User Tag List

123 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Can't figure out if I'm a 6 or a 4

Iíve just started exploring the enneagram and from some tests Iíve done, and the descriptions, it seems most likely that Iím either a 6 or a 4. Anyone want to have a shot at helping me figure it out? I know that 4 is much more common for INFJ, but 6 is at least a possibility.

6 is supposed to be full of doubt and seeking security. I certainly relate to those, much more than 4ís supposed glorification of ďothernessĒ. I would say that I do tend to feel different from other people Ė but less so than when I was younger Ė and these days, itís not something I want to focus on; I would prefer to have empathetic relationships with others and find at least a few people I can fit in with.

On the other hand, I do relate to the 4ís quest for intense emotional experiences and the desire for authenticity.

I am kind of leaning toward 6, because unlike many INFJís, I think my N is relatively weak and I am strongest on F and J! Besides INFJ, which I have concluded is definitely my type, I probably feel a bit closer to ISFJ than any other type. That would kind of seem to fit with being a type 6.

Anyone want to help me out? I havenít provided a lot of info here, but maybe you can ask me some useful questionsÖ As for the wings, Iím not sure I even want to go there yet! But I sort of figured if Iím either 6 or 4, Iím either 6w5 or 4w5. I donít really see myself being 6w7 or 4w3.

Thanks!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Actually, reading descriptions of 6w5 and 6w7, I really relate to aspects of both...some descriptions more than others...so if I were a 6, maybe I'd be fairly balanced between the wings...?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post

On the other hand, I do relate to the 4ís quest for intense emotional experiences and the desire for authenticity.
    This is common to NFs in general.

If the overall description of 6 sounds more like you than the overall description of 4, then you are more likely a 6 than a 4.

It's really that simple.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    6 is supposed to be full of doubt and seeking security. I certainly relate to those, much more than 4ís supposed glorification of ďothernessĒ. I would say that I do tend to feel different from other people Ė but less so than when I was younger Ė and these days, itís not something I want to focus on; I would prefer to have empathetic relationships with others and find at least a few people I can fit in with.

A few items complicate things beyond the basic description of each type.

First, is the instinctual variants, which some Enneagram authors argue is more important than the types themselves. To help identify your type, you could identify your instinctual variant and then read the descriptions for the variants of types 4 and 6. This should give you a pretty good idea. For example, this page discusses the variants: Enneagram Test, Instinctual Subtypes, Enneagram Subtypes | Enneagram Worldwide

Second, the levels of health add a level of depth to the types: Enneagram Levels of Development: Presentation at IEA Conference '04
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

6 vs 4: Fours are naturally elitist and sixes aren't. Sixes don't romanticize being different like fours do.

4 vs 6: Fours are comfortable with their elitism as they just know they have insight and creativity others lack. Sixes don't like it when people place themselves above others due to it being unfair.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...type-four.html
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-type-six.html
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

You sound more like a 6, from your description. Go with your instincts.

Do you have a greater desire for reliability, or being unique? Read up on some profiles, the ones BlackCat listed are a good start.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    6 vs 4: Fours are naturally elitist and sixes aren't. Sixes don't romanticize being different like fours do.

4 vs 6: Fours are comfortable with their elitism as they just know they have insight and creativity others lack. Sixes don't like it when people place themselves above others due to it being unfair.
    This sounds strange to me... I've finally concluded I'm a 4w5, but I don't think I'm "naturally elitist" at all (whatever it means), I don't "romanticize" being different (I don't mind being different, but I would rather fit in, and I like people who are different only when they're not ego-centric and I can relate to them), and I indeed don't like it when people place themselves above others due to it being unfair. However, I think I am basically a 4 - it's just that my life experiences shaped me a little differently.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad
    I would say that I do tend to feel different from other people Ė but less so than when I was younger Ė and these days, itís not something I want to focus on; I would prefer to have empathetic relationships with others and find at least a few people I can fit in with.
    I can relate to this completely. I'm not so much into security but I'm sx/sp which could explain it. Maybe you're sp primary? Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly possible you really are a 6, but I think the counter-arguments others offered aren't too convincing.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    You sound more like a 6, from your description. Go with your instincts.

Do you have a greater desire for reliability, or being unique? Read up on some profiles, the ones BlackCat listed are a good start.
    Yeah I'm thinking six too.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post
    This sounds strange to me... I've finally concluded I'm a 4w5, but I don't think I'm "naturally elitist" at all (whatever it means), I don't "romanticize" being different (I don't mind being different, but I would rather fit in, and I like people who are different only when they're not ego-centric and I can relate to them), and I indeed don't like it when people place themselves above others due to it being unfair. However, I think I am basically a 4 - it's just that my life experiences shaped me a little differently.

There's always a touch of romanticism to a four, and elitism doesn't necessarily mean you openly think you're better than others or that people shouldn't have equal resources or something like that. 4 elitism is very real, though, and it sometimes just indicates elitism in terms of artistic preferences or intellectuallism or other things rather than having some attitude like you deserve to have more or better things than others - though I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility with some 4s.

I'm a 4w3, btw.

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    There's always a touch of romanticism to a four, and elitism doesn't necessarily mean you openly think you're better than others or that people shouldn't have equal resources or something like that. 4 elitism is very real, though, and it sometimes just indicates elitism in terms of artistic preferences or intellectuallism or other things rather than having some attitude like you deserve to have more or better things than others - though I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility with some 4s.
    Ok, I can relate to this Perhaps I am kind of "snobbish" in this sense of the word, that's true.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme