User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Default Determining someone's enneagram

I don't know if there's a thread on this already, so if there is, feel free to just link me to it or something...

Is there any easy way (outside of referencing some memorized information) to determine someone's enneagram type? I've kind of developed my own personal algorithm for determining MBTI labels, as I can break MBTI types down into the Jungian functions (jungtions, tehe), so I don't have to rely on memorizing how each type is categorized on a behavioral/mental level. I just know what the functions are (they're easy to remember, as the name of the function clearly matches up with its definition), how the letters in the MBTI labels correlate to the functions, and blam.

I've seen no way to do this with enneagram really (though I've not studied the subject too much; chalk it up to my inability to quickly form an Ne/Ti pattern there). That being said, can anyone offer a simple way to figure out a person's enneagram? Or do I just need to understand the numbers inside and out in order to figure out the etype and the wings...

I'm starting to see the value in enneagram and how when used in conjunction with MBTI labels, it can really narrow in on categorizing a person's psyche (BC has convinced me ), but I'm hesitant to really get into it because the labeling system seems so nonsensical and disorganized, especially when compared to the MBTI labels.

So, how can I make sense of enneagram in a way that appeals to my Ne/Ti? Mnemonic devices, logical systematization, succinct descriptions, anything would be appreciated!

MBTI
    INFP

I don't really understand the enneagram fully myself, but... In a way, the triads kinda present a pattern in each of the enneatypes, by that I mean Instinctual (8,9,1) Feeling (2,3,4) and Thinking (5,6,7). Each type is affected by the other triads, the intensity of which depends on where they fall... For instance, 4 is an emotional type that is closest to the Thinking triad, which means they prefer feeling>thinking>instinctual. If they fall in the middle (3,6,9) you could probably think of them being the most "pure" of their respective triad... It's not much but it helps me get a "flavor" for each of them without actually looking/memorizing the descriptions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

All you need to memorize is the main motivations. Most of the traits make a lot more sense when you know that. Oh, and combine that with the main traits of the triads, thinking center deals with anxiety, feeling center deals with shame, instinctual center deals with anger. The more you split the enneagram up, the easier it is to type people with.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

What are the main motivations?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    What are the main motivations?
    Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed, and Sloth.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Those are an ESTP's main motivations. Wikipedia has a pretty good breakdown of motivations.Here.
    I'm so helpful...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    But those are only 7 things... what about the other two?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Enneagram is not about motivation.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Enneagram is not about motivation.
    ^this
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    ^this
    Right you are, it's about fear, and fear can be very motivating, you know...

Amazing how people try to split atoms with criticality aimed at 2.4 year old posts made in jest.
    Bored anyone?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro