• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A simple way to figure out your Enneagram type

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
First, if you haven’t yet, learn the system yourself instead of relying on others who don’t know what they’re doing to type you—which isn’t to say you have to become an Enneagram scholar. Tests aren’t reliable either, at their the best being around 70% accurate (even Don Riso admits that his acclaimed RHETI has an overall accuracy of 72%).

When you’re fluent with the 9 types, if you’re still undecided between two or more as your main type, compare the security and stress types of each of those. You may already know about the stress and security points, but people tend to overlook them as indicators when unable to decide between types.

For example: type 5s go to type 7 under stress, losing their trademark focus and concentration and becoming scattered and impulsive. Likewise, in situations or environments they’re more comfortable in, normally reserved 5s can become 8-ish (bossy, domineering, confrontational, etc). Thus, the 7 and 8 patterns are important to a 5. Now let’s say you’re trying to decide between 4 and 5 as your main type. Reviewing your life, not just the present, you would then likewise consider 4’s stress and security points: 2 and 1. In most cases it should be clear which pair of stress and security patterns fit you better.

A list of the stress and security points of every type

1: 4 (stress), 7 (security/integration)
2: 8, 4
3: 9, 6
4: 2, 1
5: 7, 8
6: 3, 9
7: 1, 5
8: 5, 2
9: 6, 3

You also have to allow that, though pretty accurate, the Enneagram’s not a perfect system. You may not find a description you strongly identify with in any one type or subtype.

Finally, when you know your type, don’t become too attached to it. The Enneagram was designed to help you free yourself from that kind of overattachment to self and personality – though certain Enneagram gurus do take the quasi Eastern religion approach too far, going to the “self and world are only illusions and the personality is a disease you need to be cured of” extreme. Some of you, however, could use a dose of the Buddha potion for grasping too much at identity and validation. This ends up being a Narcissus trap that erases the fine line between self-awareness and self-obsession. Essentially, the formula is to use your Enneagram type as a map to guide you through your inner terrain (personality fixations or complexes) to connect more with your center.

It took me 10 minutes to write this and I don’t work for free. So kindly post your credit card number before exiting this thread. Thank you. Have a great day.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Gee, I’m so impressed by how much you know about the Enneagram, Evilrobot. Like this board didn’t already have enough pathetic posers, which is exactly what you are.

SecantSquared

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Gee, I’m so impressed by how much you know about the Enneagram, Evilrobot. Like this board didn’t already have enough pathetic posers, which is exactly what you are.

don't be a hater, bro.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4

Yep, that’s me. That’s why this thread got so many replies, because I’m one of the 24/7 fixtures here who can post my grocery list and get 50 responses. Jackass.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is interesting. Makes me wonder if I'm actually a 2 who acts 8 when stressed and 4 when comfortable. Is this your theory that you made up?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is interesting. Makes me wonder if I'm actually a 2 who acts 8 when stressed and 4 when comfortable. Is this your theory that you made up?

No, integration and disintegration are core parts of the enneagram theory.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don’t believe this, ms, I invented the Enneagram.

You also seem think that I'm in love with you, so I don't think I'm going to trust this statement. :1377:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I integrate into 9w4 and disintegrate into 7w2, what does that make me?

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This was useful, as I was unclear whether I was a 4/5 or seven. I've narrowed it down to 4 or 5 now.

But I could still be a 7....

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP

hahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I know more about enneagram than all of you punk's put together. I'M THE REAL DEAL. I'M HAAAARD.

*flexes*

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Oh, but otherwise, a good basic post to for engrm. newbies.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Pretty good technique, basically solidifying Enneagram 5 for me.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just to clarify.

A 4 under stress behaves like an unhealthy 2, right? So does that mean that when a 4 feels secure they behave like a healthy or unhealthy 1?