• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

'WTF is this enneagram nonsense!?!?'

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
every time ive attempted to take it, i usually stop at the second question. it asks too many detailed questions that i dont know the answers to.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got a book out from the library several years ago and there didn't seem to be much "meat" to it. MBTI seemed far more robust. I must admit that it seemed a little like astrology to me. Given some of the attention on this forum and others, I'm reconsidering however if I should revisit it though. Maybe I didn't read the right book.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I got a book out from the library several years ago and there didn't seem to be much "meat" to it. MBTI seemed far more robust. I must admit that it seemed a little like astrology to me. Given some of the attention on this forum and others, I'm reconsidering however if I should revisit it though. Maybe I didn't read the right book.

The Riso/Hudson works combined are probably about 7 inches thick, and that's only one set of experts/authors. Check out:

Amazon.com: Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery (0046442798679): Russ Hudson, Don Richard Riso: Books
Amazon.com: Understanding the Enneagram: The Practical Guide to Personality Types (0046442004152): Don Richard Riso, Russ Hudson: Books
Amazon.com: The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types (9780553378207): Don Richard Riso, Russ Hudson: Books
or
Amazon.com: Discovering Your Personality Type: The Essential Introduction to the Enneagram, Revised and Expanded (0046442219037): Don Richard Riso, Russ Hudson: Books (Although I can't vouch for this one personally as I haven't read it yet - I'm adding it to my to-do list.)

Also, Enneagram Institute: Enneagram Testing & Training is as robust, or more robust, than any MBTI site I've run across, although the forums are hit or miss. There are a lot of immature posters there, but when you run across one of the hidden gem threads those can be very enlightening.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since you felt a need to mention me by name, let me distinguish myself a bit (oh, and I see Evan is here!).

I neither skimmed this system nor immedietely put it to doubt, so I don't know if I really fit well into your OP. I am there in a way that makes me appear cohesive with the other people you mention, when I am not.

When I first looked into the Enneagram, I was very taken with it, and at first thought I had something more valuable to me than the MBTI. Obviously that excitement drove me to consume as much material on it as I could. In doing so, I eventuallly lost some of my respect, as I found elements that did not seem to add up, elements that seemed devoid of a validation, and areas of concern that seemed to be holes, that is issues unaddressed, in the Enneagram. This did not happen over night, but it was gradual, and when one finds flaws in something he or she liked so much, the intelligent thing is not to suddenly throw it out, but to acknowledge the flaws and then, if possible, refine it. And so I began doing just that.

I want to know King, since I do not recall, did you participate in me and Evan's thread at all? If you did or did not, I have to ask how much of it you read? It is possible I have already said things there that would address questions and comments of yours here.