: Ron
7w6: Fred and George
7w8: Serius
8w7: Madeye Moody

unsure:
Umbridge: 6w5 or 3w2
Voldemort: 3w4, 5w4 or 8w9
Slughorn: 3w4, 5w4, 5w6, 6w5 or 9w1
Tonks: 4w3 or 7w8

theplacesyoullgo

Bumping this up and looking to start this discussion again. I'll give a few of my guesses but I'm more than open to hearing other opinions; I think Enneagram typing book characters is much more difficult than MBTI typing them. Weirdly enough, I think Harry is probably one of the harder ones to Ennea-type (although I think he's an obvious ISFP).

Pretty sure on these:
Hermione: 1w2
Umbridge: 2w1
Draco: 3w4
Dumbledore: 5w?
Snape: 5w4 (the Lily revelation makes him have a very strong 4 wing or even potentially been a 4 the whole time - but I'd stick with 5 overall)
Ron and Bellatrix: 6w7 (Ron especially is the epitome of this type)
Sirius: 8w7 (far too confrontational and comfortable with open conflict to be a 7)
Lupin: 9w1 (such a 9!)

I'd tentatively put Harry as a 9w8; I think some of what's being interpreted as ANGER WITH ALL THE CAPS HE USES is more teenage angst than straight-up 8ish anger. But I'd love to hear more theories about him.

Voldy is too messed up to really type, I think. Riddle seemed stereotypically 5ish I suppose.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Nice!

I didn't read most of this thread, but I'll give it a shot without looking and then compare.

This is just my gut speaking, without any previous thought or deep consideration:

Harry: 6w5 OR 8w9 , on first impulse.
However, I just thought about this for a few minutes after writing the rest of the list and I'm going to go with 8w9. I don't see fear as a base for him. He's more impulsive than reactive when it comes to fear.

Hermione: 1w2, possibly 3 or 5 fixed. (Candidate for triple-competency? Or maybe 1-5-4?)
I can also see her as a 5w6. Thoughts?

Ron: 6w7.

Voldemort: Not sure - 8w7, 7w8 or 3w4. He's kind of a 1-dimensional character, but I guess "power hungry" describes it best. =/

Snape: 4w5, 5wX, 1w9.
I think one way or another he's definitely a 4w5 with a 5 fix. Not sure about his gut fix.

Dumbledore: 2w3?
I can see an argument for core 5, too.

The Weasley twins: 7s without a doubt! 748, perhaps?

Arthur Weasley: 5w6.

Bellatrix: 3w4 or 3w2, probably? ... could she be triple-id?

Ginny: Really hard to read, maybe 9w8, 2w1... no idea really. 4w3, maybe.

Viktor Krum: 8? I say this because of the "I'm a badass star but I'm vulnerable with my woman" mentality. But if anyone else has ideas on this I'd love to hear.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
You want me to explain or you want power or you want your emotions justified?

Cos baby, I can explain!

Here's just one explanation:

Warning: I know I know too much about the Harry Potter series.
You are entering the territory of a reformed Harry Potter nerd.
You have been warned.

Harry I see as 8. I used to think 5, but I am a five, and you know what, Harry is not dominant function 5, IMO. Think about how strong willed and pig headed he is. He's a natural leader when he has experience, status and support in his peer group. He needs respect real bad or he butts head. HE LOVES TO PROTECT PEOPLE. He uses his authority for good most of the time because he is a good leader, IE. Makes the world a safer place for others. He is not detached.

IN BOOK FIVE HE TALKS LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME. HE IS SO ANGRY. SO ANGRY. HE WILL CHALLENGE THAT UMBITCH, umm, Umbridge.

His one laughable attempt at detaching is when he tells Dumblydore at end of book five he wants out, and he does that in the middle of a full scale temper tantrum where he challenges Dumblys authority and throws his things at him.

Tell me again he's not an 8. Tell me again. Why do you not want him to be an 8?

Why does Harry react badly to his father's jerkiness? Because his father, while being an 8 like him, used his power for himself and not for others.

How many times does Harry show weakness in this series, seriously? He cries at the grave with Mione. He cries in front of Ron and Mrs Weasley end of book four. He will not show one inch of weakness to those who threaten him. Even when he likes puzzles he does not do much research. How much research did he do during the tournament? He kept procrastinating, then in one task Dobby had to do his research for him. Who does all the book research? Hermione! Why? Because she's a five! Sure, she has a strong 2 side, but what's her dominant function? What's she always doing when she's not arguing with Ronnikins? Reading! Always reading! She must know. She is so desperate to show that she knows. I know, she almost screams, love me, love me because I know! I deserve to be loved because I know! I have knowledge, my parents valued knowledge, knowledge helps me to feel safe in this new and overwhelming wizarding world. Harry unknowingly affirms this for her by using her knowledge to assist in his leadership and rebellion efforts. Sorry to be getting off track there, but to get back to Harry, what does he do when he can't accept a leader? Either rebels in spirit or rebels in secret, or just outright rebels. Dumbledore's Army? Rebellion against Umbridge. Telling Professor Snapikins not to call him sir? Rebellion against Snape's authority. Throwing stuff at the headmaster? Rebellion against a once trusted authority under difficult circumstances.

How much does Harry know really? To call him a five is laughable. Sure, I see where people get that idea from, he loves mysteries, he loves puzzles, they keep him alive and he's a natural born snoop who's been encouraged by Master Manipulator Dumbleforce, so he'd better love it!

Harry hardly does any reading unless he has to, is searching for clues or is wub with Half Blood Prince. He wants a father figure and his last one just carked it, Dumbles is too distant and old to fill in properly, here he is attaching to Snape without even knowing it! Then he finds out that the slashing spell was his favourite guy's advice, now he can't trust him anymore! He was looking to this idealised stranger to lead him, who can lead him now?

I am happy to hear your opinions on this. I won't take kindly if you try to say I have no point though. Sounds like an emotional reaction to me.

Maybe best not to get me started. I put a lot of thought into these types and will defend them like mad. That's my emotional reaction. Besides, can you really argue against the crazy sort who read and wrote fanfiction in this universe? I'd love it if anyone tried!

I just wrote up my assessment on impulse, and I thought, right away, 6w5 or 8w9. But once I thought about it for a few minutes 8w9 made perfect sense. All the stuff you wrote here makes sense. Especially what you said about his father, and how he was disgusted by his father's revenge tactics and cruelty, and didn't want to see it in himself. That is *very* telling, and something I can relate to as an 8w9.

I read all the books and watched all the movies a lot, and every time there's a scene with Harry's parents in the mirror or in a dream, I cry. I've hardly ever related to a character emotionally so much as I do with Harry Potter. So being that I'm an 8, quite possibly an 8w9, my Fe/Fi says that it makes sense for him to be an 8, too. But it's exactly those principles - his fearless "impulsivity" - his battle against his anger - his will to get revenge, but only when it feels justified in his gut. And the reaction against his father that you mention here, which is very well thought out.

As an 8, I had a similar experience with my father, though he's a 7w8. I saw that he has no control of his temper and as a kid, we'd fight like dogs, yelling back and forth, but as I got older, I taught myself emotional stonewalling and some control of my temper. It is the same thing you describe here, where someone would see something of himself in his father and act against it, to weed it out of his character, but all the while knowing the potential is still there.

Another thing worth noting is that Harry clearly has a strong line to 5 and 2. The line to 2 develops more later, and is very, very present when he's a kid (soul-child.) The line to 5 is strong and kicks in when he's stressed: he strategizes. Another pattern I can clearly relate to.

If *anyone* has the mentality of "the world is cruel, and I'm on my own; I have to fight my own battles, and not expect anything from anyone," it's Harry Potter. He has a hard time even accepting help from his friends. He sees the world as a cruel place in which it's a "dog eat dog" mentality and he has to look out for himself and protect those that he cares for. Even as a kid, he rescues Ginny just because she's innocent. He takes it upon himself to make his own justice, and doesn't need any rules or any approval to tell him what to do. He's "morally ambiguous" like an 8 in the sense that he has no regard for the rules and doesn't feel guilty about it. All that crosses his mind is whether or not he'll get caught, and even that doesn't cross his mind nearly enough.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I need to start prepare for work but I'll toss out my thoughts here:

Regarding Harry, he definitely falls on the 468 axis tritype. I actually find that A LOT of male teenage protagonists do this. I am not sure why but it's certainly a tendency. And the 4 and 8 fixations are often strong with CP6w7 for head. I think you're right that 8 for core is more likely than 6. That's why I like Harry more than Ron. Ron has the CP6 barking louder than you bite attitude. Harry bites because he knows he can deal with it.

I'd definitely say triple competency for Hermione but core 1w2. She's too frustration driven in my opinion and she has an overall too much of an uptight attitude. She has to score well on her tests to prove that she's good and to legitimize her Muggle side. I don't see a 5 ever caring for this.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I need to start prepare for work but I'll toss out my thoughts here:

Regarding Harry, he definitely falls on the 468 axis tritype. I actually find that A LOT of male teenage protagonists do this. I am not sure why but it's certainly a tendency. And the 4 and 8 fixations are often strong with CP6w7 for head. I think you're right that 8 for core is more likely than 6. That's why I like Harry more than Ron. Ron has the CP6 barking louder than you bite attitude. Harry bites because he knows he can deal with it.

I'd definitely say triple competency for Hermione but core 1w2. She's too frustration driven in my opinion and she has an overall too much of an uptight attitude. She has to score well on her tests to prove that she's good and to legitimize her Muggle side. I don't see a 5 ever caring for this.
Very good point about Hermione.

And I also can see why you'd put Harry at 8-6-4 or 8-4-6. I can see arguments for him as a core 6 too, but to me, he seems much more gut-based than mind-based. His anxiety doesn't work like a 6; but there's a ton of anger like an 8. But some of his extreme loyalty and sense of duty to his friends may be aided by a 6- fix. I am pretty *certain* he has a 6 fix, so those people who see 5ish behavior in him would probably want to consider an 8's line to 5.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Harry is rather a 9w1. He's the "model child", dreamer and not blunt at all.
How is he a model child? He breaks a lot of rules, sneaks around when he's not supposed to, and is a bit 'blah' about his work because he's busy doing his own thing.
He is a dreamer, but I think it's erroneous to imagine that an 8 or 6 or any other type could not be a dreamer. Harry has his dreams, sure, but when it comes to getting through his day he's quite pragmatic. I can see him disappearing into his head and being a bit mentally hazy which is why if he's an 8, I'd give it a wing 9. What I'm wondering is, if he's a 9, why did he rush right into the middle of every adventure from the very first book, taking it upon himself to jump in? Why did he argue so much with Ron and get so stubborn?

Speed...I'd love some examples of Harry being a dreamer! I really never thought of him this way...and I'm having a hard time seeing it. thanks! :)

I'd say he's somewhat pragmatic but has a dreamy streak.

However, I've just heard a strong argument that he didn't have clear goals and was kind of "thrust into his situation" which is a valid argument against type 8. By contrast, as a kid, I always had strong goals and did everything on my own. I had a career in music that I built myself by the time I was 13. The argument that this level of "innate drive" is missing from Harry Potter may be valid. ¿¿¿

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Dont know about his type, but considering his youth, that drive wouldve been stomped out at every turn by uncle Vernon. His goal was to survive.

Hogwards became his escape route, and his power base, if you will, and with that came the drive to fight injustice (fueled by his childhood) he is so well known for, and which caused him to become an Auror.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Snape is a broken 4. Had he been 5w4 he'd have been depressed when Lily abandoned him, but moved on. He didn't, he stalked her until her death.

This, this and this. Disintegration towards 2 and even after she died, he couldn't let go of her.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very good point about Hermione.

And I also can see why you'd put Harry at 8-6-4 or 8-4-6. I can see arguments for him as a core 6 too, but to me, he seems much more gut-based than mind-based. His anxiety doesn't work like a 6; but there's a ton of anger like an 8. But some of his extreme loyalty and sense of duty to his friends may be aided by a 6- fix. I am pretty *certain* he has a 6 fix, so those people who see 5ish behavior in him would probably want to consider an 8's line to 5.

You know what? I related a shitton to Harry in book 5 because he was so angry exactly in the way I'm angry when I'm angry at the world. (I should link you some of the stuff I wrote during this period of my life, you'd see parallels). A lot of people thought he was emo angry but I could just relate to how he thought everything was unjust and cruel and unfair. The world was so rotten you just thought it was better if we all just died. It wouldn't change a thing. Kind of like 5-8 nihilistic anger I think. 1s would be angry out of frustration - the world's so rotten, I must fix it! Harry doesn't want to fix anything and any experience he has which reinforces his view of it being rotten just makes he make him think of it more badly than before. It just proves his mindset all along - the world is rotten.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
^ Dont know about his type, but considering his youth, that drive wouldve been stomped out at every turn by uncle Vernon. His goal was to survive.

Hogwards became his escape route, and his power base, if you will, and with that came the drive to fight injustice (fueled by his childhood) he is so well known for, and which caused him to become an Auror.

I've just heard a strong argument for 9w8. Like I said, I relate a lot to Harry Potter, so I am going to make a list of behaviors and attitudes that I do relate to and don't. I am very curious to hear people's opinions on this topic. I'm writing a book now and JK Rowling s one of my biggest inspirations =D

Behaviors of Harry Potter that I do relate to:

- The way he ignored rules if they didn't suit his purposes.
- The fact that he was shy to come out about his feelings for Ginny or Cho. As a kid, I was shy like that with feelings, though I was fearless with my pursuits.
- His jumping, impulsively, to save Ginny, without thinking ahead about all the obstacles, feeling confident he could handle them, without any good reason for his confidence. I also over-estimate myself like this, but to me it seems practical since I usually end up winning.
- His ambivalent feelings towards his father who seemed similar to him in many ways, but had a dark streak.
- Him telling his friends not to go with him, in the end; that he would face Voldemort on his own.
- The "dreamer" stuff that people mentioned. I like to dream, too!

Behaviors I don't relate to:

- The fact that he didn't run away from his aunt and uncle as a kid. Even in elementary school I used to run away when I couldn't get my way. Nobody could ever control me from when I was a kid. Not sure if this is a circumstantial difference or an enneagram difference.
- His lax attitude about school. I was goal-oriented from a young age, and loved school. I know that 8s aren't supposed to have an "intellectual disposition" and it is possible he is one of those 8s, but I'll speak here to what I personally relate to.
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION], you make a good point here about him needing to survive. I didn't have that problem until I got a chronic illness later in life. But even that didn't stop me from working my ass off in school and always aiming for a career or goals, even during periods where I'm temporarily unemployed.
- That Hermione seems to "lead" in social decisions, rather than Harry taking action and being the first to make decisions.

Vergil

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know what? I related a shitton to Harry in book 5 because he was so angry exactly in the way I'm angry when I'm angry at the world. (I should link you some of the stuff I wrote during this period of my life, you'd see parallels). A lot of people thought he was emo angry but I could just relate to how he thought everything was unjust and cruel and unfair. The world was so rotten you just thought it was better if we all just died. It wouldn't change a thing. Kind of like 5-8 nihilistic anger I think. 1s would be angry out of frustration - the world's so rotten, I must fix it! Harry doesn't want to fix anything and any experience he has which reinforces his view of it being rotten just makes he make him think of it more badly than before. It just proves his mindset all along - the world is rotten.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. But I speak for myself and not all 1s.

I also am of the opinion that HP is 9w8. I am also not going to explain because I am being lazy.. xD

Sowwy