User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which personality test do you find more flexible?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flexible/Changing MBTI with a constant Enneagram

3 23.08%
  • Flexible/Changing Enneagram with a constant MBTI

3 23.08%
  • Both are Flexible/Changing

3 23.08%
  • Both are Constant

4 30.77%
12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

Default Changing Enneagram Type?

I'm just curious to know how flexible this test is because each time I have taken it, I have gotten a different type. First it was 5, then 8 and then 1. This MBTI is always INTJ though, even when I feel like I'm being totally honest and open about my emotional self.

I see info about 4w5 or 5w6 or whatever but what about 8w1 or 8w5? Am I off the path here?

IMO Enneagram has given me a fraction of the insight that MBTI did... am I the only one who has this problem... IE a stable MBTI and fluctuating Enneagram?

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Enneagram says that people move in "directions of growth" where they become more like a different type. For a 5 that direction is towards 8. There is some flexibility, although it's different than the wings.

But yeah, enneagram is generally a much less consistent system.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

That was very helpful Poppy, thank you. I hadn't found that information anywhere. I can see myself moving from 5 toward 8 but not the strong and overly aggressive unhealthy type 8... that scares me.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Enneagram type doesn't change. But yeah basically what poppy said.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Enneagram type doesn't change. But yeah basically what poppy said.
    That's difficult to believe.

It seems to me that enneagram type is more about behavior while MBTI type is more about thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    I see info about 4w5 or 5w6 or whatever but what about 8w1 or 8w5? Am I off the path here?
    Wings are only one number off from the type in either direction.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I'm just curious to know how flexible this test is because each time I have taken it, I have gotten a different type. First it was 5, then 8 and then 1. This MBTI is always INTJ though, even when I feel like I'm being totally honest and open about my emotional self.

IMO Enneagram has given me a fraction of the insight that MBTI did... am I the only one who has this problem... IE a stable MBTI and fluctuating Enneagram?
    Tests wont help you much with the enneagram, learn the system from the basics up and it'll become more usefull than MBTI ever was... or at least it'll be more interesting than MBTI ever was...

In my experience, the tests have only ever been right 1 in 3 times... which is quite the coincidence
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    That's difficult to believe.

It seems to me that enneagram type is more about behavior while MBTI type is more about thought process.
    Enneagram is about motivations and 'psychological defence mechanisms' (<-- as many people have said). MBTI covers the how, enneagram covers the why.

Wings are only one number off from the type in either direction
    why do so many people have trouble with that...
    5 3 9

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Enneagram is about motivations and 'psychological defence mechanisms' (<-- as many people have said). MBTI covers the how, enneagram covers the why.
    This is just a side note, but I don't think any of the systems presented here covers the why. Enneagram is a better description of the how than MBTI, but it still doesn't explain how the motivations and "psychological defense mechanisms" were developed.

Just as one can't say "he behaves like that because he's an ENFJ" (obviously people do it, but it's completely self-explanatory - one has to look at what makes the person an ENFJ), one can't really say "he behaves like that because he's Enneagram this and this". It describes the person well, but it doesn't explain them. I believe people don't become their types out of this air. It has very deep psychological reasons, and only understanding these reasons will make one understand the person in depth.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Don't worry about the tests, they're just supposed to be rough guides to the several types you're most likely to be and even Riso and Hudson say theirs turns out to be accurate only about 80% of the time. The best way to decide your type is to learn and understand exactly what the types are all most afraid of and the set of strategies for dealing with it that they're most attached to. I've not seen any websites that do this adequately. It's much better to read a few books on the subject.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

This has been an interesting thread (at least to me). I agree with the idea that the why isn't so easily pinpointed. I tend to think of these personality theories as a decoder ring for our most natural or comfortable way of behaving. I always believed in nurture as opposed to nature, then I had a child and was really floored by her behaviors that seemed to come out of nowhere from birth. It seems to me that personality is somewhere in the middle. MBTI may explain the most comfortable way of operating and Enneagram the motivator for those coping skills but I see the why as a unique and individualistic thing.

What fascinates me the most is that with so many people in the world and so many experiences (both positive and traumatic) we end up with so few basic ways of handling life. I often wonder if our children or our children's children will have different personality types, if this too will evolve. Perhaps I am admitting to the lack of recent reading on these topics but I'm more of an explorer of ideas than a verbatim reader.