• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter types

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Flutterby

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I

Hell fucking no.

Makes sense, but nah

Nope

Snape, a romantic? :wtf:

Naaah. Obvious 6w5 sp/sx is obvious. ;)

You want me to explain or you want power or you want your emotions justified?

Cos baby, I can explain!

Here's just one explanation:

Warning: I know I know too much about the Harry Potter series.
You are entering the territory of a reformed Harry Potter nerd.
You have been warned.

Harry I see as 8. I used to think 5, but I am a five, and you know what, Harry is not dominant function 5, IMO. Think about how strong willed and pig headed he is. He's a natural leader when he has experience, status and support in his peer group. He needs respect real bad or he butts head. HE LOVES TO PROTECT PEOPLE. He uses his authority for good most of the time because he is a good leader, IE. Makes the world a safer place for others. He is not detached.

IN BOOK FIVE HE TALKS LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME. HE IS SO ANGRY. SO ANGRY. HE WILL CHALLENGE THAT UMBITCH, umm, Umbridge.

His one laughable attempt at detaching is when he tells Dumblydore at end of book five he wants out, and he does that in the middle of a full scale temper tantrum where he challenges Dumblys authority and throws his things at him.

Tell me again he's not an 8. Tell me again. Why do you not want him to be an 8?

Why does Harry react badly to his father's jerkiness? Because his father, while being an 8 like him, used his power for himself and not for others.

How many times does Harry show weakness in this series, seriously? He cries at the grave with Mione. He cries in front of Ron and Mrs Weasley end of book four. He will not show one inch of weakness to those who threaten him. Even when he likes puzzles he does not do much research. How much research did he do during the tournament? He kept procrastinating, then in one task Dobby had to do his research for him. Who does all the book research? Hermione! Why? Because she's a five! Sure, she has a strong 2 side, but what's her dominant function? What's she always doing when she's not arguing with Ronnikins? Reading! Always reading! She must know. She is so desperate to show that she knows. I know, she almost screams, love me, love me because I know! I deserve to be loved because I know! I have knowledge, my parents valued knowledge, knowledge helps me to feel safe in this new and overwhelming wizarding world. Harry unknowingly affirms this for her by using her knowledge to assist in his leadership and rebellion efforts. Sorry to be getting off track there, but to get back to Harry, what does he do when he can't accept a leader? Either rebels in spirit or rebels in secret, or just outright rebels. Dumbledore's Army? Rebellion against Umbridge. Telling Professor Snapikins not to call him sir? Rebellion against Snape's authority. Throwing stuff at the headmaster? Rebellion against a once trusted authority under difficult circumstances.

How much does Harry know really? To call him a five is laughable. Sure, I see where people get that idea from, he loves mysteries, he loves puzzles, they keep him alive and he's a natural born snoop who's been encouraged by Master Manipulator Dumbleforce, so he'd better love it!

Harry hardly does any reading unless he has to, is searching for clues or is wub with Half Blood Prince. He wants a father figure and his last one just carked it, Dumbles is too distant and old to fill in properly, here he is attaching to Snape without even knowing it! Then he finds out that the slashing spell was his favourite guy's advice, now he can't trust him anymore! He was looking to this idealised stranger to lead him, who can lead him now?

I am happy to hear your opinions on this. I won't take kindly if you try to say I have no point though. Sounds like an emotional reaction to me.

Maybe best not to get me started. I put a lot of thought into these types and will defend them like mad. That's my emotional reaction. Besides, can you really argue against the crazy sort who read and wrote fanfiction in this universe? I'd love it if anyone tried!

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You want me to explain or you want power or you want your emotions justified?

Cos baby, I can explain!

Here's just one explanation:

Warning: I know I know too much about the Harry Potter series.
You are entering the territory of a reformed Harry Potter nerd.
You have been warned.

Harry I see as 8. I used to think 5, but I am a five, and you know what, Harry is not dominant function 5, IMO. Think about how strong willed and pig headed he is. He's a natural leader when he has experience, status and support in his peer group. He needs respect real bad or he butts head. HE LOVES TO PROTECT PEOPLE. He uses his authority for good most of the time because he is a good leader, IE. Makes the world a safer place for others. He is not detached.

IN BOOK FIVE HE TALKS LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME. HE IS SO ANGRY. SO ANGRY. HE WILL CHALLENGE THAT UMBITCH, umm, Umbridge.

His one laughable attempt at detaching is when he tells Dumblydore at end of book five he wants out, and he does that in the middle of a full scale temper tantrum where he challenges Dumblys authority and throws his things at him.

Tell me again he's not an 8. Tell me again. Why do you not want him to be an 8?

Why does Harry react badly to his father's jerkiness? Because his father, while being an 8 like him, used his power for himself and not for others.

How many times does Harry show weakness in this series, seriously? He cries at the grave with Mione. He cries in front of Ron and Mrs Weasley end of book four. He will not show one inch of weakness to those who threaten him. Even when he likes puzzles he does not do much research. How much research did he do during the tournament? He kept procrastinating, then in one task Dobby had to do his research for him. Who does all the book research? Hermione! Why? Because she's a five! Sure, she has a strong 2 side, but what's her dominant function? What's she always doing when she's not arguing with Ronnikins? Reading! Always reading! She must know. She is so desperate to show that she knows. I know, she almost screams, love me, love me because I know! I deserve to be loved because I know! I have knowledge, my parents valued knowledge, knowledge helps me to feel safe in this new and overwhelming wizarding world. Harry unknowingly affirms this for her by using her knowledge to assist in his leadership and rebellion efforts. Sorry to be getting off track there, but to get back to Harry, what does he do when he can't accept a leader? Either rebels in spirit or rebels in secret, or just outright rebels. Dumbledore's Army? Rebellion against Umbridge. Telling Professor Snapikins not to call him sir? Rebellion against Snape's authority. Throwing stuff at the headmaster? Rebellion against a once trusted authority under difficult circumstances.

How much does Harry know really? To call him a five is laughable. Sure, I see where people get that idea from, he loves mysteries, he loves puzzles, they keep him alive and he's a natural born snoop who's been encouraged by Master Manipulator Dumbleforce, so he'd better love it!

Harry hardly does any reading unless he has to, is searching for clues or is wub with Half Blood Prince. He wants a father figure and his last one just carked it, Dumbles is too distant and old to fill in properly, here he is attaching to Snape without even knowing it! Then he finds out that the slashing spell was his favourite guy's advice, now he can't trust him anymore! He was looking to this idealised stranger to lead him, who can lead him now?

I am happy to hear your opinions on this. I won't take kindly if you try to say I have no point though. Sounds like an emotional reaction to me.

Maybe best not to get me started. I put a lot of thought into these types and will defend them like mad. That's my emotional reaction. Besides, can you really argue against the crazy sort who read and wrote fanfiction in this universe? I'd love it if anyone tried!
Why are you assuming I think Harry's a 5?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Incidentally, I must admit I kind of fucked up Snape's type, he isn't an 8. He actually is likely a 4w5 sx/so.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Incidentally, I must admit I kind of fucked up Snape's type, he isn't an 8. He actually is likely a 4w5 sx/so.
How about a 5w6 sp/sx???

Flutterby

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sorry Aleksei, I go laughably nuts when I talk about HP.

Umm, I'm not sure whether I thought you thought he was a five or if I just assumed that you would think that or what. I was very sleepy and ready to leave to go to work when I wrote that post so it's basically just insane. (I also just don't normally respond to people when they act like I haven't thought about things, which I sort of thought was implied from your response, but because it is so easy to write stuff down and I think of this as a fun geek out thread I went ahead and responded.)

I read back through your posts and I see you pegged him as 2. I can definitely see that there is a lot of merit in saying that he could be a 2.

However, I still think he is an 8. I'm not really sure if you're interested in my response though, so won't respond again unless you do.

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi guys,
I see stuff happened since I've been away...
How about Harry as a 9w8, Flutterby, the peacemaker who will challenge and rebel when things aren't like he thought?
It would make more sense if Snape was 4w5 or 5w4, or maybe even 5w6, though I can see his 'tortured 4' thing.

On Dumbleforce: That's absolutely brilliant, where do you come up with these things lol?

I'm not actually sure if Hermione wants to be perfect and protective (1w2/ 2w1) or just plain knowledgable with anxiety of not being loved/right (5w6) but she compares more with my 2w1 sister than my 5w6 mate, so I'd guess the first.

Echoes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Harry: 9w8 so/sx
Hermione: 2w1 sp/so
Ron: 6w7 so/sp
Ginny: 8 of some kind... so/sx
Snape: 4w5/5w4 sp/sx or sx/sp
Sirius so/sx or sx/so 7w8 deteriorated between school and HP3 (Azkaban)
James: 7w8, 8w7 or 8w9
Peter 6w5 sp/so
Remus:9w1 so/sp or so/sx deteriorating slowly to 6w5 from sometime after HP3 until the birth of his baby, or maybe until his death.
Tonks: 7w6 sx/so or so/sx with temporary deterioration between HP5 and HP7.
Molly: 2w1 or 2w3 so/sp
Arthur: 6w5 or 9w1 sp/so
Fred/George: 7w6 so/sp
Percy: N/A 8?
Hagrid: 2w3 sx/sp
Dumbledore: 5w4 sp/so

I would really appreciate critiques of all the characters which have two possibilities next to them, as well as any that you think are incorrect, but please give your reasoning if you can :)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about a 5w6 sp/sx???

Hi guys,
How about Harry as a 9w8, Flutterby, the peacemaker who will challenge and rebel when things aren't like he thought?
It would make more sense if Snape was 4w5 or 5w4, or maybe even 5w6, though I can see his 'tortured 4' thing.
I think Snape is a broken 4. Had he been 5w4 he'd have been depressed when Lily abandoned him, but moved on. He didn't, he stalked her until her death.

Harry: 9w8 so/sx
Hermione: 2w1 sp/so
Ron: 6w7 so/sp
Ginny: 8 of some kind... so/sx
Snape: 4w5/5w4 sp/sx or sx/sp
Sirius so/sx or sx/so 7w8 deteriorated between school and HP3 (Azkaban)
James: 7w8, 8w7 or 8w9
Peter 6w5 sp/so
Remus:9w1 so/sp or so/sx deteriorating slowly to 6w5 from sometime after HP3 until the birth of his baby, or maybe until his death.
Tonks: 7w6 sx/so or so/sx with temporary deterioration between HP5 and HP7.
Molly: 2w1 or 2w3 so/sp
Arthur: 6w5 or 9w1 sp/so
Fred/George: 7w6 so/sp
Percy: N/A 8?
Hagrid: 2w3 sx/sp
Dumbledore: 5w4 sp/so

I would really appreciate critiques of all the characters which have two possibilities next to them, as well as any that you think are incorrect, but please give your reasoning if you can :)
9 makes sense for Harry, but I think he's just driven to keep people from harm, not really avoid conflict. He's a 2.

Hermione- 1w2, rather than 2w1. She's far more focused on perfection than on lending a helping hand.

Ginny, 8? :huh: She's nowhere near domineering enough. She's quiet, reflective and dreamy, with a histrionic and assertive streak becoming more and more apparent as she grew up. 4w3 sx/sp, all the way.

Snape- 4w5 so/sx. He's quite concerned with social order, in addition to being an obsessive romantic.

James- 7w8 sx/sp

Molly- 2w1 so/sx (I don't see a concern for herself at all).

Dumbledore- 1w9 sp/so

Echoes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I might have mistaken the variants but I was working under the assumption that:

Social: I want to belong, be accepted
Self-Pres: I want to provide shelter, safety, food (bare essentials) for myself and my family.
Sexual: I want to connect with people on a deep level.

So wouldn't Molly have Sp higher in her stacking, she loves that kinda stuff? :)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I might have mistaken the variants but I was working under the assumption that:

Social: I want to belong, be accepted
Self-Pres: I want to provide shelter, safety, food (bare essentials) for myself and my family.
Sexual: I want to connect with people on a deep level.

So wouldn't Molly have Sp higher in her stacking, she loves that kinda stuff? :)
I always thought sp was more about yourself, not so much about people close to you (hence self-preservation).

Echoes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Oh, it's just Enneagram Institute says:

Self Preservation Instinct

People who have this as their dominant instinct are preoccupied with the safety, comfort, health, energy, and well-being of the physical body. In a word, they are concerned with having enough resources to meet life's demands. Identification with the body is a fundamental focus for all humans, and we need our body to function well in order to be alive and active in the world. Most people in contemporary cultures are not faced life or death "survival" in the strictest sense; thus, Self-Preservation types tend to be concerned with food, money, housing, medical matters, and physical comfort. Moreover, those primarily focused on self-preservation, by extension, are usually interested in maintaining these resources for others as well. Their focus of attention naturally goes towards things related to these areas such as clothes, temperature, shopping, decorating, and the like, particularly if they are not satisfied in these areas or have a feeling of deficiency due to their childhoods. Self-Pres types tend to be more grounded, practical, serious, and introverted than the other two instinctual types. They might have active social lives and a satisfying intimate relationship, but if they feel that their self-preservation needs are not being met, still tend not to be happy or at ease. In their primary relationships, these people are "nesters"—they seek domestic tranquility and security with a stable, reliable partner.

What do you think? Does this change your perspective on any 'Harry Potter' characters?

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Oli, I found those concise definitions you were looking for:

sx = fear of not making an intense, intimate one-on-one connection

so = fear of ostracism, rejection, failure to fit in

sp = fear of being deprived of essential needs or resources

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Also this:

[U]SEXUAL[/U]

:primary concern:
intense experiences, connections, and contacts, wide-ranging and exploratory, in order to find something to "complete" them inside (ski jumps, deep conversations, exciting movies)

:primary focus:
people and attractions promising intense energy and charge

:primary ambition:
looking outside themselves for the person or situation that will complete them, and then obsessing over that completing element

:primary stresses:
lack of intense mental or emotional stimulation, lack of an intense connection or experience

:coping methods: (unhealthy)
scattered attention, lack of focus, sexual promiscuity, intensely avoiding intense experiences and connections with a fearful and dysfunctional attitude toward sex, intimacy, and other intense "completing" experiences, as is skewed by the secondary instinct

Sx/So - Likely to neglect their desire to build their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others for the sake of their primary concern of seeking intense connections and experiences, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the body's need for food or sleep, or of the need to accumulate wealth for reasons of security, or of the need to manage time or resources to establish an orderly lifestyle.

Sx/Sp - Likely to neglect their desire to maintain physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle for the sake of their primary concern of seeking intense connections and experiences, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to connect in a broader sense with the world, of a sense of security or in groups or of the need to seek it, or even of the need to foster approval, support, and understanding of themselves within groups they are connected with, often causing misunderstandings with allies, supporters, friends, and family members.

SOCIAL

building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and a security of place with others via interaction with people in a broader sense (through family, group, subculture, mainstream culture, community, nation, world)

the status, approval, and admirability of theirself and of others in the minds of any number of different groups; "subtle" power structures and politics; knowing what is going on in the world; a contextual intelligence that allows them to see both their efforts and their broader context in the world

interacting with people in ways that will build their personal value, their sense of accomplishment, and their security of place with others; to touch base with others to feel safe, alive, and energized; may include pursuit of attention, success, fame, recognition, honor, leadership, appreciation, and the security of being a part of something bigger than themselves

being able to adjust to others and be acceptable; others' reactions to them, whether they are being accepted or not; may include intimacy, which is tended to be avoided

antisocial behavior, detesting or resenting society at large, displaying poorly developed social skills, fear and distrust of society, resentfulness at having had to change to gain approval causes a stubbornness against doing what is necessary to get along with people, social resentment and avoidance as is skewed by the secondary instinct

So/Sx - Likely to neglect their desire to seek intense connections and experiences for the sake of their primary concern of building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the body's need for food or sleep, or of the need to accumulate wealth for reasons of security, or of the need to manage time or resources to establish an orderly lifestyle.

So/Sp - Likely to neglect their desire to maintain physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle for the sake of their primary concern of building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to stimulate the mind or emotions, of a sense of deep excitement or enthusiasm, of a need for intimate experiences, of the need for the unfamiliar. May fall into routines and, despite social connection, may feel a strange disconnection even from spouses, friends, and family.

SELF-PRESERVATION

physical safety, comfort, and well-being; securing an orderly and aesthetically pleasing way of life (food, clothing, money, housing, and physical health)

security, comfort, and well-being of the environment (lighting, temperature, comfortable furniture, aesthetics, food quality)

using practicality and financial sense to create a secure environment in the home and workplace (paying bills, acquiring skills to ensure the orderly flow of life)

money, sustenance (how they will get food, when it will come, if they will like it, if it fits their diet)

over-stocking, overbuying, overeating, overpurging, oversleeping, undersleeping, overindulging in aesthetics or comfort foods, mistreatment of comfort and security as is skewed by the secondary instinct

Sp/Sx - Likely to neglect their desire to seek intense connections and experiences for the sake of their primary concern of maintaining physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to connect in a broader sense with the world, of a sense of security or in groups or of the need to seek it, or even of the need to foster approval, support, and understanding of themselves within groups they are connected with, often causing misunderstandings with allies, supporters, friends, and family members.

Sp/So - Likely to neglect their desire to build their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others for the sake of their primary concern of maintaining physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to stimulate the mind or emotions, of a sense of deep excitement or enthusiasm, of a need for intimate experiences, of the need for the unfamiliar. May fall into routines and, despite social connection, may feel a strange disconnection even from spouses, friends, and family.

Flutterby

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hi guys,

On Dumbleforce: That's absolutely brilliant, where do you come up with these things lol?

I'm not actually sure if Hermione wants to be perfect and protective (1w2/ 2w1) or just plain knowledgable with anxiety of not being loved/right (5w6) but she compares more with my 2w1 sister than my 5w6 mate, so I'd guess the first.

Hi!

Glad you like the names, I don't make up all of them but some of them I do.

I still see Harry as an 8. I believe in two wings, so therefore I assume he will have a 9 wing, and I think sometimes people have wings that are just as strong as their dominant type. I see Hermione as five. I also thought she could have been a 2 or a 1, but when I went and read the type descriptions I convinced myself she was a 5. I think she just tries so hard to prove she's competent and capable, plus she genuinely enjoys learning so much she practically falls out of her seat when she puts her hand up in class. She's always reading and researching, and at one point I think the book describes her as a walking encyclopaedia. I absolutely think that Hermione has 1 and 2 aspects but I see her dominant type as being 5.

I absolutely think Snape has a five wing, as he would have a 3 wing, but I definitely see him as a 4. I think he needs to feel that he is special, and he's definitely wallowing in pain, so unhealthy 4.

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
This will become much easier now that the amazing BC/Other Site has posted a comprehensive list of video examples of types with wings and stackings, so now we can use actual examples, which may stop any heated debate before it starts. List to follow soon...

Edit: Putting characters with videos is actually much harder than I first expected, this might take a while...

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Hm... Just getting into this. I think Snape is a 6w5 or 5w6. Loyal, brave, direct and blunt, intellectual, objective and rational, calm.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I assume you did not read books 6 or 7, then?