• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram - MBTI correlation

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
There must be a thread like this already, correlating just these two, but I didn't find it so soon.

From a book I looked in today (The enneagram basics book), I got:

Type 1: Te
Type 2: Fe
Type 3:
Type 4: Ni
Type 5: Ti
Type 6: Fi
Type 7: Se
Type 8: Ne
Type 9: Si

It does seem like there is some Ni in type 4, right? Also being the most inside themselves... And the 5w4 looking for the image that expresses it all. I think these correlations aren't bad, although it's the same as with all correlations (they only partly align). It explains why an INTJ would be 4 (primary Ni) just as well as six (tertiary Fi); the 5-wing or dominant will be their T. And an INTP 9 would be explained by somehow being more into their Si, and why integration towards 8 would make a 5 use their secondary Ne more.
It even makes more plausible the case of a 5w4 / 4w5 being Ti Ni or Ni Ti like Jung or Nietzsche. (Marking the additive value of correlating).

MBTI Type
ENTP
this is interesting. it doesn't seem right though. either wings have to be taken into account, or function attitudes aren't the best way to draw connections. but given that the enneagram is an all-round mess, it's bound to be imperfect.

Aphex

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
There must be a thread like this already, correlating just these two, but I didn't find it so soon.

Type 3:

It does seem like there is some Ni in type 4, right? Also being the most inside themselves... And the 5w4 looking for the image that expresses it all. I think these correlations aren't bad, although it's the same as with all correlations (they only partly align). It explains why an INTJ would be 4 (primary Ni) just as well as six (tertiary Fi); the 5-wing or dominant will be their T. And an INTP 9 would be explained by somehow being more into their Si, and why integration towards 8 would make a 5 use their secondary Ne more.
It even makes more plausible the case of a 5w4 / 4w5 being Ti Ni or Ni Ti like Jung or Nietzsche. (Marking the additive value of correlating).

I've read this book, and it's mostly agreeable, apart from the theory that ENTP's and ENFP's are most likely to be 8's. That's pretty ridiculous.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Some of the options sound good (like 2 = Fe, I guess being a 1 might make any type seem more Te...), but I'm not sure about the 4 being primarily Ni. There are far too many INFPs, ENFPs and ISFPs among 4s, so I'd just as well associate it with Fi. I also haven't met any INTJ 4s irl so far, to be honest.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I had a list in my blog a while ago. Not 100% right, but gives another view. I think there is another thread also.

Type 1: ISxJ and some xNxJs (Religious/do the right thing)
Type 2: ExFJ (Fe dominant) and some ExFPs (Help others with the intent of receiving love in return, less introverts because it is defining externally)
Type 3: Exxx, less so ExFPs (seek admiration and self improvement, again externally focussed so less introverts, less ExFPs maybe because of Fi.)
Type 4: INFx (seek understanding of self and examine self, internally focussed, theoretical, personal)
Type 5: IxTx (observe, detach to analyse, understand)
Type 6: ISxx (I've seen this listed a few times, but it's a weak correlation)
Type 7: ExxP (Xe dominant) (explore and appreciate the world, the extroverted perceivers correlation makes sense)
Type 8: ExTJ and many ExxPs (self reliance, strength, independence. May be harder to see ExxPs being 8, but that defiance is there.)
Type 9: IxFP and ISTPs (accept others as they are, do the right thing, find union)

Jaguar

These are not carved in stone, but still worth looking at.

myers_briggs_enneagram.jpg

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yep...that's better noigmn and jaguar. too many enxps type 7 for it to be correlated with se alone.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yeh, I think Jag and mine agree on most for the main types that correlate and some for the third and fourth. They disagree on type 6, but from what I know, type six hardly correlates with anything.

Do you know if there is any order or system to the MBTi types listed on the diagram Jag? Or are they just placed on there to see the connection between enneagram types?

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I've read that any temperament can be any enneagram type but don't agree with that. There must be overlap and variation due to other facets of personality yet I have a hard time reconciling descriptions of some of the mbti with those of the enneagram.

For me, just as attachment theory is too confining, temperament theory is as well. Can hardly make sense of only 4 attachment styles for all the varied child-parent relationships experienced.

Maybe enneagram encompasses more of the whole person ime, so I don't see it as being the problem, except I could be wrong. Wing of etype may explain attachment nuances. Reflecting on the etypes though, some of them don't seem to correlate very well with the mbti.

How can a type Two be a thinking type, for example? Maybe Si with a light Ti or something, but what mbti type is THAT? And a judging 7 is bound to have significant problems in life, how could evolution do this to a person?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ

Type 3:

Yeah the bolded ones are pretty off

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Yeah the bolded ones are pretty off

The cognitive functions as primary you bolded don't seem off to me, though I'm not quick at how they match the mbti lineups so maybe that's what you are referring to? I do find that etypes match nicely to a dominant function but then when I try to fit that with the total description it doesn't work. Maybe I'm a cognitive processes gal. Never understood the mbti past the dom and aux preferences.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The MBTI and Enneagram are both very differently structure and concerned with different aspects of personality. The result is that there isn't any acceptably good method of correlating them and alignments are hit and miss.

It does seem true to me that 2s are very Fe, but it's basically chance. That there is a process clearly appropriate for them does not mean there is a process clearly appropriate for all of them, and consider that one Enneagram time will be left over.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an ISFJ but I'm a Type 2w1 Ennegram. I always thought that xSFJ overlapped pretty well with with Type 2's

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
The correlations on the ptypes site are the most accurate.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Notes- I would say pretty much anyone can be a 6, although it seems much more common within the SJs and NPs than SPs and NJs. Also I'd say anyone but I_T_ types can be a 3, with extroverts much more likely to be 3's. So for that reason I'm not going to list 3 or 6.

INFP:

Most common- 4, 9w1
Less common- 5

ISFP:

Most common- 4w3, 9
Less common- 7

INTP:

Most common- 5
Less common- 1, 4, 9w1

ISTP-

Most common- 5w6, 9 (9w8 more common)
Less common- 7, 1

INFJ:

Most common- 4, 9w1
Less common- 5, 1

ISFJ:

Most common- 6, 1
Less common- 2, 4

INTJ:

Most common- 5, 1
Less common- 8, 4

ISTJ:

Most common- 5w6, 6, 1
Less common- 8

ENFP:

Most common- 7, 4 (7 is obviously the most common, but 4's don't seem that uncommon)
Less common- 8, 2, 9

ESFP:

Most common- 7, 3 (3 is notable here because I've noticed that a lot of ESFPs are 3)
Less common- 8

ESTP:

Most common- 7, 8
Less common- N/A other than 3

ENTP:

Most common- 7, 6, 3
Less common- 5, 8

ENFJ:

Most common- 2, 1
Less common- 4, 9, 7

ESFJ:

Most common- 2, 1, 6
Less common- N/A

ENTJ:

Most common- 8
Less common- 7, 1

ESTJ:

Most common- 8, 6
Less common- 1

There are of course some strange combinations outside of this list; but these are just my observations.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Notes- I would say pretty much anyone can be a 6, although it seems much more common within the SJs and NPs than SPs and NJs. Also I'd say anyone but I_T_ types can be a 3, with extroverts much more likely to be 3's. So for that reason I'm not going to list 3 or 6.

INFP:

Most common- 4, 9w1
Less common- 5

ISFP:

Most common- 4w3, 9
Less common- 7

INTP:

Most common- 5
Less common- 1, 4, 9w1

ISTP-

Most common- 5w6, 9 (9w8 more common)
Less common- 7, 1

INFJ:

Most common- 4, 9w1
Less common- 5, 1

ISFJ:

Most common- 6, 1
Less common- 2, 4

INTJ:

Most common- 5, 1
Less common- 8, 4

ISTJ:

Most common- 5w6, 6, 1
Less common- 8

ENFP:

Most common- 7, 4 (7 is obviously the most common, but 4's don't seem that uncommon)
Less common- 8, 2, 9

ESFP:

Most common- 7, 3 (3 is notable here because I've noticed that a lot of ESFPs are 3)
Less common- 8

ESTP:

Most common- 7, 8
Less common- N/A other than 3

ENTP:

Most common- 7, 6, 3
Less common- 5, 8

ENFJ:

Most common- 2, 1
Less common- 4, 9, 7

ESFJ:

Most common- 2, 1, 6
Less common- N/A

ENTJ:

Most common- 8
Less common- 7, 1

ESTJ:

Most common- 8, 6
Less common- 1

There are of course some strange combinations outside of this list; but these are just my observations.

I like these. The only thing I would add would be 3w2 for ESFJs. I think its a fairly common ennea for them.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like these. The only thing I would add would be 3w2 for ESFJs. I think its a fairly common ennea for them.

I can't really say much as I don't know too many ESFJs, but as I said 3 goes for almost anyone. But I can definitely see how it's pretty common now that I think about it.

G

Ginkgo

These are not carved in stone, but still worth looking at.

myers_briggs_enneagram.jpg

This reminds me of something...

73620_Pentagram_620.jpg

and...

Brillanten.jpg

Diamonds are hard. You know what else is hard? My nipples. Coincidence? I think not.