User Tag List

12 Last

Post Enneagram is an overgeneralization of human nature

No offense, but I think only fools believe in the enneagram. I met many people in this world who doesn't fit either one of the 9 enneagrams, nor could I believe that human nature can be categorized and generalized into 9 types. Human beings and their psychological development comes in all shapes and sizes? I look foward to other's opinion on this?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I read something on an Enneagram website that said that some people will not fit inside the system as well as others.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Permabanned

you could use that same argument to debate MBTI, except make it 16.

Or 16 types . There are at least 500 million other ENFPs out there. I'm not too worried that we are all the same or even very similar.

Having 9 types just means the categories are broad. You are right, the nine types don't encompass all the possibilities. But it gives some information to know where a person fits best in the system, so provides us with something useful. I'm actually not sure of the psychology and theory behind it, but it would be interesting to know why it is the way it is. The dichotomies of MBTi make some sense and create what seems to be a closed system, whereas the enneagram seems more like star signs.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

18 types, plus flavors. they're all just strategies that eventually come into shape. but perhaps you'd rather stay with freud, or even reject ego-fixation altogether as a concept, or maybe take a lacanian route? theory is always crazy bc it's a product of language whose backing cannot be seen in plain sight in so much as it can be deemed consistent/coherent within its own language/logic system. the problem of self-typing, or "officially" administered results is the problem of passing information into the system thru interpretation and back in order to judge the results empirically. all of these stages can be and are flawed.

Permabanned

I've always said and believed this saying, in that jung's theory is trying to explain a stereotype that explains our behavior and thought processes as humans, not vice versa. The main reason for people to study MBTI is to not simulate a stereotype but to understand it.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

OP = frustrated person that can't find their way in either typology system.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

9 enneagram types with two subtypes for each type = 18 types

18 types with different descriptory differences (the wing can be either light, moderate or heavy) = 54 types.

54 different types is a lot more than any other system of personality typing.

You could even take it further, since a person could be a 5w4 where the 5 stood for 51% of the 5 and the 4 stood for 49% of that persons personality. While another could have 85% of 5 and 15% of 4 in their personality. The first example being a light wing 4 the second a heavy wing 4. So its so different for each person. Plus some theories talk about 9 levels of development. Which means that on top of the percentages you can also take the levels of developement in to account.

I would say as Ive read more about enneagram it makes a lot more sense to me as a tool I can use in personal development than MBTi. MBTi's strengths are different and can better be used to identify and communicate better with other people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

9 types, two wings plus balanced wings, plus the additional influences I've seen...

That's 54 before you even think about weighting like slow riot indicates.

If it were a perfect fit then it'd just be "Hi I'm Dave, I'm me".
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    9 enneagram types with two subtypes for each type = 18 types

18 types with different descriptory differences (the wing can be either light, moderate or heavy) = 54 types.

54 different types is a lot more than any other system of personality typing.

You could even take it further, since a person could be a 5w4 where the 5 stood for 51% of the 5 and the 4 stood for 49% of that persons personality. While another could have 85% of 5 and 15% of 4 in their personality. The first example being a light wing 4 the second a heavy wing 4. So its so different for each person. Plus some theories talk about 9 levels of development. Which means that on top of the percentages you can also take the levels of developement in to account.

I would say as Ive read more about enneagram it makes a lot more sense to me as a tool I can use in personal development than MBTi. MBTi's strengths are different and can better be used to identify and communicate better with other people.
    i think i agree. although i do find that cognitive function development, cultivation, style, etc all provide different feels for communication within the same mb type. i think combining them both helps identify needs when communicating (which = thinking out-loud, socially).

the key is ego-complex vs communicating (again, = thinking/information processing). both systems can be used to suss out an almost infinite number of psychological relationships. (ie in mb, the quadras get interesting, or interaction styles, or different temperament theories, etc).